DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Google Search, and query re: video links (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/135297-google-search-query-re-video-links.html)

Chris Soucy October 6th, 2008 02:13 AM

Google Search, and query re: video links

Chris,

You have no idea how usefull the new Google search bar has been!

I have been stunned and amazed at how much relevant stuff it has dredged up from the bowels of DVinfo.

Only today, I was asked a Q well outside my area of expertise (ok, so what ain't?) and had an answer in less than 2 minutes with a bit of carefull phraseing of search parameters.

Magic.

Before, I would have had to trawl through gawd knows.............................er, why do I get the impression I'm preaching to the converted?

That's the good stuff.

Bad stuff:

Is it me, or has there been an absolute "open door" policy for members to post their videos on any and every forum they see fit with nary a word of censure nor a rap over the knuckles for doing so?

Most of the posters are reasonably new, but that is not an excuse.

Their posts have nothing whatsoever relevant to the forum nor threads and are simply "showing off" (says me).

There is a well established forum for this stuff, why is it not, apparently, enforced?

I do realise you can't be everywhere at once, but surely the Mods have the leeway to move this stuff and rap knuckles when neccessary?

I'm not having a go at anyone who has posted a video link, far from it, more power to your elbow, but posting yet another video link in the Canon XH A1 forum with absolutely no reference to either the camera or settings is beyond bizarre.

Is this just me being an old fogey or has anyone else taken umbridge at this?

Back to the good stuff - hey, the guy who thought of "Google'ing DVinfo" really should be up for a case of beer, lucky sod.

Geez, I'll have to come up with a good idea myself one of these days! (not sure how the case of beer would survive the trip, but there you go).

CS

Chris Hurd October 6th, 2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 947371)
You have no idea how usefull the new Google search bar has been!

Glad to hear it -- everyone who visits the site (registered members as well as unregistered guests) can leverage two ways to search: by using the forum search tool at The Digital Video Information Network - Search Forums and / or the Google search tool at the bottom of every page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 947371)
Is it me, or has there been an absolute "open door" policy for members to post their videos on any and every forum they see fit... There is a well established forum for this stuff, why is it not, apparently, enforced? ...I do realise you can't be everywhere at once, but surely the Mods have the leeway to move this stuff and rap knuckles when neccessary?

First, with regard to video links: we're not in the business of driving traffic to video hosting sites elsewhere on the web. As I've mentioned before, we're currently hard at work developing our *own* video hosting platform, free to members of course, and when it launches, we'll expect everyone to use it, so the drive-by off-site video links will be going away.

Second, there's no way we can be everywhere at once, so *please* be sure to use the Report link (it's the icon at the bottom left of every post on this site) in order to get our attention with regard to a questionable post. It's anonymous and efficient, but it works only if people actually use it, and in my opinion it's not being used enough. Thanks for understanding,