DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   How to edit post? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/102294-how-edit-post.html)

Mike Wade August 28th, 2007 07:17 AM

How to edit post

How do I edit a previous posting in this forum ?

Chris Hurd August 28th, 2007 07:30 AM

After the edit option times out, just post a follow-up using
the quote button and make the correction that way.

Mike Wade August 28th, 2007 07:40 AM

Sorry to be thick Chris but will doing what you suggest affect my original post ?

Chris Hurd August 28th, 2007 07:50 AM

The edit option (button at lower right, next to quote) will affect the original post but it's available only for a short period of time. After the edit option expires, just post a reply to yourself using the quote button and state whatever it was that you want to correct. The original post isn't affected, but you can still make your meaning clear. It would be as though you're stating "when I said that, what I meant to say was..." -- Hope this helps,

Mike Wade August 28th, 2007 07:58 AM

Thanks Chris sorry to put you to the trouble.

Chris Hurd August 28th, 2007 07:59 AM

No trouble, someday all of this will go into a forum user guide.

Wayne Morellini August 29th, 2007 02:42 AM

How do we delete an post. There was an delete function mentioned, but I haven't been able to find it, and I have seen somebody else with the same problem.

Chris Hurd August 29th, 2007 07:40 AM

As a matter of policy, we don't delete posts. Instead we remove them from public view and then only under certain conditions.

If you want one of your posts deleted, it requires the assistance of one of the top moderators (Boyd Ostroff, Greg Boston, Pete Bauer, myself etc.). Just use the "report bad post" button (to the left of every post in a thread). This automatically sends an alert to the moderators about the post in question.

Be sure to state the reason why you want your post removed from public view. If you don't give a reason, we won't remove it. If the post is the only one in a thread, or if it's the *last* post in a thread (meaning in either case that it has received zero replies), then chances are high that we'll go ahead and withdraw the post for you.

If your post *has* received replies, then that creates a problem because we don't want to interrupt the continuity of a thread. A discussion thread represents a dialog between two or more people, and if part of that thread is taken away, it can ruin the value of the discussion. Plus it's disrespectful to the other folks who have taken the time to participate in that discussion.

However it may be possible to withdraw certain kinds of posts from public view while maintaining (or actually improving) the continuity of the discussion. Examples of these kinds of posts are off-topic remarks, comments that are out of context, or one-liners that don't add anything relevant to the discussion (such as "I agree" or "me too" etc.). In fact we usually try to take care of those meta-discursive elements ourselves when we find them.

Some other valid reasons for requesting a post deletion include the realization that you may have said something that was inaccurate, misleading or flat-out wrong; or, maybe just something that you wish you had not have said in the first place. Just report it using the "report bad post" function. We'll work with you to fix whatever the problem was.

Usually the best way to prevent that kind of trouble is to *think* before you post to a popular, widely read internet message board. And usually you can fix the trouble by simply making a follow-up post, stating "what I meant to say was... etc."

Hope this helps,

Wayne Morellini August 29th, 2007 12:34 PM

Thanks, it is usually the case that have accidentally written something ion the wrong post window, or somebody else posts something that changes things while I am still writing. It used to say you can delete somewhere (maybe still does, but I now ignore it) and we wondered how it was done, but now we know. I thought I had missed an control (or my browser was dropping an control). Saw an forum yesterday with an small x button, so I came back here to look for an x button, thinking I must have missed it, but saw this thread.