Sorry about that, folks... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #16
Major Player

The page included a Real Audio music file that played when you opened it. If you don't have Real Player installed, then that's probabaly what the warning was. The .RAM file is a Real Audio file, so it's probably the same thing.

Glad to hear no-one's scanners picked up any nasties. My XP/IE6 seems to be running just fine too, no warnings from my Symantec AntiVirus.

- Mikko
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson View Post
The page included a Real Audio music files that played when you opened it. If you don't have Real Player installed, then that's probabaly what the warning was. The .RAM file is a Real Audio file, so it's probably the same thing.

Glad to hear no-one's scanners picked up any nasties. My XP/IE6 seems to be running just fine too, no warnings from my Symantec AntiVirus.

- Mikko
Did you open the .ram file? I know that's supposed to be a Real Audio Media file, but I figured it was one of those tricks where they change the extension so that you'll open it and get a nasty surprise (perhaps one that isn't so obvious).

Another trick they do is to use filename.ext (then a bunch of spaces).ext and your system will use the last three for the real extension while you only see the first bogus one as most file views are truncated like that.

I think most of these clowns are trying to install back door key logging on your system so that they can steal your login and password for things like online banking and credit card transactions.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #18
Major Player

I have Real Player installed, so it just played the music automatically. I didn't see any files downloaded.

I have my system set to show all file extensions, so I see the whole filename every time.

- Mikko
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Wrangler

that was pretty freaky. but i have to commend chris for tearing down at lightening speed.

so you computer jocks who have macs didn't have any issues? what would i run to test my machine? any suggestions?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
i have to commend chris
Not me, but the omnipotent and all-mighty Jenn, she's the hero.

I wasn't even at the desk when it went down.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Bill,

I was pretty sure we weren't susceptible to anything but just wanted to make sure. You know where I work and I'd never here the end of it.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #22
Wrangler

Here’s a vignette with a cast of four DV Info members—Dylan Couper, Bradley Marlow, Greg Boston and yours truly. Hope they don’t mind me telling it, but I have to smile at the little episode that played out from my home. I retrieved all the times from my cell phone:

2:30 pm: I click on the site and see the page. My PC doesn’t download and play the audio file because I don’t have whatever it needed. *whew.* But what should I do about this awful thing that has happened??? I know…
2:31 pm: Send a text message to Dylan telling him to go to the site if he doesn’t want to miss seeing a hacker’s calling card on DV Info. (Heh heh…sorry, Chris. :)
2:33 pm: I call Brad Marlow and get him out of the shower because now I’m wondering if maybe it’s just some bad thing only on my computer. He logs in—buck nekkid, he tells me—and sees the page for himself. He notes the creepy music. I decide to call Greg.
2:36 pm: Greg checks the site and says, “Oh, crap—it downloaded something!” Then he says something about calling Chris and hangs up the phone in my ear. (Actually, I think we squeezed a goodbye in there. ;)
2:40 pm: After hearing Greg say something about a download I get worried that because of my text message to Dylan I could be responsible for his PC getting hosed. I call him. He hasn’t received my message so I explain about the site and then add, “Don’t do it!” There is a pause and then Dylan says, “What is that?” (*sigh* I guess it’s like telling someone not to think of a pink elephant.) What he says after that I can’t repeat because of Chris’ policy concerning naughty words…
2:49 pm: I call Brad again. He has finally put on some boxers, so walks me through clearing stuff off my PC. While we’re talking I receive a voicemail from Greg apologizing for hanging up abruptly (not necessary) and telling me that the site is down. Later, he kindly calls again and explains more about spyware and my money being stolen.
That night: Just to be safe I download a free spyware "doctor" but it only tells you what ugly things are on your PC—you must buy the program if you actually want them killed. Anyway, I’m about to give out my credit card info for it but then I think, “Now, if that’s what the spies are after, is this wise?” So, I guess I’ll do it the old-fashioned way and buy something at the store.

The End.

Addendum: I love this place. And I love the friends I’ve made here who provide me with so much info…and entertainment! :)
Now, if whoever caused the little ruckus is reading this, I can only say, “Be nice, and go do something GOOD with your skills.” Jeff and Chris have better things to do with their time.
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #23
Wrangler

We probably would have been back up faster than an hour and a half if I hadn't been operating on three hours of sleep and had spent the six hours before the crack painting a room at my office. Oh well, these things seem to always happen at the most inopportune times.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mobley View Post
I use Malware Pro it found what ever it was something I haven't seen before, but it always finds that stuff. good program!
For your info, Malware Pro, Spyware Pro and Adware Pro, are NOT programs to remove spyware/malware.
Today there was an article about this software in a Norwegian computer magazine.
The best thing you can do is to uninstall/remove Malware Pro, and use another anti spyware software instead.
Link to the Norwegian article:
http://www.idg.no/pcworld/article83044.ece
(text in Norwegian only)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements