DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Many thanks to all -- 1,000 posts in two months (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/291-many-thanks-all-1-000-posts-two-months.html)

Chris Hurd November 6th, 2001 07:08 AM

Many thanks to all -- 1,000 posts in two months

Howdy from Texas,

Today (November 6th 2001) marks the two-month point since these message boards went public... altogether we've had 1,000 posts since then, from 270 members.

That works out to more than 15 posts per day on average. While this is nothing compared to some other forums I'm on (over at Canopus, they have more than 5,000 members and upwards of 55,000 posts), but hey, it's a start! A good start.

Many thanks and much respect to everyone who's joined and participated since Sept. 5th when this thing finally got started for real.

For anyone who's interested, here's how your user titles break down. These appear on the boards when you post, just below your user name.

less than 5 posts: Tourist
less than 20 posts: New Boot
less than 50 posts: Regular Crew
less than 90 posts: Major Player
more than 90 posts: Trustee

has an article on the XL1 Watchdog or elsewhere on DVinfoNet: Contributor

chips in resources to insure success: Sponsor

happens to be Jeff Kramer, the community's server wizard: Warden (hope it's not too warm in the engine room, Jeff)

Thanks again everybody! Looking forward to the next 60 days,

Rob Lohman November 6th, 2001 11:01 AM

This is very good news chris!

Let me thank you in return for the support,
information and services you provide here!
They are much appreciated, even if I have
been here a short time... I hope to even
get more active when I finally get my own
camera!

Keep up the good work!

Ed Baatz November 8th, 2001 03:35 PM

Having just gotten my Canon GL1 and a few accessories I am looking forward to learning what this thing is capable of doing in my clumsy, untrained hands... and it looks like I can certainly get the real scoop on things by lurking on some of you pros posts here.

I hope I can avoid asking the REALLY dumb questions.

Thanks for the forum!

Ed

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2001 07:04 PM

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked! So post away.

;-)

Mike Butler January 9th, 2002 06:37 PM

So I'll go ahead and ask (the only dumb question is the unasked) Chris does your signature imply that you are burning CD's of the band Midnight oil?
:-)

I just want to add that I have never seen a camera generate so much attention, interest and enthusiasm as the XL1...I have rarely seen any mass-produced piece of machinery attract such a rabid following. OK, Corvettes and Harleys. But I'll bet there aren't too many people whose whole careers have been changed by a car or a bike.

cheers
mike

Chris Hurd January 14th, 2002 07:11 PM

Burning Midnight Oil, meaning playing their music all the time. Got store-bought CD's for the house and the cars. Haven't burned many CD's yet, but thinking about some compilations. Thanks for asking!

Now your challenge is to figure out the Black Gang Coffee reference... have fun,

;-)

Mike Butler January 15th, 2002 11:44 AM

grindin' beans in the grinder, my life's a grinder. freon blast got me blinded - damn, my nose still could find the black gang coffee - cookin' on the motor, black gang coffee - it'll spin your rotor! perc - perc - perc - percolator: this boat's a grater. it's miles not years sure made her - hell, I know I'll never trade her. watch us whirl! put some cranks on the winder, our life's a winder - wrapped around the igniter, never find a tighter binder. it's a whirl world! what makes watt twirl?

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2002 11:12 AM

Mike Butler, you are my new best friend.

Much respect,

;-)

Mike Butler January 17th, 2002 03:47 PM

COOL!

Interesting how, like myself, Watt is a "Son of a Sailor"...I remember reading my dad's "Blue Jacket Manual" when I was a boy, so I actually knew just what a barkentine was before Buffett wrote "The Captain and the Kid"...weird, huh?

Amazing how much nautical jargon Watt packs into his songs, which a longtime powerboater like me understands. I have spent many hours "contemplating the engine room" and have had to untangle lobster pot lines that were "wrapped around the screw" and so forth. I have to take time listen to this guy...mostly I just hang with the commercial stuff (Aerosmith, LL Cool J, Dixie Chicks etc.) or some Coltrane or Miles...once in a while something off the wall like John Prine or Kinky Friedman.

Chris Hurd January 17th, 2002 06:04 PM

I've always liked Watt, and Minutemen... "Engine Room" is a truly amazing piece of work considering how the whole thing is Watt's life in an opera, wrapped up in a compact seafaring analogy. The guy's whole lifestory is in that album; his dad, Minutemen, D. Boon etc. I had the highly satisfying privilege of seeing "Engine Room" performed live in Austin, and I shot Watt's most recent performance there last October (and will get him again this Spring). Watt is the most likeable guy you could meet, always friendly with a kind word to say about everybody and everything. He got me to read Richard McKenna's "Sand Pebbles," his inspiration for "Engine Room," and of course that book just totally blew me away, so much better than the movie which itself has always been one of my favorites. Thanks,

Mike Butler March 22nd, 2002 08:07 PM

OK Chris, has the title system just been changed? I mean, I am not worried about being a "major player" --I know you still "trust" me....<grin>

Just confused...which means this is a normal day.

cheers

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2002 08:27 PM

It has... but now you have a custom title hopefully befitting of your Watt-fueled nautical travels.

Mike Butler March 23rd, 2002 02:15 PM

Aye aye, Cap'n!

Proud to serve as MM aboard your vessel. sir!
Hope to live up to the mark of the three-bladed screw between the chevrons, Skipper.