DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Issue with the site? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/121358-issue-site.html)

Rafael Lopes May 11th, 2008 02:12 AM

Issue with the site?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this (if it's not, I'm sorry, mods...feel free to move it where it belongs). I was wondering if anyone here is experiencing issues whenever they click on a link or a button. Whenever I click on a button or a link, a considerable amount of times I get a pop window asking me if I want to "save" or "open with" the "forumdisplay.php".

Chris Hurd May 11th, 2008 06:29 AM

Which browser and operating system are you using?

Rafael Lopes May 11th, 2008 12:31 PM

Hi Chris,

I'm using firefox and win xp. Is this a common issue with this setup?
It's nothing serious. I can still surf here. But I do get my share of pop up windows. For instance I just tried to open a thread and I got "index.php" window.

Edward Troxel May 11th, 2008 01:07 PM

I'm using firefox on WinXP with no such issues.

Ernest Freeman May 11th, 2008 07:56 PM

All of the time! Very, very, annoying to say th least.
I use Firefox, both at home and at work. I do not seem to have the problem at work, so I've chalked it up to some stupid setting that I must have turned on/off inadvertently. I've uninstalled every add-on at home, to no avail.
It really gets me miffed when it happens during the log-in screen.
....you have five tries remaining...burrr.
However, this is the only forum on which I have the problem???

Robert Huber May 11th, 2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes (Post 875302)
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is where I should be posting this (if it's not, I'm sorry, mods...feel free to move it where it belongs). I was wondering if anyone here is experiencing issues whenever they click on a link or a button. Whenever I click on a button or a link, a considerable amount of times I get a pop window asking me if I want to "save" or "open with" the "forumdisplay.php".

This doesn't really have anything to do with the site. This is a known bug with Firefox relating to php pages and a combination of things still in the air. I don't know if the folks at Firefox have figured out what is causing it yet though (it is apparently very sporadic). Probably something to do with a combination of Firefox + php + one or more plugins acting together under certain circumstances. Whatever it is... they are aware of it and would imagine trying to find a remedy. So, for whatever it's worth... it's not the site.

Chris Hurd May 11th, 2008 08:41 PM

Thanks Robert -- for what it's worth, my default browser is FireFox on WinXP and I've never seen the issue.

Ernest Freeman May 11th, 2008 09:39 PM

After posting my reply, I looked to see if any plug-ins remained within Firefox that are not present at work. The culprit, so it seems for me, was “Real Player”. Not the first time that I’ve had issues with these guys. Needless to say, it is gone and so are the constant issues with this particular site. Not that it was the site, only a conflict between the two.

Doug Okamoto May 11th, 2008 09:46 PM

I hate Real Player!

OOPS! Did I say that out loud? I live too close to Seattle to be saying those kinds of things...

Robert Huber May 11th, 2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 875641)
Thanks Robert -- for what it's worth, my default browser is FireFox on WinXP and I've never seen the issue.

Same here. I use Firefox almost exculsively, and I have never had the problem. I guess that is why it is so difficult to track. A lot of people are having the problem though.

For example:
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view...entStyle_plain

Chris Soucy May 11th, 2008 10:15 PM

This thing.................

just keeps rumbleing on.

Seems it was a topic of discussion about the time I joined up and still happens to my system in fits and starts.

Thing is, I use IE and don't have Real Player.

The constants seem to be: Win XP, DVinfo, Factor "X" (and I can't even confirm the Win XP bit!).

CS

Robert Huber May 11th, 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 875688)
just keeps rumbleing on.

The constants seem to be: Win XP, DVinfo, Factor "X" (and I can't even confirm the Win XP bit!).

CS

See... some people are reporting it with Vista too. It's a crafty one. Kind of makes one wonder though if it is really a bug or in fact a reaction to an infection of sorts.

Rafael Lopes May 12th, 2008 01:48 AM

It's weird because it comes and goes. I can spend months without it ever happening and then I get a full month when all links/buttons I press give me a pop up window the first time I click on them.

Russ Holland May 18th, 2008 05:47 AM

This happens to me quite often with this site as well, XP/Vista and Firefox 2. I click Cancel and click the link to the thread again and it works.

Also does it when I log in. I click redirect and I get the message, cancel, click the redirect link again and it lets me in.