DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   NEW ADOBE Creative Cloud Banner Ad with AUDIO seriously annoying! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/516519-new-adobe-creative-cloud-banner-ad-audio-seriously-annoying.html)

Shaun Roemich May 13th, 2013 05:37 PM

NEW ADOBE Creative Cloud Banner Ad with AUDIO seriously annoying!

Hey Chris... gotta say the new Adobe Ad in the lower panel that plays with audio is ridiculous.

Too loud, too unexpected, too intrusive.

Gabe Strong May 13th, 2013 10:37 PM

Re: NEW ADOBE Creative Cloud Banner Ad with AUDIO seriously annoying!

I too think it was seriously annoying. Of course I'm biased, I'm already annoyed with them
so it may have seemed more annoying than usual to me. But I understand how it all works,
this board IS ad supported after all, so what are you going to do? If a company wants to advertise
here, we should probably be happy they are supporting this place.

Noa Put May 14th, 2013 12:51 AM

I just press the mute button on my sound system...

Shaun Roemich May 14th, 2013 10:59 AM

Noa: the ad here was way louder than anything else running on my system and came out of nowhere.

I've never heard a peep out of an ad on DVInfo before therefore I ASSumed that I would never.

And yes, the fact that it happens to be Adobe pimpin' the Creative Cloud didn't help.

Thankfully I haven't heard it since.

Chris Hurd May 14th, 2013 01:44 PM

Sorry about the annoyance. The truth is that I cannot afford to not run these banners. However, I'll do what I can to get the creative switched from play on mouse-hover to play on mouse-click instead.

Just so you know, it could have been much worse -- these agencies often want interstitials (gigantic ads that block an entire page load), dynamic expanding banners, and complete site takeovers. It is true that we have briefly dabbled in those sorts of things in the past, but these days I pretty much put my foot down to invasions of that degree.

At least these aren't hotel, automotive or dating service ads... the only banners accepted here are for products and services relevant to this specific market. Almost all of the banner ads on this site come directly from in-house marketing departments staffed by the very same people you talk to at NAB. In the Adobe CC instance, it's outsourced to a very large ad agency (think Mad Men, but on the west coast and with much younger people) and it is admittedly a constant struggle to impress upon them the limits of acceptability for our particular readership, as opposed to the readership of, say, ESPN or The Huffington Post or Engadget for that matter.

You folks are much more discerning than the average 'net surfer (otherwise you wouldn't be here), so you deserve better. I'll make an appeal to get that creative switched from on-hover to on-click if possible.

Shaun Roemich May 14th, 2013 05:31 PM

Chris, I know that you rely on the ad model and you know I support you but SCREAMING LOUD AUDIO is unacceptable and this is the first time I've ever encountered it here at DVInfo or else I would not have mentioned it.

Bob Hart May 15th, 2013 08:50 AM

I guess there are two ways to see this.

1. Let the ad run unfettered and unaltered as to so annoy any prospective future customers that they are driven away in a screaming stumble-run with hands outstretched and let Adobe wear the consequences.

2. Counsel Adobe in a subtle way that their current version may be counter-productive to their campaign based on knowledge of the predominant sensibilities of this forum's members and suggest a more effective approach.

Chris Hurd May 15th, 2013 10:20 AM

The problem here isn't really Adobe itself, but rather the ad agency with which they have chosen to contract. I'll do what I can.

Shaun Roemich May 15th, 2013 04:46 PM

Just had the ad run again - this time I realized how it started playing. When I'm reading forums, I'm not all that concerned where my mouse pointer is as I scroll... obviously I halted on top of the ad when it started playing "mysteriously"...

May I RESPECTFULLY suggest that if I have taken the time to rollover your ad, it's not a huge stretch for me to exercise one more muscle and click on it.

The "rollover to play" just seems a little... desperate, perhaps? I don't know... seems almost like some kind of subterfuge to get "plays" count up for client reporting.

My 2 cents. Hope this "insight" helps get inside my head as a forumite and educated/opinionated consumer.

Mike Beckett May 16th, 2013 01:38 AM

I have to say, it really hasn't bothered me at all... and it's never made a noise either during normal forum use. Even when I moused over it, it wasn't dreadful.

Unless UK gets a different advert to the rest of yiz.

Brian Drysdale May 16th, 2013 01:59 AM

I haven't even seen the offending ad, my Ad blocker must be doing it's job.

Bob Hart May 16th, 2013 04:05 AM

Chris.

I feel I should make the point that whatever it takes to keep this site alive and well is fine by me. Ads are not going to make me all heartbroken and forlorn. I have drawn from the fount of knowledge here for quite a few years and know full well for that wellspring to flow on, there must also be the rain.

One of our conservative pollies has just given us aussies a bit of a verbal scragging over our faltering economy with the words, "the time of entitlement is over". A reminder perhaps that free lunches are but an illusion and that somehow must the bills be paid.

Rob Cantwell May 16th, 2013 04:56 AM

hmmm... doesnt play on my computer either, perhaps the popup blocker might have something to do with it!!

as for the line "the time of entitlement is over" - oh! my not ye as well - there sure hasn't been any entitlement here for quite a while now :-(

Steve Mims May 16th, 2013 08:09 AM

Chris,

Thanks for DVINFO. Providing this resource while finding a way to pay for it with ads is the logical thing. I'm glad you can reel in Adobe. It's a measure of how valuable this site is. I haven't experienced the audio issue (using Safari with pop-up blocking), but surprises while web surfing aren't really surprises anymore, are they?

Keep up the good work.

Steve

Mike Beckett May 16th, 2013 09:51 AM

I did mean "my normal usage"... which isn't a guarantee for any other given value of "normal"!