DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Any site / server problems -- post here. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/137013-any-site-server-problems-post-here.html)

Serena Steuart December 8th, 2008 11:33 PM

Gallery problem

When I try to access the gallery I get "warning: invalid etc" . Have seen this for last week or so. Anything obvious? Vista?

The message is:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /export/sites/dvinfo.net/docs/gallery/gallery_global.php on line 352

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067

the last being repeated and repeated and .........

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 07:53 AM

*sigh* Yeah, it's definitely broken -- I'll probably remove the link. Right now the best way to share pictures here is to include them in a post as attachments (manage attachments below the text area input field when making a post), or if that option isn't present, then add pictures to your profile (Controls > Pictures & Albums > Add Album > Add Pictures), and post a link to them, such as this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/c...t-members.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/c...yd-shiner.html

As far as the old Galeery is concerned, my primary goal is to preserve all of the images and associated metadata and export everything to a new, improved gallery solution -- yet another important item on a seemingly endless list of things to do around here.

Serena Steuart December 9th, 2008 05:55 PM

OK. One of those things....

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 06:24 PM

One of *many* things.

We're pedaling as fast as we can.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 01:01 PM

Is this another new problem?

When attempting a search, I've started getting the error message:

"You answered the NoSpam! question incorrectly. Please reevaluate your answer or, if you found yourself unable to answer it, you can refresh for another question if the administrator has enabled multiple questions. If you find yourself repeatedly unable to answer the NoSpam! questions, please contact the forum administration".

Jenn Kramer December 10th, 2008 01:34 PM

Colin, where are you searching from, the drop-down search menu?

Edward Phillips December 10th, 2008 01:58 PM

I get the same message from using the drop down search menu. If I'm signed in it works however.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn Kramer (Post 975844)
Colin, where are you searching from, the drop-down search menu?

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Phillips (Post 975860)
I get the same message from using the drop down search menu. If I'm signed in it works however.

That's what seems to be happening now.

I used to be able to search from the drop down menu without logging in. It's not that much of an inconvenience, but the error message doesn't seem appropriate.

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2008 04:04 PM

Remember, there are two ways to search on DV Info Net -- through the forum software itself (the "search" link at the top of any page), and the Google box at the bottom of any page. You can search down to two-letter strings, there's no forced timeout between searches; we try to make it easy around here.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 04:47 PM

And indeed you do Chris! I only mentioned it because the lazy way used to work for me.
Thanks for the reminder of the merits of the Google box - I still forget about that sometimes.

Waldemar Winkler January 16th, 2009 07:50 PM

I visited DVI on my laptop, generally not used for visiting DVI. I logged in, reviewed topics of interest, and decided to reply to a thread. Spent a good amount of time composing a reply. When finished, I submitted the reply, and was promptly notified I was not logged in. Better than 30 minutes of carefully composed response was gone forever.

Clearly, something is decidedly wrong! I was most definitely logged in.

This is the second time I have lost a rather detailed post under the same circumstances.

I'm following the prompts, why is the system failing?

Chris Hurd January 16th, 2009 08:14 PM

I'll pass this along to Jenn, who manages our server... meanwhile, it's always a good idea to compose long posts in Notepad or some similar text program, just to be on the safe side. Sorry for the trouble, I know what it's like to lose a carefully written article.

Bob Hart January 16th, 2009 09:18 PM

Waldemar.

If you are inclined like me to compose replies on-line and it grows and you run off the end of the time limit, perhaps adopt as I have, the practice of "select all" the body of the text, "copy", then "submit".

If you then find you must log in again, fill in both log in spaces you will be offered, then click "log in" on the top right one. I don't know why both spaces must be filled, or why you must click on the top right. It simply may be a co-incidence or something weird about my computer, probably something weird about myself but let's not go there.

You may find you are returned to a "done" screen but everything is blank. Other times you will be returned to the message and find your reply has arrived.

Sometimes you must go back to the portal and work your way back to the message where you will find it has arrived. If everything hangs, it will be because somebody has replied about the same time as you. Your message will not be there. There will be another.

That's when you start another reply, "paste" your copied message into the space and click "submit".

TingSern Wong January 17th, 2009 06:15 PM

I have encountered this behavior several times in the past too. Now - I no longer post long replies directly onto this forum. I opened up Notepad, keyed in the reply into it, AND SAVE the reply into my notebook HDD, then copy and paste into the forum. I think there is some timeout mechanism at work behind the scene.

Colin McDonald January 17th, 2009 06:24 PM

I thought I'd lost one recently because it told me I wasn't logged in when I hit submit and there seemed to be no trace of it, so I reposted (I had kept a copy) but when I quit the browser and logged in again, there was a double post.