DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   To the admin: could we get pictures turned on in the BB code? [img] [/img] (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/36501-admin-could-we-get-pictures-turned-bb-code-img-img.html)

John Gaspain December 16th, 2004 09:24 PM

To the admin: could we get pictures turned on in the BB code? [img] [/img]

It would speed up the productivity for members in several of the boards. Right now there is alot of miss-communication going on- where a simple screen grab of the event could be posted. It would be great to be able to post a video capture so we could discuss the settings used and the like.

Especially in the R&D areas of the board, right now we have people building actual HD cameras! mini35 adapters and so on. Enabling pictures in the code would REALLY clear up alot of issues and re-work, a picture tells a thousand words.

Please consider this. Also it wouldnt take any extra bandwidth from dvinfo.net because all the pictures would be hosted from private sites.

If its not clear what im talking about, its the [img] [/img] tags, also BOLD tags and text color tags. All this can be done in vBulletin and wont require HTML to be turned on.

the code would look like this:

[img]http://www.aequantum.com/carpic0234.jpg[ /img]

John

James Emory December 16th, 2004 09:37 PM

You can already make hotlinks by using [url ]www.whatever.com[/url] (without the space). I would like to use color text at times. I know that Bold text is but don't think that colored text is available with this board's code.

John Gaspain December 16th, 2004 09:39 PM

hotlinks are good for linking to websites, not for viewing pictures off the cuff.

James Emory December 16th, 2004 09:40 PM

What's the difference? They both display the image(s).

John Gaspain December 16th, 2004 09:46 PM

the difference is, is that some people wont click the link to view the picture then they will continue to be ignorrant about the topic and ask questions that clutter up the posts.

If the picture was there on the screen it would promote a environment where everyone is on the same page; moving forward.

You cant argue that it would be a bad thing.

James Emory December 16th, 2004 09:49 PM

Oh, okay. You mean posting an image directly in the post body. That would definitely be faster but are users that lazy? I saw a post about this discussion much earlier on this board. I think the point that was made was that there would eventually be longer page loads for dial up users and alot of blanks because of invalid links (which happen with hotlinks too) or unmaintained hosting accounts for whatever reasons. I don't mind either way but I don't think it will happen on this board according to this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18158

John Gaspain December 16th, 2004 09:57 PM

No offense to anyone but I think that reason is laughable, the majority of people on the web now are on broadband these days, and 56k still loads pictures...just dont make them too big.

Hell EVERY other board ive been on has images enabled, I think the problem is, is that this board hasnt been upgraded in a long time...a year or more at least since the last update.

Its time for an upgrade to year 2005!!

James Emory December 16th, 2004 10:00 PM

Thou shalt not shoot the messenger!

Rhett Allen December 16th, 2004 10:57 PM

Sorry but I don't like the idea of images being in the threads.
Even with my broadband connection I don't like having the images embedded. People will abuse the feature and you will have topics with tons of images, and none of them will be the same size, and some moron will quote a post, now you've got duplicates, and it screws up the formatting and takes a lot longer to load the page and is just an all around hassle scrolling for days to get past the photo's to the actual content.
If there is something you want to show, put a link to it. If people are too lazy to look at it, too bad, it just ONE click, if they can't manage that, they don't have any business running a camera or editing! The rest of the users shouldn't have to suffer. I only say this because I have been to boards where this was allowed and it can really be a drag. Not always, but it can easily get out of hand.

I'm just thrilled to learn how to finally post a link with the "[url]" tags. I only knew the html method.

p.s. I haven't seen an abundance of (or ANY) links to images anyway so I don't see it being such a big deal. It's not like users are beating down the door for this feature, hell, they aren't even using what they have! (the ability to post links to images)

Chris Hurd December 17th, 2004 12:37 AM

Yes this is an older version of vBulletin's forum software but it's also lean and mean and screamin' fast, free from the all the added bloat of vB's current revs. It's old but it works great; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We are working on a process for managing images. They will not be fed inline with the board's layout for the reasons that Rhett states above. But rest assured there will be some viable solution coming soon... just hang in there. Many thanks,

Fred Finn December 17th, 2004 12:38 AM

The images can be regulated by size ( file size not actual size). If you save a pic properly anyone should be able to download it. Even a dinosaur computer that was used to navigate the mayflower could. :)