The Finish Line! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old August 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #1
Major Player

The Finish Line!

Just emailed my links to Dylan: I'm going out of town without internet access tomorrow morning and I need to spend today finding creative ways to pack liquids and gels. So I had to finish up last night.

It feels good to be done! Hopefully, everybody else will post a message here when they finish: I'll be interested to read later how many folks finish a little early vs. get done at 11:59PM PST Sunday night. :)

I'll be gone until next Thursday: if films start getting posted before then, don't treat my lack of feedback as a lack of interest.

Good luck, everybody!

Bill
William Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I have yet to even start! We have a script but couldn't shoot last weekend due to schedule. If Saturday is not Sunny, the whole thing goes down the tubes.

Curse the sun...
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Major Player

I finish writing today, shoot tomorrow and edit Sunday.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I shot most of mine already. I have to shoot a bit more on Saturday but Im editing every other scene and sliding that in later. Sunday I have a paintball tournament so ill probably be up lady saturday night finishing mine. Right now though I am working on making it shorter because im way over the 3 minute mark as it is.
Jeff Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I had all the shooting done by last Sunday and was dragging my heels editing this week. I'm completley finished with the edit, but since I have no hosting site I'll have to find the sweetest compression to use for Video.google(any suggestions for google compression?) since they recompress.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Trustee

wrote the script, Refined the script, rewrote the script, rerefined the script, finally ready to shoot tomorrow but of course 60% chance of rain, sooo looks like there may be a complete rewrite, if worse comes to worse I'll just shoot a music video for blind melon's "No rain" or something like that.

Wahoo! But I still want to shoot the scritp that's written so instead of one movie I may end up with two but only one will be in ::ahem:: "competition"
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well,

We're half-way through shooting, and about 60% of the indoor stuff is done. Still missing are the most cheesy (should I say dramatic) indoor scenes, and the finale, which is an outdoor shot, tomorrow in the EARLY morning.

This leaves Saturday for FX, composition, rotoscoping and editing, and Sunday for sinal touches and scoring. Looks like I might even finish this one!

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Just came indoors for a short break while my dad's at the hardware store around the corner (he makes a great prop master); making good progress with set dressing, with only some minor woodwork left to do. Everything should be ready to go by the end of the day, leaving all day tomorrow to shoot my footage and, like Hugo, do my editing and compositing. All I have to say is thank God for backburner!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok, i'm done. well almost I think. No, I'm done. except for the intro, I think, mmmm, done?
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Well, I got hit with the first, practical, idea last NIGHT! Now all I have to do is wait for (insert timpani here) "THE SUN" to come up..... If all goes well; 1) it won't suck, and b) it'll keep me off the "Wall of Shame" for this one.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #11
Major Player

I'm on schedule

I told my friends who signed up to be crew that it would be
- flounder with no ideas thursday and friday
- get with the writer on saturday to bang out the script (thankfully she had ideas)
- shoot on Sunday
- edit all week
- panicked reshoots of things that didn't work on Saturday (yup, I called that right)
- finish editing, compress and post on Sunday.

Actually I'm going to try to do my panicked reshoots this morning and finish editing this afternoon so that I can go to tonight's party and tomorrow's baseball game guilt free (and laptop free).
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm done, I'm done, I'm done [happy feet dance]!!!! Talk about guerrilla editing! I shot, edited, composited, rendered and uploaded everything in a 12-hour period. The bottle-of-wine-happy-hour at 4:00 this afternoon delayed things a bit.....but it's online and the link submitted. *phew!*

...and NOTHING to watch on a Saturday night....don't that just beat all!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Major Player

God, what a miserable day; all my footage, as usual, is too damned dark. I'll have to invest in a decent field monitor sooner or later, 'cause right now I can't judge squat as far as color and brightness are concerned.

Got a very good idea of what went wrong, and I'm coming up with some ideas right now for the panicked reshoots taking place in the morning. It'll be down to the wire, for sure, and I've no doubt I'll be up 'til three AM (glad this ends on Pacific time) cutting, rendering and cursing.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Done as in Done

Wrapped it up the way I wanted so have to say I am satisfied with the outcome so I sent the links to Dylan. With this occasion I want to thank you all for the feedback given on my previous entries as it was very helpful in getting this done even better.

Good luck to everyone :)
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Im done, this was harder than I thought. This was a learning experience for sure. Can't wait to see everyone's films.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge