Anyone attending NAB? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Dress code

There is no dress code for the Supermeet or as far as I can tell any other event at NAB. One thing to wear for sure is your most comfortable pair of shoes and for long days, some people bring a change of socks. I recommend caring a bottle of water so you stay hydrated. One other essential that I bring that I consider part of my "dress" is a very light weight bag I can sling over my shoulder to carry stuff that I can't resist taking with me.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #62
Obstreperous Rex

Back in the day, NAB used to be a suit-and-tie thing, but comfortable shoes have always been a must-have. When I first started going to NAB, it wasn't unusual to see executives wearing suits with tennis shoes. These days it's a bit more relaxed. Business casual is the rule of the day now. Typically I'll go with khakis or chinos and a long sleeve button-down shirt, and if I have an important meeting I might wear a tie. It's more casual now than ever before, but you'll still some some old-school types sporting the three-piece suit and tie. No matter what you wear, comfortable shoes are the single most important item.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #63
Wrangler

I've posted 132 photos from the show floor to Facebook today for those who weren't able to make it to Vegas:

DVinfo's Photos - NAB 2010 | Facebook
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #64
Major Player

DVINFO at the Peppermill/NAB

It was great to see everyone on Monday night and thanks to Chris for arranging the event....and slipping a drink token in my pocket. As I'm sure for everyone there, it was nice to put a face next to the names of the posters I hadn't met yet.

For NAB itself, wow!, it was back to being crowded after last year.....LOTS of new things to see:

#1 The new Canon HF300/305 cameras looked great! The footage shot in Italy really brought out the amazing detail of the intricate architecture....they were showing it on 50" LCDs. Speaking of LCDs, the 4" on the camera was very impressive and I liked the built in waveform & vectorscope displays and how they are displayed. The feel and balance was very nice.....and while these cams were just prototypes, its obvious they are going to sell quite well. The 305 will probably sell for the same money as the EX but with a much better codec......oh, the one thing I heard from some Sony-philes was "its only 1/3" chips"....and I responded "Don't you think that 1/3" chips from 2010 might be better than 1/2" chips from 2007/2008?" other than a little bit better low light and a little bit better on the depth of field, the much better codec, lens, and overall sharpness trumps the EX and I expect that, as the EX has had the market for the last 2 years, these cameras will be the ones for the forseeable future.

I'll post more thoughts later....

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:22 AM   #65
Major Player

Just got back from my first NAB last night and must say it was really impressive--all kinds of new cams from Panasonic and Canon really spiced things up.

Panasonic's push into 3D will be the one to watch, I think. That is incredible technology they are briging to market, now. The new 3D cam based on the HMC40, I was told, is a real breakthrough product.

The Canons were also great to see. That Canon film they had featuring cuts from everything from the XHA1 to the XF300 and Canon 1D Mark IV, as well as 5D MkII and 7D was just incredible.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #66
Major Player

Another good show. I hate feeling like I don't remember what I saw after walking the floors all day, every day. Information overload. Right now my favorite item was from JK Audio (I think), they have a blue tooth adapter that plugs into an intercom box for easy and affordable wireless intercom. $249 and I think it will work well in my small control room at our sports arena. Newtek's 3Play instant replay was a really nice system too. Personally I got tired of all the 3D stuff.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Agree guys my first NAB and a very positive experience. I will make it a yearly event.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #68
Obstreperous Rex

This was my fifteenth straight NAB and for me it seems like the onset of information overload creeps in earlier and earlier every year. This time around, on Day 3 (Wednesday) I dropped by the Panasonic booth just to say hi to Tim Dashwood and arrived there in time to find him and Allan Silliphant holding court, conducting an impromptu seminar about 3D for a gathering crowd. It was quite a brain dump, and I walked away 45 minutes later, tugging my lower lip with my fingers wondering if I'd ever be able to add two and two together again. I had to go get coffee right away.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #69
Inner Circle

This was my third NAB. The last one was in 2006.

Having learned from previous NAB's, I made a priority list in advance of things I wanted to check out on the Exhibit floor. With what little time I had remaining I then let serendipity run its course to discover anything new.

Most of each day was filled with seminars in the Post-Production conference. Now that I know a lot more about the basics I didn't fill the notebook as I had in the past. But what I did learn this time around was just as valuable. Except it's less about technical and more about techniques.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #70
Inner Circle

It was fun and a total new experience for me as an exhibitor at the Comer booth this year. It's simply awesome to have fellow DVinfo members came by to say hi too.. But I don't get to spend much time visiting the rest of the show.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements