Give me your questions for Canon USA - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old December 4th, 2001, 06:58 PM   #16
Regular Crew

rant restated

I should be more specific- The XL1's auto and manual lens are less than $100 apart in list price. Should we not expect to be able to get a manual or auto config for a similar cost difference. Of course resellers will get around to it-- eventually.
I won't detail the JVC/Panasonic packages available as anyone can research this on their own. No desire to start a debate here, only pointing out what has been said before I'm sure.
Just seems odd that Canon doesn't concern itself with what the competition is developing- the prosumer and pro market distinction is no longer all that defined.

This is a friendly, positive forum and Chris is a gracious host and straight shooter-I appreciate the oppportunity to participate.
Henry Czuprinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2001, 12:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Okay...

Your correct Morius, and I wasn't arguing the point that Canon should dive in a bit further to the prosumer market, but from a busines standpoint (marketing efforts and sales) I think it will be a slow progression, if ever.

I do disagree that the distinction between consumer and pro is less defined. We have added a middle section, prosumer, that is more affordable like consumer, but does not offer the quality and features of the highend gear, and maybe that is what you are saying. To me there is a very distinct line between prosumer and pro. I have yet to see my XL-1S shoot like my partners Sony 500.

I did watch a Spike Lee movie last week. The name escapes me, but I heard it was shot on prosumer DV cameras. I would say that is impressive.

Nathan, I can tell you after MUCH testing you are correct. Under ideal conditions the XL-1 is only a bit better than the GL-1. But having picture control, i.e. color saturation, setup, etc., and the better low light performance definately makes the XL-1s the better choice in a great variety of "less-than-ideal" conditions, and worth the investment if you have the cash. And that goes for the XL-1 compared the XL-1S, which I also tested extensively.

The motor noise - well, my camera is at Canon right now. I have a feeling I will be going up the chain of management for response. As I have said, can't except that you have to upgrade to get rid of something that shouldn't even be there. I will be buying the mini mount and isolator...with teeth clinched.

I must say, it still amazes me what little investment a good systems takes these days. My first setup was a pair of JVC KY-27C's, PVV BetSP backs, Media100 XS, UVW1800 and 1600 decks, yadda, yadda, yadda. We spent over $65000.00. After opening my own company, I have spent only $15000.00 to get started and produce a comparable product. I think the biggest advantage is being able to work in a market were the lower equipment and production/post production costs make it possible to succeed, and where having the more expensive setup you would go belly up quick.

Just my observations and meant to be friendly discussion. Apologies if it came off as anything else. Anyway, sounds like this discussion should move to the general dv area.

Cheers all,

Last edited by Michael Rosenberger; December 9th, 2001 at 02:57 PM.
Michael Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2001, 02:14 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Thank you, Michael -- I really value your input. Same goes for Giff, but he knew that already.

Re: motor noise on the XL1/XL1S -- the LightWave Systems accessories are *absolutely essential* and I would not consider running a camera without them.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements