DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Please help in the Hurricane relief effort if you can (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/50446-please-help-hurricane-relief-effort-if-you-can.html)

Dwight Flynn September 2nd, 2005 03:26 PM

Please help in the Hurricane relief effort if you can

To be honest I don't exactly know where to put this thread since it is not exactly on point with our usual media discussions, but I feel compelled to say something. I am asking anyone capable to giving time and/or resources to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort to do so (there are various charities to choose from such as the Red Cross, etc.) Obviously how you choose to help is up to you. Thanks in advance. That's all.

Keith Loh September 2nd, 2005 04:38 PM

And watch out for online scams. It is disgraceful but they popped up as soon as the opportunity presented itself. Give to reputable organizations such as the Red Cross.

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2005 10:30 PM

I think our Announcements forum is the best place for this, so here it is.

Obin Olson September 3rd, 2005 06:04 PM

any way to "give" for a video camera crew of 2, 2 dvx100A cameras and a grip package?

Chris Hurd September 3rd, 2005 06:23 PM

Sorry, Obin, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

Obin Olson September 4th, 2005 04:51 PM

How can our company "give" with what we do as a professional group.

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2005 07:53 PM

What those folks need most are *sustained* monetary donations over a long period of time to the American Red Cross and similar bonafide organizations. Additionally or as an alternative, clothing of all kinds would be a highly beneficial gift, through Good Will and other charities. I'm not sure how video services would work into the picture but no doubt somebody has a good idea about that.

Obin Olson September 4th, 2005 08:15 PM

what about a JohnBoat? i have one, but can't seem to find a list of "needs" on the net that would point out a "need" for a boat...maybe the coast guard etc have plenty of boats now....

Chris Hurd September 4th, 2005 08:19 PM

I'll bet if you cleaned out your closets, boxed up some clothes you don't wear anymore, and took them to Good Will, that would probably be an easier gesture to make and it will have a better long-term impact.

Wallace Frank January 3rd, 2007 08:05 PM

Charity and Hurricane Katrina

I was scrolling through these posts and this one caught my eye- It's been over a year and a half since the destruction in our area [Gulf coast (me personally in Waveland MS some 40miles east of NOLA)] Some suggested Red Cross, well what I experienced with the ARC was the need to return to the DC's with an empty truck, not finding the people who needed the aid- at that time it was bottled water and meals ready to eat. I ended up with more than my family could use because the volunteers dumped and ran. So rather than give to the ARC, go to a local faith based group ( ok, go to your neighborhood church) and support the members who will take the time to actually put in some sweat equity into rebuilding our area.
there is still great need for volunteers- so bring your video gear, capture the moment and think wow that felt great. Oh, thanks for the FEMA trailer!
cheers

Michael Gilbert January 4th, 2007 05:41 AM

I know clothing is a big issue for me and alot of fellow students right now. Especially with the season changes, Never realized how much clothing really cost until I had to buy everything new. Alot of people lost their gear, film, video, music, etc. There is a charity, not sure of the name, but they purchase New Orleans and katrina musicians new/used equipment to replace what was lost or help with the lost gear. Im not raising a family, just putting myself through school, so not really sure what the children/family/parental needs are. If you want to donate film gear, im sure you can contact the New Orleans Filmakers group or someone with the Nola film fests and gear will be put to good use to those who have lost it. I can get you those numbers if you would like, just drop me an email.

Mike Gilbert
onesockshort@gmail.com

Heath McKnight January 7th, 2007 01:55 PM

I also want to point out that Katrina also hit Mississippi pretty hard, too, and Wilma nailed us in Florida from Miami to the Treasure Coast and Naples to West Palm Beach, pretty hard. There are a lot of people that still need help in those areas, particularly Mississippi.

I donate often to the American Red Cross and now to the Salvation Army, since they earmark the money more.

heath