DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Any site / server problems -- post here. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/137013-any-site-server-problems-post-here.html)

Chris Soucy November 1st, 2008 05:57 PM

Any site / server problems -- post here.

I just know there's gotta be a rational explanation, but for the life of me, I can't work out what it is.

I refer to the displayed "post times" in the following threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/home-away...tml#post958494

and

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...tml#post958429

My system shows

12.00 ; 11.34; 11.49 & 11.52 AM

for the first and

12.04; 04.05; 07.01 & 08.04 AM

for the second.

All "Today" and all "AM".

Huh?

Are these the posters local times or..................er, dunno.

(I will conveniently overlook the double post and the posters apparent belief he's on talkback radio).

Even the knowledge that I'm 4 hours later than Tokyo hasn't really helped me with this one.

(It's coming up for 13.00 hrs here, 0900 in Tokyo).

CS

Allen Plowman November 1st, 2008 06:21 PM

I see 4:00 am, 3:34 3:49 3:52 4:51 pm for the first one, showing California time

Chris Soucy November 1st, 2008 06:41 PM

Huh, Chris........................

You been messing with that clock of yours or something?

CS

Chris Hurd November 1st, 2008 06:56 PM

The times of every post on the site are listed in your local time... whatever GMT + or - setting that you've indicated in your user options, found at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/usercp.php. I've merged the two threads together... other than that I'm not sure what the problem is here. I'm not seeing any issue with the post times from my end.

Vito DeFilippo November 4th, 2008 10:40 AM

Advanced Search error message

Anyone else getting this today? When I click on "Search" then choose "Advanced Search" I get this error in both Firefox and Internet Explorer:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /export/sites/dvinfo.net/docs/gallery/gallery_global.php on line 352

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067

I should add it's when I click on "Advanced Search" under "Search Gallery" in the popup. I don't usually click on this one, so maybe it's always been like this. I just clicked on the usual one, and it works fine.

Chris Swanberg November 4th, 2008 11:57 AM

I have encountered the same issue last evening.

Andy Wilkinson November 4th, 2008 12:15 PM

Gallery error messages

Also, when I click on the Galley tab I get a very long list of warnings as below. (With IE7 on Win XP SP3). When I get a chance I'll try it on Safari on my MBP to see what happens there too

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2008 12:23 PM

As if the other pending glitches described elsewhere weren't already enough to deal with, I'll have to concede that the gallery is officially broken. Right now my primary headache is how to best preserve all of the images and descriptive data for further use later on. Meanwhile, for basic image uploading, please use your albums option, found within your profile page. Here's mine:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/c...t-members.html

Start your own by going to Controls > Pictures & Albums > Add Album.

Jeff Harper November 27th, 2008 03:44 AM

Slow page loading?

I'm trying to narrow down the cause of very slow page loading. It appears to happen to me mostly on this site and is intermittent. Is this happening to others as well? Seems to have started relatively recently and is particlularly bad when posting.

Trond Saetre November 27th, 2008 06:31 AM

Happens to me once in a while too. And as you say, only on dvinfo.net.

Also when I try to post, I sometimes get logged out.
Does this happen to you as well?

Jeff Harper November 27th, 2008 07:41 AM

I don't getted logged out, but I have recieved a couple of timeouts.

I installed anti-spyware from Yahoo a few minutes ago, and I must admit after scanning and removing tracking cookies things have improved considerably.

I'm suspecting it was me along, not the site.

Bill Ravens November 27th, 2008 07:54 AM

I'm seeing the same thing....hmmmm...I assumed it was this website. Or a cookie this website sent out.

Vito DeFilippo November 27th, 2008 08:13 AM

Yeah, I get it too. Sometimes the site is fast, other times I get timeouts, the page won't load.

I always figured it was the site traffic, but what do I know...

Jeff Harper November 27th, 2008 09:15 AM

I have no idea, but since I used the yahoo spyware thing, all is still well. Pages are loading superfast again including here.

Jeff Harper November 27th, 2008 09:20 AM

OK, just went to edit a post, and almost timed out again.

Lorinda Norton November 27th, 2008 11:40 AM

I've been having trouble all week--thought it was on my end.

Slow page loading, if it loads at all; time outs; now I'm getting "bad gateway" and "fatal error" messages.

Sorry to be posting such things on Thanksgiving Day, Chris and Jeff K. I'm thankful for you guys and this site! :D

Chris Soucy November 27th, 2008 12:32 PM

Another "me too".............

Slow loading, if it loads at all. Sometimes it simply "forgets" the request all together.

About the last week or so.

CS

Chris Hurd November 27th, 2008 12:37 PM

This is sort of related to the "no notifications" trouble we were having earlier. Jeff has been re-configuring the servers and is still in the process of finding that right load balance. He's aware of the issues, and is working on it as we speak (in between all of his running into the kitchen to check on his turkey in the oven). Overseas folks, please bear with us... this particular day has traditionally been one of time off with family here in the U.S.

Chris Soucy November 27th, 2008 01:27 PM

Now I'm puzzled..........

DVinfo maintains CH posted in this thread @ 7.37, some 5 minutes after mine, but of CH's post there is no sign whatsoever.

What's that all about?

Ah, the ghost in the machine................

CS

Chris Soucy November 27th, 2008 01:29 PM

Ah............

There it is.

Enjoy the day all you US folks.

Just another day at the office for all us foreign types.

Have a good one.

CS

Chris Soucy November 27th, 2008 04:16 PM

Hmm, not a one off.................

Finding more and more threads where the opening/ home page lists a new post but no post is in the thread.

Most odd.

CS

Er, make that "shed loads" of 'em.

Jenn Kramer November 27th, 2008 09:52 PM

We're learning a lot more about the internals of our forum software than we really cared to, but I think we're getting close. Hopefully the weirdness should be resolved in the next day or so and we should be back to our normal speedy selves.

Lorinda Norton November 28th, 2008 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn Kramer (Post 969836)
Hopefully the weirdness should be resolved in the next day or so and we should be back to our normal speedy selves.

Oh, YEAH !! -- lightning fast once again. You're a monster, Jeff! :D Thanks!!

Jenn Kramer December 1st, 2008 03:57 PM

Is anybody still having an issue with slow page loads? It's not happening for me, but the web's a wide and wooly place.

Trond Saetre December 1st, 2008 04:32 PM

Seems like dvinfo is back at normal page load speed again.

But the login/auto logout problems when trying to post still occur.
(As mentioned in a separate thread)

EDIT:
Seems like everything is working perfectly now.

Adam Gold December 3rd, 2008 09:32 PM

The page cannot be displayed > 2nd level forums

This may only be me, as I haven't seen any other posts about this, but whenever I click on the 2nd level sub-forum, I get the message:

"The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed ...
HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer "

Everything works fine at the top level (The Digital Video Information Network) and at the third level (DV Info Net Announcements), but not the one in between (The DV Info Network).

Anyone else notice this?

Jenn Kramer December 4th, 2008 01:09 AM

Thanks for the bug report, this should be fixed.

Adam Gold December 4th, 2008 02:53 PM

It is indeed. Thanks.

Chris Soucy December 7th, 2008 12:55 AM

"Display Last Post" not doing it........

Hi Jenn,

Another foible(s) has come to light.

Occasionally, only occasionally mind, if I click on a "last post" over on the RHS, it displays the thread sure enough, but instead of (infuriatingly) doing a flick down to the last one quite some seconds after displaying the thread, it just stops dead, quite some posts from the last one.

Just now it got even weirder.

I clicked on "last post", it diplayed the thread, quite some way up from the last post, and, as I had manually scrolled down to the last post, it flicked back up to where it had originally pointed me to.

The reason this is so noticeable is that, given the delay involved, I usually scroll back up the thread to catch up on previous posts, and the damn "last post" thing kicks in and boots me straight back to the bottom, mid read.

This one did the reverse.

Very strange.

CS

PS: Don't suppose there's any movement with the "regional flags" thing any time soon?

Chris Soucy December 7th, 2008 02:35 PM

Hmm, yet another..............

Just clicked on this "last post":

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/avchd-for...tml#post974302

and it took me to the top of page 4 instead of the bottom of page 5. Scratch head, scroll to the bottom of page 4, see there's a page 5.

Backed out, dived back in, voila, the bottom of page 5.

Weird.

CS

Hmm, now occasionally it's just dropping me into the middle of the last page of posts - could be the last post I read, but it ain't the last post.

I can't even say it's that, the thread I dropped in on I don't think I'd ever read.

Serena Steuart December 8th, 2008 11:33 PM

Gallery problem

When I try to access the gallery I get "warning: invalid etc" . Have seen this for last week or so. Anything obvious? Vista?

The message is:
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /export/sites/dvinfo.net/docs/gallery/gallery_global.php on line 352

the last being repeated and repeated and .........

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 07:53 AM

*sigh* Yeah, it's definitely broken -- I'll probably remove the link. Right now the best way to share pictures here is to include them in a post as attachments (manage attachments below the text area input field when making a post), or if that option isn't present, then add pictures to your profile (Controls > Pictures & Albums > Add Album > Add Pictures), and post a link to them, such as this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/c...t-members.html

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/c...yd-shiner.html

As far as the old Galeery is concerned, my primary goal is to preserve all of the images and associated metadata and export everything to a new, improved gallery solution -- yet another important item on a seemingly endless list of things to do around here.

Serena Steuart December 9th, 2008 05:55 PM

OK. One of those things....

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2008 06:24 PM

One of *many* things.

We're pedaling as fast as we can.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 01:01 PM

Is this another new problem?

When attempting a search, I've started getting the error message:

"You answered the NoSpam! question incorrectly. Please reevaluate your answer or, if you found yourself unable to answer it, you can refresh for another question if the administrator has enabled multiple questions. If you find yourself repeatedly unable to answer the NoSpam! questions, please contact the forum administration".

Jenn Kramer December 10th, 2008 01:34 PM

Colin, where are you searching from, the drop-down search menu?

Edward Phillips December 10th, 2008 01:58 PM

I get the same message from using the drop down search menu. If I'm signed in it works however.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn Kramer (Post 975844)
Colin, where are you searching from, the drop-down search menu?

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Phillips (Post 975860)
I get the same message from using the drop down search menu. If I'm signed in it works however.

That's what seems to be happening now.

I used to be able to search from the drop down menu without logging in. It's not that much of an inconvenience, but the error message doesn't seem appropriate.

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2008 04:04 PM

Remember, there are two ways to search on DV Info Net -- through the forum software itself (the "search" link at the top of any page), and the Google box at the bottom of any page. You can search down to two-letter strings, there's no forced timeout between searches; we try to make it easy around here.

Colin McDonald December 10th, 2008 04:47 PM

And indeed you do Chris! I only mentioned it because the lazy way used to work for me.
Thanks for the reminder of the merits of the Google box - I still forget about that sometimes.