DV Info - Mobile site - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: DV Info - Mobile site

Thank you for your all your work on this Mr Hurd!
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Any progress on the mobile app?

Other forum moderators were able to get their forums setup within minutes of me raising the idea of Tapatalk support and I have been happily browsing and contributing to their forums every morning on my way to work ever since.
Brian Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

To repeat -- there are three reasons why we're not going to use Tapatalk:

1. Their viewing app costs money. Our viewing app will be a free download to everyone.

2. We don't want to be lost in a sea of other forum sites in their directory. We prefer to stand on our own.

3. Tapatalk is based overseas; I have tighter coordination and communication with our
developer here in the U.S. and right now I prefer to spend money on a U.S. business
(which is more expensive but worth it to me personally in the long run).

I realize that we have some folks who spend a lot of time on other forum sites.
That's their business, but that's not the audience I'm catering to. Instead, there
are some folks who call DVi their first home and who don't browse other forum
sites so much. That's my main audience and that's why we're going to have a
standalone app -- one that's free to everybody, whether they're one of our key
members or not.

It's been pretty busy around here from an administrative standpoint ever since NAB,
but things are finally easing off to a degree where I can start getting a few projects
done, including the mobile apps (Blackberry included). Our newsletter subscribers
will be the first to try 'em out (sign up on our home page, at Digital Video News, Reviews and Forums at DVInfo.net).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Any update on a mobile friendly version of the site, or at least the forums? It's laborious to zoom in and out to read and navigate through many threads in a session even on my fairly large 4.3" smartphone screen. An optional mobile friendly version would allow people who are commuting or have down time on a set or shoot or who are just simpy killing time with the phone in their hand to spend more time reading and contributing to the site.
Jim Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #21
Wrangler

Well Chris probably has something up his sleeve, but I'd be happy if the forum was running on vBulletin Mobile. I very rarely access the site using a normal computer. It's usually iPad or iPhone nowadays.
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #22
Major Player

I would love a mobile version of the site too.
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Please DON'T have a mobile version of DV Info for the iPhone. The iPhone has a fully fledged web browser, Safari, and I enjoy accessing full websites with it whenever I am out of town or away from a computer.
On my android phone, there is a setting called "Enable Mobile Version of Web Pages"
If I leave it unchecked, I always visit the full version of website.

I'd be surprised in iPhone doesn't have the same option, since according to Steve Jobs, Android is a rip-off of iPhone
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #24
New Boot

OK everyone, sorry to bring this old chestnut up again but having become an in depth user of an iPad in the field over the past 2 yrs i've found the unit to be as much a common tool to reach for as a screwdriver during maintenance on the cameras i care for. My 10cents is that to have access to this Forum through Tapatalk (provided it costs you guys nothing, and i'm sure it doesn't) would make for a much better experience at this end than having to trawl my way through using Safari to arrive here... I'm already enjoying other related Forums i use in the quick accessible way so it would be fantastic to participate with Dvinfo.net in the same way.... Can you guys please reconsider? Thanking you in hope :-)
Pete Bronlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I'd visit here more often if the tapatalk plugin (or any similar plugin) was available as I tend to browse via iPhone and looking at the forum via the iPhone browser is a pain.
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:36 AM   #26
Major Player

+1 for Tapatalk!

I mean, you can still develop your own app that will be free of charge and also be a lot cooler than Tapatalk :)
But why not enable Tapatalk along the way? It doesn't hurt, does it? A lot of people already have it for other forums and wouldn't need to buy it.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Another Tapatalk vote. I use Tapatalk on my own site (alpinezone) and it works great.
Nick Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #28
Trustee

Pete, why would you need to 'trawl' around Safari to find Dvinfo...? You simply add a Dvinfo.net forum Icon to your home screen. By simply tapping on the Dvinfo it opens immediately into the forum without needing to even enter Safari browser.

To add the icon to the home screen of your iPad or iPhone etc, simply log on to The DV Info Net Forum via your Safari browser. Now tap the small box-with-arrow at bottom of your screen. A list will then pop-up on your screen. Click on "Add to Home Screen". Type in any heading you want, then click "add".

You will now have the Dvinfo Forum Icon on your iPhone or iPad (alongside all you other apps icons).

To visit this forum at anytime, just tap the icon on your phone and it will open up directly to the Dvinfo.net forum, just like an app. Simple, fast, and no fuss.
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #29
Major Player

I just have DV Info , along with numerous other sites I regulary visit , in my Safari bookmarks bar .

It only takes max 5 seconds to access any of them and really is no problem .
Derek Heeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
My two cents:

Please DON'T have a mobile version of DV Info for the iPhone. The iPhone has a fully fledged web browser, Safari, and I enjoy accessing full websites with it whenever I am out of town or away from a computer. I absolutely loathe the fact that the Melbourne Age website changed their RealFooty pages (Australian Rules football news and results) to a compulsory "mobile version". Whereas I'd previously enjoyed the full web pages on Safari, I'm now forced to endure their cruddy, watered-down "mobile version". It's enforced on you - take it or leave it. So I've left it.

At least the Formula One site asks you at the beginning whether you would prefer the mobile version or the fully-fledged version. Something like that for DV Info would be okay (a choice). But not an enforced "dumbed-down" version.
Hi,
First a comment to all. I have an iPhone 4S and the ipad3. On the iPhone this site which I use a lot does not work very well on my iPhone. As an example: I press search then the keyboard pops up I tried to enter my search query and after the first letter it clashes closes then I hit search again I can enter a second letter crashes by the time I try searching for third time it finally let's me type more than one letter and finally do a search this has to be Corrected either by Mobile site or just fixing this one. I believe the iPad works about the same using this site. Very frustrating! If a mobile site is Created and I hope it will ask the user if they want to use the mobile site I do not want to use the mobile site on my iPad, on the iPhone it would probably be okay but I hate sites that automatically see my iPad has a mobile device and use a mobile site when I want to used the full site on my iPad.

To David, What version of the iPhone do you have and how did you get it to work especially in my above comment about the search function?
John Gerard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements