DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   big cam talk forum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/17817-big-cam-talk-forum.html)

Shawn Mielke December 2nd, 2003 02:36 AM

big cam talk forum?

Does anyone know of a dv website with an active DVCCAM/DVCPRO forum, where cams like the dsr 390 and bigger are the normal talk? I'm not exactly in the market, but I often enjoy discussions revolving around them. Thanks!

Shawn

Jeff Donald December 2nd, 2003 05:52 AM

This has been discussed at higher levels and DV Info may be adding one in the next several months.

The Cow used to have a higher end forum but after several system and software problems I quiet visiting there. DV.com might have one in their family of sites.

Mike Rehmus December 2nd, 2003 11:55 AM

Pro cameras and pro production issues really deserve a separate section. It would be nice to read and participate in such a group of forums.

Rob Wilson December 2nd, 2003 12:05 PM

Jeff,

I'd like to vote in favor of such a forum.

Thanks

Ken Tanaka December 2nd, 2003 02:29 PM

As Jeff alluded, we've talked about such a forum for well over a year.

But don't let such management decisions stop you. Vote with posts. If you want a "One Low Shoulder" forum just start talking about pro cameras in "Open DV". That's the way to cast votes, since we need a significant population of such threads in order to seed a new forum.

Shawn Mielke December 2nd, 2003 03:49 PM

Believe me, I'd love to carry on and on about my DSR 390, or my DSR 570, and especially my new SDX900 ;-) . I'm still relatively new to all of this....and poor. Gonna have to give me a few years. I'd hate to be one of those folks that talks a bunch about something of which he knows nothing. But if the rest of you pros, vets, and wealthy eccentrics would like to spontaneously provide such a forum here, I'm all eyes, mouse, and fingertips!

Much love,

Shawn

Michel Brewer December 2nd, 2003 09:11 PM

another vote for

Chris:

Another vote chiming in it would be nice to see that if it would work for the community, since I'm waiting on the next round from canon to see whether I jump up and get a jvc dv500/5000 or a sony 370 next year. It would be nice to check those posts and learn from their experiences before I buy if theres enough people interested.

M

Chris Hurd December 3rd, 2003 10:04 AM

I'm always interested in running a "big iron" forum, but as Ken has stated, the way we do things here is we gather a bunch of existing threads and dump them into one new area. I don't like starting empty forums -- there's gotta be stuff to drop in right away. Votes aren't enough -- we need existing threads -- so just start talking about 'em, and when we get enough of them, bang, there'll be a new forum.

G. Lee Gordon April 16th, 2004 12:48 PM

SDX900

Shawn,

I see you have the sdx900. I am interested in indie films, music video's, etc. would you reccomend the 900. If not, what camera would you recommend. I want professional / broadcast quality.

Ken Tanaka April 16th, 2004 02:46 PM

Actually, I think Shawn meant that he'd love to talk about the SDX900...if he had one.

I have had a little time with one, guided by Panasonic's Jan Crittenden, and can say that it's one very impressive camera even when measured against its HD brother.

But, honestly, the little DVX100A actually delivers perhaps 65-70% of the value for, what, 12% of the price. Yes, the SDX900 is lustworthy. But looking at the two side-by-side (as I did) was a real eye-opener regarding the DVX.

Shawn Mielke April 16th, 2004 04:35 PM

Hee! Nail on the head, Ken. Sorry, G., can't help you. I've only just made the official vault into the prosumer arena with my new PD170, having just toddled through the first 10 months of my DV life with D8, then a PDX10 (then two PDX10s). I must say, I am looking forward to those 300 other lines of res., but, well, the most interesting automobile on the market, in my eyes, is the MINI Cooper, so, I might be staying small (and something less than "professional") for a good long while.

Good luck!

:-)

Alfred Okocha April 16th, 2004 05:25 PM

"if you build it, they will come."

Or something like that.. There's so many forums here that I get lost sometimes but I'd surley hang out in the bigger cam section if there was one!

Chris Hurd April 16th, 2004 10:16 PM

Owners of heavy iron, please chime in if you'd like your own playground here. Please list your camera model(s) as well. Trying to get a feel for how many there are of you. Thanks!

Alfred Okocha April 17th, 2004 08:56 AM

Where do we chime in? Here? DSR 370..

Mike Rehmus April 17th, 2004 08:53 PM

Mike Rehmus
DSR-300 (mine)

DV-550 (school's)
KY-19 X2 (school's)
DSR-200 (school's)