Photographer Galen Rowell dies in plane crash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old August 12th, 2002, 06:57 PM   #1
Warden

Photographer Galen Rowell dies in plane crash

Galen and Barbara Rowell died yesterday in a plane crash in Bishop, CA He and his wife were returning from teaching a photography seminar in Alaska. If you have never visited his site, now might be a great time http://www.mountainlight.com/ In 1984 he received the Ansel Adams Award for his wilderness photography. His first National Geographic article was published 30 years ago. He was a great photographer, rock climber and advocate for the wilderness. They will be missed.

Take a moment from your day and think of them and next time you're out shooting, take a frame for them.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jeff,
This is extremely sad news. Before I started my business career in earnest I used to be consumed by still photography, especially wildlife and scenic work. Mr. Rowell's work captivated my imagination endlessly. The hours of planning and preparation that he devoted to his work, like Adams, boggled my mind. But the results...oh the results!

Fortunately for us, Galen has left behind an enormous legacy of visual work for many generations to appreciate and study. We should all be so fortunate to leave such a lasting trail in the sky behind us.

Thank you for the notice.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #3
Major Player

These were two lives well spent, but ended sooner than we would have liked. Many people might not recognize the names, but would certainly have seen and appreciated their work, as it appeared in so many places. They were an inspiration to not just be photographic observers, but to dive into the subjects and be participants, as well.

Here is a link to the news section of their website, that tells the story of their accident and gives good biographies of them:

http://www.mountainlight.com/new.html

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2002, 01:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Oh, wow.

This is simply depressing. I've met Galen on occasion since he frequented a climbing rock I used to boulder on.

A said day for climbers and photographers everywhere.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements