DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Tracking cookies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/475087-tracking-cookies.html)

Ervin Farkas March 18th, 2010 03:49 PM

Tracking cookies

1 Attachment(s)
What are the DVinfo tracking cookies doing?

My antivirus software is popping up with this message...

Thanks,

Jenn Kramer March 18th, 2010 06:29 PM

Without knowing what the cookie was it's hard to tell, but it may have been a cookie from one of our advertisers. Did it just start showing up today? If so, I have no idea.

Ervin Farkas March 18th, 2010 07:11 PM

You have all the info in the image - I only cut out my computer name.

Chris Hurd March 18th, 2010 09:24 PM

What makes you think it's one of ours, Ervin? I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Ervin Farkas March 19th, 2010 05:27 AM

I overlooked Jenn's timing question. I don't know if this is something new or not, I just installed AVG a few days ago.

Chris, I'm not sure I understand - I got it while on this site, with no other site open in the browser. The warning does not pop up while on my own site for example... I do get much stronger warnings while on some sites, or so I think... this one seems to be labelled 'low' risk.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about you guys tracking my computer, just trying to understand what's going on.

Thank you,

Edward Troxel March 19th, 2010 06:41 AM

Ervin, every time I get a tracking cooking found while doing a scan, I open up the preferences in my browser and add the listed domain to my "Blocked" list. In your case, it looks like you need to add advertising.com (which *IS* in my blocked list).

Andrew Smith March 19th, 2010 06:43 AM

Part of what's going on is that security software vendors derive their subscription renewals from the fear of what might be going on. They'll make use of any opportunity to throw up an alert so that you think their software service is worth every penny.

On a practical level, you might as well ignore it. If you're the nervous kind (not a bad thing), delete your cookies once a month.

Andrew

PS. Upgrade to Firefox.

Ervin Farkas March 19th, 2010 08:47 AM

Thanks, let's not get into any browser wars here - I'm happy both with my browser and my AV soft, which, by the way, is free, so I don't see why they would lie to me.

Plus I don't feel threatened by the practices of this website, all I'm trying to do is understand what's going on.

Dave Blackhurst March 19th, 2010 11:33 AM

MANY, if not all of the so called "security" software packages flag cookies - supposedly they represent some potential threat, though I doubt it's any "real" danger... but as already stated, it makes them appear thorough.

If you're set to log in to most any site (DVi included), it's probably because there's a cookie set on your computer that allows the site to recognize your computer when you come back... that's my guess.

Most advertising uses some form of cookie tracking too, and DVi does have a few site specific ads, and if it helps keep the site running (via revenue), it shouldn't be a worry. DVi only serves up content appropriate ads from what I've seen, so not a bother to me, and far better than some of the ads on some sites!

David Chilson March 21st, 2010 08:34 AM

"This web site has been reported as unsafe" pop-up

1 Attachment(s)
I have attached a screen shot that started popping up just today. I cleared my cookies and it still happened. The computer I log on with has not been changed.. I have been clicking "report that this site does not contain any threats" but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Shaun Roemich March 21st, 2010 11:10 PM

Yup, something is up...

1 Attachment(s)
A script or something. I don't even run anti-virus software and this just popped up while reviewing a DVi page.

Andrew Smith March 21st, 2010 11:13 PM

"I'm sorry, Dave."

HAL

Jeff Harper March 22nd, 2010 06:06 AM

I got the same thing Shaun. Must admit it was weird. It said the site has been reported as unsafe.

Chris Hurd March 22nd, 2010 07:24 AM

See Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for dvinfo.net

"What is the current listing status for dvinfo.net?
This site is not currently listed as suspicious."

Shaun Roemich March 22nd, 2010 10:53 AM

Understood Chris but remember, I'm not RUNNING any AntiVirus software at all. That screen popped up in my browser (Safari on Mac under Tiger) while viewing a page and had a click through.

If it tripped AV software to bring up that message I would have less concern.