DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Some changes to this board... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/496-some-changes-board.html)

Chris Hurd December 11th, 2001 11:05 AM

Some changes to this board...

Howdy folks,

Thinking about doing some re-arranging around here, to better facilitate everybody and evrything. Let me know what you think: cheers and jeers equally welcome.

The three forums under "TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media" are suffering from lack of use, so I think I'll fold them all into one forum and maybe drop it under "The DV Network."

Likewise, "DV for the Masses" will be moved under "The DV Network."

"Camera Evolution & Development" to be retired, with its one thread moved intact to "General DV Discussion."

"Community Marketplace" section to remain unchanged.

"Spotlight on DV Camcorders" to retain the somewhat lightweight GL1 and VX2000 forums.

"The XL1 / XL1S Watchdog" to become its own primary forum, with subtopics to split up the amazingly numerous posts. I'm open to suggestions... I'm thinking of organizing subtopics as the Articles section on the Watchdog, as in Lens & Optics, Microphones & Audio, Camera Support, etc. etc. *Hopefully* this will make things a little easier to navigate.

We're starting to get repeating threads about stuff that's already been talked about but has been buried weeks ago behind newer posts. Let me know what you think.

Much respect,

Chris Hurd January 3rd, 2002 07:47 AM

Reconstruction begins -- "DV for the Masses" has been moved, now under "The DV Network." Also, default views for the entire forum used to be 30 days, now it's 365 days. This will be helpful in showing pretty much all threads from the time we first went online until now.

Wayde Gardner January 3rd, 2002 08:11 AM

DV Board Changes

Chris,

What you've provided is greatly appreciated. Adding to the general knowledge pool, is it feasable to add a "Coming Events' type forum that would let folks know about shows, training seminars, special demos, user groups, etc.

I'd like to see (as I haven't found one yet) a Final Cut Pro user group in Dallas and announcements of these types of events in the Texas area.

Again, thanks for the platform.
WG
Frisco, Tx

Chris Hurd January 3rd, 2002 08:28 AM

Good idea, and I've been thinking about this a bit, and it will probably go on the DVinfoNet website under "Network." For now, check the thread in this Announcements forum under "Hope to see you at these upcoming events" as a temporary solution.

Regarding FCP in Dallas, check out the DVCreatorsNet travelling workshop, listed on my site under "Resources." Hope this helps,

Chris Hurd February 20th, 2002 11:19 AM

As of Feb 20...

"The XL1 / XL1S Watchdog" has become its own primary forum, with subtopics to split up the amazingly numerous posts. Some subtopics are Lens & Optics and Microphones & Audio, with more to follow as neccessary. *Hopefully* this will make things a little easier to navigate.

The three forums under "TOTEM Poll: Totally Off Topic, Everything Media" are suffering from lack of use, so they've been folded into one forum.

Vic Owen February 20th, 2002 11:55 AM

Nice change, Chris. It flows so well that I had to think about it to remember what it looked like before the change!

Cheers

Dan C. February 20th, 2002 12:03 PM

Great changes, especially considering how much more posts that were appearing in the XL1/s forum compared to the VX2000/PD150 one.

Ed Smith February 20th, 2002 12:43 PM

Just thought I will add my comment:

Much more easier to search for something on a specific topic about the XL1, neat idea.

Ed

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2002 01:07 PM

How about a news "channel" where people can post DV
related news? This way you have an easy news archive
without it scattered all around the other forums

Just a thought...

Chris Hurd February 20th, 2002 01:10 PM

Rob - Not a bad idea at all, but I gotta get caught up with a bunch of other things first!

;-)

Peter Koller February 20th, 2002 02:54 PM

Hi, Chris

maybe a short "read first" paragraph on the index site would help encourage people (especially the newbies, like me) to use the search function before posting a question.

Because, for my part, I found the answer to one or two questions in older posts, but only after I posted them myself and wasted everybodys time because I didnīt use the search option.

A LOT of questions I did not even think about yet have already been answered in older posts.

And the splitting of the XL-1 forum is perfect, make the sub-forums like you said and as time passes youīll see if there is need for more of them or if some of them donīt work and need to be rearranged.

Chris, this is the best forum on DV I know I canīt thank you enough for keeping it up. It is a huge pool of knowledge that can save a lot of time and money for us folks.

Adrian Douglas February 21st, 2002 01:59 AM

Sweet mate :)

Chris Hurd March 9th, 2002 10:23 PM

FYI, the "show e-mail" problem has been fixed. You guys should be able to send e-mail to each other now, thanks to a healthy tweak from Jeff Kramer, our resident server surgeon.

Ken Tanaka March 9th, 2002 11:23 PM

That's great news, Chris. This will be a handy feature to have. Thank you Jeff.

Ed Smith March 15th, 2002 05:02 PM

Chris and Jeff,

The e-mail function only seems to work to the people who have joined before 10th March (when the problem was fixed), all people after this the button does not appear.

Hope you can sort this out.

All the best,

Ed Smith