A new forum section for (live event) video streaming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old May 5th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

A new forum section for (live event) video streaming?

Just noticed that we don't have one.

It could be a sub-part of 'Distribution Center' but I think streaming is a little bit bigger than that. Perhaps as its own section within 'Special Interest Areas'?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: A new forum section for (live event) video streaming?

I'd like this too!
Nathan Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Without a doubt a Streaming section will be helpful
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Trustee

A Live Video Streaming section would be useful for not only those who are actually doing it but also for those who see doing this in their future.

Many of the new cams are functionally ready with Wi-Fi for live streaming, including the Sony PXW-Z150, JVC GY-HM200, and the JVC GY-LS300. Unfortunately, there can be connection difficulties in getting something set up and running in a manner one would like so a forum area for discussion would be really useful.

Obviously church and sports venues are places where live streaming would be done but there are many other areas where streaming would be useful.

While looking for my next cam the Wi-Fi feature seemed to be just one more expensive ad-on or something to go wrong; however, I’ve got some ideas and Wi-Fi capability is in my next cam’s future, be it built-in or an add-on via an output.

A generic Live Video Streaming section that cuts across all brands would be nice to have.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Great idea. I would include both live production and streaming as these often go hand in hand. One might start with one camera and a mic, but pretty soon they will want another cameras, then graphics, bottom thirds, music bumpers, effects, and maybe even ad insertion! And then there's manpower vs. running the show solo. Maybe you want a live chroma key - now you can do 3D synthetic sets! There's lots of stuff in this space that we simply don't need to consider in offline production.

The streaming part is just the gateway. :)
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
A Live Video Streaming section would be useful for not only those who are actually doing it but also for those who see doing this in their future.
Yes, this. It would be very nice to have a video streaming section just for this reason. All the other reasons are just piling on.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Great idea. I would include both live production and streaming as these often go hand in hand. One might start with one camera and a mic, but pretty soon they will want another cameras, then graphics, bottom thirds, music bumpers, effects, and maybe even ad insertion! And then there's manpower vs. running the show solo. Maybe you want a live chroma key - now you can do 3D synthetic sets! There's lots of stuff in this space that we simply don't need to consider in offline production.

The streaming part is just the gateway. :)
Seconded. I do this for 2 fan conventions currently and we are the only convention in one of the fandoms to have an operational at convention TV station you can tune into via the hotel televisions and via the web.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Sounds great to me. I even have a 3rd party streaming device that lets you stream direct from your camcorder to a live stream hosting site using the widely available USB plug in Verizon/ATT 3G/4G LTE modems. No WiFi required!
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #9
Trustee

Another vote for it from me. I have asked the question before about where streaming posts should go and never received an answer.

We have the Wedding and Events forum here. I believe I am the only event guy that is a regular there. It is truly a wedding forum. In fact over the years two of the wedding guys told me my contributions did not count because I don't shoot weddings! Pretty funny, I have over twenty years of experience shooting almost everything else but weddings. I think if we separated events from weddings and put streaming and live event production and all of the things you guys mentioned in its own sub forum we would get a lot more contributions.

I did my first major live webcast in 2007. Has it ever changed since then! And it is a technology that changes faster than any other tech I use. Here is a link to the best site out there specializing in streaming and it's not a forum so I can post it here: Streaming Media - Online Video News, Trends, and Analysis

That site covers everything from single camera webcasts to how the big guys like Netflix do it. They also publish a very nice bi-monthly printed magazine and the subscription is free to professionals. I have learned a ton of stuff there.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Would love to see a true live event section- both streaming and not. I pretty much exclusively do live work, but felt totally out of sorts the few times I ended up in what is really the wedding (event) forum.

--Ben
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Major Player

where are you posting the live stream messages now? I wanted to comment on live streaming and not sure where everyone is putting those posts.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 07:57 PM   #12
Trustee

A forum for live event/streaming would be fantastic, this is pretty much all I do now.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #13
Equal Opportunity Offender

I've been posting in the open section here: Open DV Discussion Forum at DV Info Net

It's a good place to be in the meantime, and Chris Hurd will collect these and transfer them to the new section once there are enough threads for the new 'streaming' section to look impressively non-vacant.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #14
Trustee

Yesterday (May 24) I was at the KeyCode Media event at the Space Needle in Seattle and it was amazing how much of their Post NAB Show event had to do with streaming media. My guesstimate is that about 2/3rds of the event was dealing with streaming in one form or other, and that doesn’t include the camcorders like Sony, Black Magic, and JVC that also featured live streaming with or via their gear.

There is a LOT of money in the streaming area and the place was packed.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 06:20 AM   #15
Inner Circle

+1 here too. We are now offering Live Streaming at both weddings but mainly funerals ..they are an event that has very little notice (usually 3 days) so a live stream is an essential for guests that simply cannot make it in the time frame. Ours is simple admittedly with a single cam doing the live stream via Live Stream Broadcaster but we also use a second cam and edit that footage with the Ninja2 capture locally so the family have a more comprehensive record. It certainly is a growing field now so a forum for hints, tips and help would be awesome!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View