Movie Production Forum - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old February 11th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Murph:

<< get lots of colleague encouragement regarding our specific films....also, archives of important running topics of each others films. The biggest benefit I see? Having a dedicated thread (within a new "Independent Film Production" forum) of your film. >>

But don't we have this already, in our DV For the Masses forum?

Just trying to nail down the particulars.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #17
Wrangler

How about:

"Fun With Flim"?
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #18
Trustee

Chris, - yes, but a central location for all things "film" make sense to me.

Also, I prefer the "Independent Film Production" type verbage over anything else. I only call them "movies" when I go to the theater and watch one. If I'm making one I call them "films" - they do that in Hollywood mostly too. If you listen....more often directors and producers use "film" when describing their work. Maybe it's me, but "movies" doesn't have the sexy sound of "film". Yes, I have to much time on my hands.

Another possible idea for a title - "Independent Filmmaking" OR what about having a main title and breaking down sections? "Dev", "Pre", "Pro" and "Post"?
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #19
Major Player

It's sort of like sorting by "form" instead of "function". We already have functional forums: tape, lighting, film look, tripods, etc. For form you might have: narrative, documentary, music video (hey!), wedding/events. The function forums are technical, but general. The form forums are specific and can deal with the form itself, such as editing and lighting styles specific to music videos, narrative shorts, trends, etc.
Joshua Provost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #20
Major Player

It certainly seems like a good idea BUT...

...consider...
It's like Master Hurd eluded, is this going to make things a LOT more complicated? I mean now your going to have questions asked in the Digital Cinema forum that are covered ad nauseam on the various other boards. Like "what is a good beginners lighting kit?" or "which setting should I use on my DVX for this or that effect?", "what's a good microphone, tripod, external recorder, camera, bla, bla, bla?" You know how it goes.

So what are the REAL differences between making a 30 minute documentary, 30 second commercial or a 2 hour film? These are the types of subjects that could be covered in a "Cinema" forum because technically, it's really not that much different than anything else video related. You still need cameras, supports, lights, sound and then editing and post and many of the same legal issues. So why is a new forum needed? Or WHAT do you want to talk about that is not already here? (keep in mind you can always search from the root level forum as well as specific forums)
I think it's a nice idea, I just wouldn't want it to dilute or confuse the information already available here. An XL2 is an XL2 is an XL2. It doesn't matter what you're using it for, it's the same camera and it still works the same.

I think the addition of a "Wedding" forum was justified because of the more specific nature of that business. It is not scripted and there is no take two. That in itself makes it a different enough beast to quantify a separate forum.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Rhett

<< I mean now your going to have questions asked in the Digital Cinema forum that are covered ad nauseam on the various other boards. >>

A good moderator will move those posts to the appropriate boards. And now I'm thinking, to avoid this exact issue and to help cut down on our growing cross-posting problem, we should probably have a detailed forum description at the top of each board's index page. Although it would have to be short and sweet, to keep things above the fold.

Example:

"This forum is for yada yada yada, and to discuss yada this and yada that. This forum is NOT for audio production (link), lighting (link), or how to edit with Vegas (link)"

...or something like that.

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #22
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd :... we should probably have a detailed forum description at the top of each board's index page. Although it would have to be short and sweet, to keep things above the fold.

Example:

"This forum is for yada yada yada, and to discuss yada this and yada that. This forum is NOT for audio production (link), lighting (link), or how to edit with Vegas (link)"

...or something like that. -->>>

That would be very helpful.

I mean, I've seen questions posted like (a recent one) "problem with XL2 and FCP". It was posted in the XL2 forum. Does it belong in the "XL2" forum or the "Editing for the Mac" forum? Both would be good places, but now if it were for a "Digital Cinema" production, it could end up in there and thus be even further from the answer. That's what I would be concerned with. Poor Kevin, just waiting around for an answer, blissfully unaware there is a better place, because he's asking about his "cinema" project.
That's kind of an extreme but you get the jest. There are a bunch of topics to discuss with "Digital Cinema" but I wouldn't really think "hardware" would really be one of them, except... and here's the kicker... film transfers! Do you talk about camera specific (XL,PD,DVX etc.) film transfer of frame rate/field rate specific film transfers(ie. 60i, 50i, 24p, 24pA, 25p, 30p)? Then there's HDV for film transfers AND the new HDV boards! Oh, it just keeps getting more complicated. Whew! Glad I don't have to make those decisions! Hat's off to the KennelMaster!
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Okay folks, you asked for it, you've got it...

The new forum is up! "Techiques of Independent Production" is what we're calling it. Put it to good use,

Old April 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #24
Tourist

+1

Definetly has a nice ring to it.
Joshua Branning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #25
Major Player

Well, I'm a little late to this discussion ;) , but I just wanted to mention something that hasn't been brought up already.

When I read through the board, there are a few forums I skip because they don't really concern what I do. As the forums get more and more specific, there will likely be less forums that I'm reading consistently.

A lot of my reading here is in topics that I just happen upon in the forums I stick to, but they are often topics that I'm not necessarily seeking out. So as we divide and divide the forum up, I think there are going to be less discussions that we all just "happen upon."

Maybe that's a good thing and the discussions will be shorter and more to the point, or maybe it'll be bad and discussions will end up involving fewer members.

Hmmm...Does anybody get that? I don't feel like I'm properly communicating what I mean. :(
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

I agree, it will be harder to just stumble upon things. Right now you can collapse entire categories to make the forum index page much shorter, thereby missing out on whole sections if that's what you choose to do. I'm looking into ways that a person can opt into if they'd like to find things that might interest them... but more about that later,

Old April 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #27
Major Player

An easy way to view a sprinkling of all topics is to click on the "New Posts" link at the top of the page. This will give you new posts from ALL sections, so you have the opportunity to "happen upon" something.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #28

Well the unfortunate truth is I do both Weddings and movies . . . the former of which has literally no interest to me accept money, and I consider it something of an assembly line, artless day job. There's one reason I come to this site/ digital filmmaking. Movies, man, movies, and how to create a good one much less expenssively than my last endevor, which was shot on 16mm and was very difficult and laborious. If you guys make a "indie filmmaking" section/forum, I . . . am . . . there.
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #29
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Maher
Well the unfortunate truth is I do both Weddings and movies . . . the former of which has literally no interest to me accept money, and I consider it something of an assembly line, artless day job. There's one reason I come to this site/ digital filmmaking. Movies, man, movies, and how to create a good one much less expenssively than my last endevor, which was shot on 16mm and was very difficult and laborious. If you guys make a "indie filmmaking" section/forum, I . . . am . . . there.
Um, we did.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

And the link is http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements