DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   In-text ads? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/520975-text-ads.html)

Ervin Farkas January 8th, 2014 05:47 PM

In-text ads?

1 Attachment(s)
I am browsing the site and noticed these words highlighted in red; when mousing over them, ads like the one below pop up.

Is this something coming from DVinfo or is it my browser/computer? I clicked on a few just to test and some of them are flagged as malicious.

What's going on?

Adam Chapman January 8th, 2014 07:52 PM

Re: In-text ads?

1 Attachment(s)
What that is, I don't know exactly, but I don't have it on my browser (Google Chrome).

Can you check it with another browser? Could be malware hosted on your computer or a toolbar with it hidden in.

Ervin Farkas January 8th, 2014 08:02 PM

I don't have them on my main Windows 7 computer in Google Chrome right now. Key word right now... will keep monitoring.

When I took the picture, I was using a Windows XP machine and Firefox on a corporate, strongly filtered network; not likely to have any malware on there.

These kind of ads are common on many sites; I am 100% sure it was not my computer, I see these all the time...

Mike Beckett January 9th, 2014 09:37 AM

TopArcadeHits does seem to be some sort of malware that will pepper your browser with ads etc.

Worth having a Google for removal instructions.

Chris Hurd January 10th, 2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1827042)
Is this something coming from DVinfo or is it my browser/computer?

Sorry Ervin, I've been away for a couple of days (pounding the halls of CES) and didn't see this until now. Can you please send me an email with some links to the posts on the site where these are appearing? Thanks in advance,

Chris Hurd January 10th, 2014 09:05 AM

Sucuri SiteCheck reports DVi as clean and free of malware: Sucuri SiteCheck - Free Website Malware Scanner

We're dinged for having an outdated forum software is all.

Also, I have no intention to implement in-text ads on this site.

Ervin Farkas January 10th, 2014 09:16 AM

Chris,

I cannot duplicate the issue on this computer; see third post about the conditions I saw those ads. I never saw them before or after, never on my home computer.

David Barnett January 11th, 2014 10:26 AM

Its probably some sort of malware. Did you download or install any software recently? Even something legit could offer you free "Blah blah blah" in their terms & agreements sections, to which you skimmed over it saying "Yes, I accept". Go into your Control Panel & click uninstall Programs then sort by Installed On Date, if you have anything recently that you probably feel you don't need you might wanna remove it.

Trond Saetre January 12th, 2014 06:06 AM

I just checked the specific post the OP had a picture of.
I'm using Windows 7 and IE 10 on this computer and did not notice any ads or links at all. Everything appear to be normal.

Ervin Farkas January 15th, 2014 12:03 PM

Working at the same place today where this incident happened, and this is what I found out so far.

Last week the IT people were in the midst of a major upgrade, and their firewall and web filter were down.

So today looking in the list of installed programs, two suspects popped up (this is a laptop I am only using at this location for specific purposes). They are:

- GreatArcadeHits
- Default Tab

Uninstalled both, did a scan with Malwarebites and sure enough found a bunch of PUP.Optional.GreatArcadeHits.A entries. Removed successfully.

Will report back if any other developments; I no longer see those ads.

Thanks for the help everyone.