OT: does your IE distinguish between read/unread threads? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old November 30th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Inner Circle

OT: does your IE distinguish between read/unread threads?

It used to be a very useful feature of this board, but doesn't seem to work any longer...

Or is it just my IE?
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Piotr, it must be your IE.
Here I can see read/unread messages correctly on Safari (Mac) and simultanuously in IE (Win, same machine thanks to Virtual Machine/Parallels).

Best P.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Piotr,
Exactly the same thing has happened to me (Safair/Mac), but I just assumed it was because I'm travelling, and not on my normal network. Maybe not though? I'll know when I get home on Wednesday.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
Piotr, it must be your IE.
Here I can see read/unread messages correctly on Safari (Mac) and simultanuously in IE (Win, same machine thanks to Virtual Machine/Parallels).

Best P.
Something must be going on - not only do visited threads still display in bold fonts, but I never see new posts when inside a thread, until I refresh the page...

Of course, I tried my IE setting, and the reload setting is at "Auto" (as before); I tried the "Refresh pages each time" option but it doesn't change anything. And, it only behaves that way with DVINFO board.

Chris, could you chime in, please?
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
Major Player

I had this yesterday, but everything seems to be back to normal now.

George/

P.S. I did do a "Mark Forums Read" from the Quick Links menu, but that had no immediate effect yesterday (threads were still showing up in bold).
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Major Player

It's off again here... Only posts that I have visited are regular type (not-bold). I use the "Today's Posts" from the quick menu to quickly see all recent posts.

Under normal conditions those below the "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit or since forums have been marked read" line are in regular type.

However these are now bold also, except those threads I have visited recently.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Yes I get these issues too and some of the ones Chris Soucy posted about.

Chris (Hurd) did post on Friday that they were working on resolving all the recent board issues like this but that it could take a bit of time - whilst they digest all that Thanksgiving holiday turkey no doubt! I'm sure it'll all be resolved in a few days. My pet theory is that it's the 1000 plus SXS alternatives thread in the XDCAM EX1/3 section that's screwed it all up! (joke!)
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

The solution was posted to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/970561-post4.html

Sorry about the trouble, but it is a one-click fix.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Hmm. Not so much.

I need to manually refresh to get accurate 'new posts'. Same in a thread--need to refresh to see the new posts in a thread I've already viewed.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Wrangler

Hey guys, I've flipped a few switches that should expire things out of the IE cache faster. Post here if it has the desired effect or if you're still having trouble.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #11
Major Player

More weirdness:

After I read a thread, it no longer appears in the 'new posts' list--I read this, 'new posts', not there--had to go to the individual forum to post this response. Refreshing does not seem to help.

Also, can the 'new posts' become old posts time be increased? Sometimes I'll follow an external link and by the time I'm finished, I have 'no' new posts. I see that the forum is keeping track of old posts that haven't been read--is that supposed to achieve the same thing?
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Seems there is a cache feature activated on the server that is not serving the latest version of a page. A refresh is needed to see the new posts.
I changed nothing for month in my PC and this problem occurs only since few days and on several PC, so it is definitely server side.
is it because the "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts." feature ? I cannot remember having seen that before on DVinfo (these Vbulletin looks all the same)
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Wrangler

Once you hit a thread, unless someone posts something else in that thread the thread will be marked as read for you. If you don't read a thread for 10 days after the last post, it'll be marked as read.

The server isn't caching any pages, but you may still have some cached pages on your local machine from before I updated the expiration time. (Or, if you have some kind of web proxy infront of you it may be caching them.) A reload on those pages should clear that, though.
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Oh no it's not............

The "Quick Links" - "Mark Forums as Read" does clear the home page of "new post" flags, and seems to have cleared most of the threads in most of the Forums.

What it has not cleared (on my system anyway) is a shed load of threads in the XH forum, a decent batch in the XL H forum and one solitary thread in "The Totem Pole".

Many of the sub forums in the "Support your local Camera" indicate new posts but have no bolded threads internally.

I'm still rummageing so there could well be more.

Curiouser and curioser.

CS

PS: When I wrote this, the last post visible in this thread was CH's back @#8. Having posted, it's down in #14 (where were all the other posts hiding?).

Just to add to the list of funnies, this thread isn't even listed in the "DVinfo Net Announcements" listing.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 30th, 2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: + (Make a phrase using the words marbles and losing)
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:05 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Since it seems i am not the only one to get the problem around the world, it indicates that is definitely a server side problem.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements