Happy 15th Birthday to DVInfo Forums! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old September 5th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #1
Warden

Happy 15th Birthday to DVInfo Forums!

If memory serves me correct today is the 15th birthday of the Forums. Congratulations Chris on running one of the best sites on the web. Failure never was an option and you proved it.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Happy 15th Birthday to DVInfo Forums!

I just checked my join date.....October 27, 2002. It was of course the XL1 Watchdog when I joined. After all of the years in analog tape I clearly remember looking at those first digital images from my XL1 and being blown away. I shot a lot of Betacam in those days but I owned VHS, SVHS, and Hi8 equipment.

I think my XL1 paid for itself in the first year on rental savings alone. When the XL2 came out I bought two of them. I don't know if I have ever had a camera before or since that time that gave me such a huge ROI as that three camera kit. And DVINFO.net was critical for me as I transitioned from a Betacam operator to a truly full service video production service provider.

I try to provide the best information I can when a DVINFO user asks a question I have the ability to answer. I do that as if I am paying a debt of gratitude because far more often I am on the receiving end of the learning process. I want to thank Chris and every single one of you guys that has generously shared so much knowledge with me. I could not have done it alone and this community has been a saving grace for me countless times.

Thank you all and long live DVINFO.net!!!

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Wrangler

What Steven said, and more. Happy to have been participating here for 14.5 years myself. It's wild to think of where the industry was then and how much change we have seen (even in the past five years).

What some may not know about DVInfo is that it was a leader in requiring real names and enforcing civility while other sites were (and some still are) filled with trolling and flame wars. Chris is a gentleman and expects the same of others and I have always applauded this.

Viva la DVInfo!
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
If memory serves me correct today is the 15th birthday of the Forums.
Memory indeed serves you correct and many thanks for the sentiment.

Sure appreciate all y'all. I don't know how to humble-brag about this sort of thing.

Lots more to follow from DVi, that much I can say.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 03:53 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
Congratulations Chris on running one of the best sites on the web
Congrats Chris and thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Bravo Chris!!!! And thank you!
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Trustee

WOW, I just checked my join date, October 2002. DVInfo. Like Steve I started with the XL1, then went to the XL1s and then to the XL2. I now have the XF300. I have met so many great people on this site, and, I have learned so much. Here is to the next 15 years. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:54 AM   #8
Wrangler

Like Steve, I found the site after getting an XL1, later replaced by two XL2 cameras. My first XL2 was out of the first shipment to arrive at ZGC a long time DVINFO sponsor. It was then that Chris asked if I would moderate the XL2 forum and I graciously and humbly accepted that role.

DVINFO has been responsible for the success of many who participate here, myself included. I could never thank Chris enough for all he has done, but a few six packs of Shiner Bock should put a dent in that debt of gratitude.

This forum has always been a breath of fresh air as Charles alluded to above in the civility department. There is a lot that goes on behind the curtain here to keep it that way.

I raise my bottle of Shiner to Chris and DVI, and look forward to what might come to pass in the years to come. 4K video adoption rate seems to be happening in a much shorter time frame than the transition from SD to HD. A couple years from now, we may all be shooting 8K and marveling at how lifelike the images are.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Congratulations! Doesn't seem that long. I joined in 2003. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge that has flowed over the years and will continue to check in almost daily.

Cheers!
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #10
Wrangler

Wow, 15 years? Where did they all go? I've been away for many years, but I'm back and glad to see everyone is still around. Actually, I just began a project editing lots of footage that I shot on my VX-2000 almost 15 years ago (in February 2002). Quite a lot has happened since then…. for example, I can now get Shiner at my local store in Mays Landing, NJ. :)

Congratulations Chris, and best wishes for the next 15!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm eleven years old and I concur, this forum has always been my main source for expert information. Congrats Chris on running a forum that has helped so many folks. This should be the number one source for camera and gear makers to get a solid idea of what the community is looking for.

When's the party?
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Wrangler

Jeff Donald! Long time no "see." Thank you for your great memory that allows us to come here and tell CH how much we have appreciated him and his fabulous DV Info board all these years! I learned so much from pros like Charles, had so much fun and made some lifelong friends. When I joined we didn't use real names, and it was the first forum I had ever joined. My username was so stupid I was relieved when Chris made the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Lots more to follow from DVi, that much I can say.
YAY!!

Edit: Hi, Boyd! So funny about the Shiner. It came back to Idaho, too, and is the only beer I'll buy. :)

Last edited by Lorinda Norton; September 29th, 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm going on 10 years here. Started on an old GL1 and then have just kept going from there. This site has been an invaluable resource for me in learning video.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Congratulations Chris, always a top notch site. Hope for many more years to come.

Mike
Old September 29th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #15
Wrangler

Happy 15th birthday, Chris!

many good years here. many fine folks!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements