DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Forum software issues? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/124857-forum-software-issues.html)

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2008 07:31 AM

Forum software issues?

Chris,

Sorry to be a pain! Ever since the forum upgrade, I'm getting this error a lot:

Quote:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /conf/newreply.php on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/2.2.4 (Unix) PHP/4.4.7 Server at www.dvinfo.net Port 80
Similar messages appear for accessing other pages.

I thought it was down to my habit of opening multiple tabs in Internet Explorer 7, but it also happens when I just click "reply" in a post or open a topic normally.

Am I alone in this, or are there any suggestions of what I might do?

Thanks in advance.

Boyd Ostroff June 28th, 2008 07:47 AM

Hi Mike,

Sorry you're having problems. Looking at your profile I don't see anything obvious which would prevent you from posting or viewing topics normally. Have you tried using a different browser, or another computer? Perhaps that would help localize the problem.

Mike Beckett June 28th, 2008 07:50 AM

Hi Boyd,

Thanls for getting back to me so quickly.

It is a strange one. I use similar forums on many other sites and don't have any problems. If it isn't a widespread problem, I will try deleting all my cookies, and if that doesn't work I will try Firefox.

Now that I think about it, I also get it from my work PC (also Windows XP with IE7) and via a different ISP (a leased line via Worldcom, I have an ADSL line at home).

Not that I ever read DVinfo when I'm supposed to be working... of course not...!

George Kroonder June 28th, 2008 07:52 AM

I've been getting these also, intermittently, over something like the past week (and not before).

I usually open multiple posts in Firefox or IE tabs from the forum lists and sometimes I get the 403 error. If I reload the page once or sometimes twice the thread shows up correctly.

I've pretty much ignored it as I figure the site may be busy or something and it's easily worked around.

I just had the error ~15 min ago on one page out of maybe 10.

Regards,
George/

Boyd Ostroff June 28th, 2008 08:04 AM

I'll pass this along to Chris and see if he has any ideas...

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2008 08:14 AM

I'll forward the thread to Jeff, our resident server guru, to see if we can resolve this pronto.

Andrew Kufahl June 28th, 2008 08:29 AM

I know this is already being sent up the chain, but I too have been getting this alot since the upgrade.

Another thing that's been happening pretty regularly is that if I log in a couple times and am auto-logged off, subsequent login attempts present me with the message saying I'm logged in, but when I get redirected I'm not logged in. I end up having to close my browser and delete my temporary internet files and cookies to resolve it. This too has been happening pretty regularly since the upgrade.

Andy Wilkinson June 28th, 2008 11:59 AM

thread subscription icon (tick box) now gone

OK this is a minor thing compared to some issues above but I've noticed recently that the little box (with a tick in it) that I used to get alongside threads I've posted in is now no longer there. Maybe something I've done?..... but whilst the tech guru is on the case.....assuming it's not just me.

Chris Soucy June 28th, 2008 03:52 PM

And another thing....................

Whilst we're at it.

Teensie weensie thing, hardly worth mentioning except that it, too, seems to have just suddenly appeared.

Every once in a while, maybe every 20 or 30 pages, it returns a screen too wide for the screen (does that make any sense? - still working on my second cup of Java!) and I need to scroll sideways to get to the end of the lines.

Sounds like Jeff's going to be a busy boy.

CS

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 900260)
...it returns a screen too wide for the screen

Next time that happens, check to see if there's a large photo embedded in the thread somewhere on that page. If so, I can fix that easily. If not, please try to grab a screen shot and forward it to me. I haven't seen this issue yet.

Chris Soucy June 28th, 2008 09:23 PM

Sort of, er, like this............

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know how to actually feed a "Print Screen" shot into the DVinfo text box without turning it into an attachment?

Stumped both me and the missus.

CS

PS: Subsequent to posting this, discovered this seems to happen when "back arrowing" out of a forum or a "last post" entry.

Do a refresh and it's cool. Dive into either of the above and back arrow, hey presto, too wide.

Chris Hurd June 28th, 2008 11:17 PM

First time I've ever seen that... another item on the list then...

Trond Saetre June 29th, 2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 900189)
OK this is a minor thing compared to some issues above but I've noticed recently that the little box (with a tick in it) that I used to get alongside threads I've posted in is now no longer there. Maybe something I've done?..... but whilst the tech guru is on the case.....assuming it's not just me.

That happens to me also. It has been like that since the forum (software?) was updated a short while ago.
Would be great to get this feature back if possible.