DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Problem with "New Posts" with the new look. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/44529-problem-new-posts-new-look.html)

Mike Hanlon May 13th, 2005 05:05 PM

Problem with "New Posts" with the new look.

Wen I select "New Posts" each day, I get a few to many pages of posts to peruse. Since I don't usually have time to look at all of them at one sitting it may be a couple of hours before I can get back to my browser. When I do get back, the posts are gone, that is, when I click on the next page of posts I get an error:

vBulletin Message
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

This didn't happen before the "new look" of dvinfo came along. In fact, I used to be able to save a "get new posts" search as a bookmark, quit my browser, and come back later to find the search still valid.

Anyone else having this experience? Am I doing something wrong?

Rhett Allen May 13th, 2005 09:54 PM

I have the exact same problem and it really drives me crazy. Now I just have to skim quickly over them.

oops! I've already been gone too long, I'd better get back to them before they go away.

Chris Hurd May 13th, 2005 10:26 PM

Okay, that's probably just a settings tweak in the board's software. I'll root around in there and try to lengthen that time frame. Thanks for the heads up,

Chris Hurd May 14th, 2005 06:57 AM

Okay, our server warden Jeff has increased that time factor, I think up to two hours, so let me know if that isn't any better for you. Since we've upped that limit, the board now shows the number of "current members online" to be the total within the past two hours, which is why that count is looks so high now.

Rhett Allen May 14th, 2005 06:45 PM

Thanks Chris! I couldn't figure it out. At first I just thought my computer was going nuts but it got to be every time I came, I would lose out on 5 or 6 pages of new posts.

I appreciate the extension, it's kind of scary to see 800+ users online today though. I was like "what the f***?! Was it on the news or something?" hahaha!

Greg Boston May 18th, 2005 10:12 AM

Ditto the same problem here. Thanks Chris for looking into that.

-gb-

Chris Hurd May 18th, 2005 10:22 AM

Er, ah... this is a work in progress... as you can see, we've reverted back to the convential style for the number of current users. The new posts timeout issue continues to be a priority. Thanks,

Christopher C. Murphy May 19th, 2005 07:30 AM

Just a friendly mentioning of the "New Posts" issue...I came on this morning and got "New Posts". I read one and posted...came back and all the "New Posts" went away. Now I gotta go fishing for new posts!

Also, I saw on another forum a "Find Unanswered Posts" - that was very interesting! If you would consider adding that...some of us could find those random posts where people asked a question and didn't get any answer at all.

Thanks Chris!

Boyd Ostroff May 19th, 2005 08:01 AM

Chris, this is still being looked at. There was a problem with the earlier "fix". It didn't really have the same effect as the old "new posts" function. With that fix, if you searched for new posts, read them all, went away for two hours and did another search for new posts they included all the ones you had already seen. This didn't happen with the old software. And of course that fix was messing up the user count as well.

The issue seems to be related to differences in how searchid's are cached and how quickly they expire in vB2 vs vB3. Let's give Chris and Jeff awhile to look into the issue, they haven't forgotten it.

Chris Hurd May 19th, 2005 08:07 AM

By the way Murph, we're definitely gonna have a "Find Unanswered Posts" option. I've wanted to do that for awhile, and we'll be sure to implement that function.