DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Cannot Edit My Posts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/51394-cannot-edit-my-posts.html)

Justin Kohli September 20th, 2005 01:38 AM

Cannot Edit My Posts

The posting rules state I have the ability to edit my posts, but there is no edit button on my posts I am sure! I even checked the source looking for an edit link, maybe it'd be there but just the button image missing... nothing found.

Christopher Lefchik September 20th, 2005 08:04 AM

I've noticed that the edit button disappears from my posts after a short time (24 hours?). I have to admit, it is annoying when I need to make a correction to a post after that period of time.

Justin Kohli September 20th, 2005 12:11 PM

Ahh so it is a limited time-range. That explains it, as I can edit this post and the original post still.

I posted a 5-question "get to know" thread in Area 51, but it didn't fly, so I wanted to loosen up the rules but I can't edit the thread anymore.

Chris Hurd September 23rd, 2005 07:57 AM

Here's a good example of the problem I see with post editing -- take a look at:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=58

This person didn't get a response after seven hours, so he went in and erased his post. Now I have no idea what he was asking. I guess seven hours was too long to wait, but DV Info is not an extremely high-traffic community. It's a very good community, one of the best for digital video, but not all that high in traffic... sometimes a response to a question will take 24 hours or 48 hours or more.

The other issue is if you have a multi-response thread going, and somebody decides for whatever reason to completely edit out their part of the discussion, then you're missing the flow of the conversation there.

There is a 24-hour grace period for editing posts. After that, I'd really prefer corrected info to go in as a follow-up. Just make a new reply with the corrected info. In some situations you can shoot an email to me or one of the moderators to do an edit for you if it's critical. But ultimately I think the best solution after 24 hours is to simply post a follow-up reply... it's quick, easy and painless. Hope this helps,

Sean Hansen September 24th, 2005 09:54 AM

I think Chris is right. Other forums I go and read a thread, and sometimes the original post to the thread is missing and I have no clue what it's about aside form the initial title. Or get half way through a thread and read, "Deleted by author". 24 hours should be plenty of time to edit typos or whatnot.

A follow up post is nice too. We get to compare whatever it was the author changed so we can see how this change came about.

Christopher Lefchik September 27th, 2005 10:53 PM

Chris (Hurd), I understand your reasons for time-disabling post editing. Unfortunately, due to misuse/abuse by a few the rest of us who would not abuse the privilege have to go without it.

Oh well, we'll survive, somehow. :-)

But I do want to take this opportunity to thank you for the great job you have done and continue to do with this message board. I know it takes a lot of time and effort on your part, and we are all grateful.

James Emory September 28th, 2005 05:27 AM

It seems that before the upgrade the edit window was longer, like 2 or 3 days, and you could delete your post. I have noticed that the post delete option is not available anymore as well. I do remember seeing the warning that if the thread starter deleted their initial post that all posts downstream would be deleted too. I guess that's why that is no longer an option. However, any post(s) after the very first one in a thread could be deleted without any further losses. Is there any way to give individuals longer edit windows?