DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Mobile and Live Truckin new forum? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/482865-mobile-live-truckin-new-forum.html)

Calvin Bellows August 3rd, 2010 10:05 PM

Mobile and Live Truckin new forum?

Hi everyone. I make half my living doing corporate video and the other half working on mobiles shooting sporting events. I have been looking for a place like DVinfo but one that dealt with live TV. I was wondering if there would be enough interest on this forum for Chris to make a Mobiles Thread that we could talk about our experiences, new gear, old trucks and the like. I know I would like a place to do that and I hope there are a few more of you out there that would like that as well. Thanks.

Zach Love August 4th, 2010 08:06 AM

I'd be for it & would probably spend some time there if it was added.

Chris Medico August 8th, 2010 07:18 AM

How about webcasting in the section too?

We use webcasting to cover amateur racing events. A great way to broadcast a live event when there isn't much budget.

I'm looking to get an older and very cheep camper to convert to a production rig for webcasting. This might be a good section to share the project with anyone else interested.

Nick Hiltgen August 9th, 2010 03:48 PM

Calvin I do exactly the same thing (half my income is from corporate and half from mobile sporting events) what kind of system do you set up? The one I use most often is the Evertz E-cas system on f900 bodies. It's a pretty sweet little setup, we do a mix of concerts and live events (Like ski shows, and I just wrapped the US open of Surf yesterday which was crazy but awesome and the entire event was streamed live online.

Calvin Bellows August 9th, 2010 11:53 PM

Nick, Next time you do a live event online send me an email I'd like to see it. What do you use to stream. Right now I mainly work for Dome Productions and CBC on their multi million dollar trucks. I am in the planning process to build my own "mobile" for the local minor sports and right now I am looking at the Tricaster or a Broadcast Pix system. I have a JVC HM 700 camera and I think I am going to go that route to keep costs down. My final output will be online and DVD's for the kids families.

Greg Bellotte August 18th, 2010 12:38 PM

Streaming...one word...OCTOSHAPE. I will dance with no other now...

Mark Utley September 5th, 2010 02:09 AM

I would definitely be interested.

Chris Ficek September 7th, 2010 01:27 PM

Count me in as well.

Sander Vreuls September 8th, 2010 05:36 PM

Would be nice.. wondering who else uses Grass Valley camera's and such :)

Tom Majeski September 10th, 2010 03:33 PM

Good idea, I'd be interested. I spent many years camping out in all the best venue parking lots in the country for the likes of ESPN, Fox Sports, ect. Ahh memories of picking up miles of frozen video cable @ 2AM.

Calvin Bellows September 11th, 2010 09:43 AM

I work a lot of hockey up in the great white north. I feel your pain with the frozen cables. The worst is when you are doing bobsled and everything is a home run of maxi and it is -30

Gabor Heeres September 11th, 2010 03:47 PM

In my country at some broadcast companies are using this system:

http://www.triple-it.nl/wp-content/u...rminal-v30.pdf

No idea about the costs but I don't think I wanna know as well.....

Sander Vreuls September 17th, 2010 02:57 PM

Been thinking.. got asked by a local health organisation to think about replacing their multicamera set.. such a subforum would be great for questions like that as well.

Calvin Bellows September 18th, 2010 12:15 PM

What do they have right now for a multi camera set and what are they looking at going to?

Sander Vreuls September 18th, 2010 01:29 PM

They currently have a 3 camera set of Sony PD170's. It sents composite + RCA audio L/R through a 25 meter long 26 pin multicore cable, which also contains intercom (Clearcom/ASL) and a tally light. Then it goes through a Panasonic AW-SW350 and is recorded composite onto a DVcam recorder. The RCA audio goes to a small audio mixer and into the recorder.

The composite means the system is not that high quality, however for it's purpose it's quite sufficient at the moment. It's currently broadcasted internally in the organisation (For mentally handicapped people) and they also partially shoot with the camera's. They have manfrotto LANC remotes on sachtler tripods, so we use them on automatic for them.
The internal system is 4:3 SD at the moment, so we can only input composite. They are looking at upgrading to a newer file based system so we will have more options.

They are looking at replacing one of the PD170's right now, since one got turned over to another organisation. I was looking into 3x XF105 on the long term, with 7 inch Lilliput HDMI monitors on top, sending HD-SDI through the multicore (if that works..) directly to a AW-HS50. That will output DVI multiviewer to a screen in front of you and send HD-SDI to a blackmagic converter to analogue (for projectors etc) and a AJA KI mini pro for recording.

Atleast that was what my plan was atm :) It can change depending on funds available and if they want anything else.