DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   for sale ads (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/61340-sale-ads.html)

Mike Coco February 23rd, 2006 06:26 AM

for sale ads

What happened to the classified section?
Has it been moved or am I missing something?

mike

Christopher Leclair February 23rd, 2006 06:46 AM

ditto?
Wondering the same thing?

Leo Pepingco February 23rd, 2006 07:30 AM

The evil e-bay suits found us! No!!! They are going to rule the world... Its true! I've seen the future of online ebaying!!!!

Boyd Ostroff February 23rd, 2006 07:47 AM

Since we've had a few issues with the classified ads recently, Chris is implementing a new policy of restricting access to that forum to members who have been here for awhile with a track record of posts. Looking at your join dates (all less than a month old), I suspect that's why you aren't able to access the classified ads.

Hang on a little longer, when the new policy is final I'm sure Chris will spell it out for everyone. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Christopher Leclair February 23rd, 2006 07:49 AM

Sure makes it hard for me to get into the business!!!!!!! I think newbies are probably ones that are in most need of the equipment and probably less knowledgeable about posting.

Christopher Leclair February 23rd, 2006 07:57 AM

Oh here's something else to think about (and another post). New members are probably also people looking to sell their equipment and have registered to sell it and also probably have less hours on the equipment then others. I'm looking for someone local anyway and wont really trust someone selling me over a large distance. I still think its up to the discretion (sp) of the buyer to decide on trust and post count is a way to help with that. But then again post count is something that everyone can see and so they can ignore a low post counts sell! Just my 2 cents.

Mike Teutsch February 23rd, 2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Leclair
Oh here's something else to think about (and another post). New members are probably also people looking to sell their equipment and have registered to sell it and also probably have less hours on the equipment then others. I'm looking for someone local anyway and wont really trust someone selling me over a large distance. I still think its up to the discretion (sp) of the buyer to decide on trust and post count is a way to help with that. But then again post count is something that everyone can see and so they can ignore a low post counts sell! Just my 2 cents.

Christopher,

Actually it is pretty much the opposite. The new people have often been signing up to post equipment to sell that is non-existant. Many have been links to ebay listings and some were even outright scams.

One lately, regarding the sale of a Z1U, was a total scam and the poster never responded to others. Another recently scammed three members out of their money on a camera purchase, and shipped the camera to no one. These were both new members.

Think of it this way, if you were buying something off of ebay, do you want to deal with someone who has a good rating and has bought and sold hundreds of items, or the guy who just signed up and lists a $3,000.00 camera????

I am sure that Chris will work out a compromise that will work. Many people have not even entered their locations, as required. Perhaps he will figure a way to verify the users ID and valid address etc., at least for the classifieds.

Hang in there! It will work out.

Mike

Rick Jones February 23rd, 2006 08:33 AM

Not quite fair to those of us who have been members for quite a while and come here to get information. I'm sure a lot of us don't post because either we don't have that much to say or just don't like being flamed. (this forum is not as bad as most)

I've purchased approximately $9,000 worth of cameras and equipment directly from people from this forum. However, my post count is fairly low. Why comment on things just to comment like a lot of people do. Silly.

Every forum that allows selling is open to scams. ebay being the worst. However, I've felt that this board does a great job of policing itself. (ie. the Z1 issue) And it's a relatively safe place if you recognize that if someone is trying to sell a 4K camera for 2K it's probably not legit! We're all big people here (well, most of us anyway) and don't need big brother watching out for us. The government does that enough! ;-)

Don't punish the rest of us for the actions of a VERY few!!!

Rick

PS - Thanks to Greg Bates for my latest purchase last week from this forum. Another XL2 for my arsenal!

Christopher Leclair February 23rd, 2006 08:41 AM

I can certainly see both sides of the coin on this issue! Maybe what would be best is a 15-30 day min before posting in this section??

I have to say that the main reason I came here was to pick up some equipment to avoid using ebay. If it means I can trust the users then I'll go with whatever decision is made and will try my best to get up to the needed post count ;)

Mike Teutsch February 23rd, 2006 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Jones

Don't punish the rest of us for the actions of a VERY few!!!

Rick

It always seems harsh, but it is the way the world works. Every law and rule anywhere is designed to protect 90% of the people from the 10% who will take advantage of or harm them.

It will work out! Perhaps Chris will set up a system whereby those who wish to buy and sell, or just make a post, have to have more personnal information on file. Full real name, address, and phone numbers perhaps.

Mike

Rick Jones February 23rd, 2006 08:59 AM

We had this same problem on Fred Miranda's site a couple of years ago. Fred was going to drop the Buy/Sell forum all together. Fortunately, there was enough gnashing of teeth by the members that it stayed up.

These boards are great places to get good information and reasonable deals on used equipment. ebay is good, if you're careful. I've bought and sold there for years and have only gotten burned once. I got greedy, trying to get something for nothing. Fortunately, it wasn't too expensive.

If we just realize that every transaction is fraught with dangers, go into it with eyes wide open, and carefully check out the seller BEFORE sending any money, you'll do fine. Heck, we let waiters take our gold AMEX cards every day and disappear into the back hoping they won't copy it. It's a risk. Driving a car is a risk. (especially here in ATL !) But just use common sense and be a little careful. And don't try to get something for nothing!

Rick

(well, if nothing else, this'll get my post count up!)

Chris Hurd February 23rd, 2006 09:13 AM

The "official notice" is located here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=61346

In short, there were two problems. First, a growing number of scam attempts. Second, a large influx of new members coming in for the sole purpose of listing or replying to the Classifieds (no offense intended, but those folks are not the people that I want to attract to this site -- I prefer instead to have members who are into the spirit of friendly, productive community discussions about digital video).

There is another alternative that I just thought of... paid subscriptions. In other words, long-time members continue use the Classifieds for free. We revert back to public display so that unregistered guests can see that forum. New folks (below a certain post count or number of days as a member) would have to pay to play. To list an item costs a certain amount, to respond to a listing might cost a token amount. Pay online by PayPal. How would you feel about that.

Keith Loh February 23rd, 2006 09:20 AM

Chris, doesn't paying a fee to 'play' as you said, imply some sort of warranty for the user playing?

Christopher Leclair February 23rd, 2006 09:22 AM

How about to post a 'for sale' you have to be a long time member? I highly doubt a purchaser of a classified can scam someone out of a camera since in most cases cash is sent before the item is shipped. I'm okay with that. Dunno how you can regulate it but maybe the forsalers can provide private contact information that can otherwise be viewed, just not posted i.e. locked to post? Just an idea.

Chris Hurd February 23rd, 2006 09:23 AM

Keith, I guess I'd have to put that money into a fund to cover that implied warranty, or at least pay for an attorney to draft the neccessary boilerplate stating that a warranty is *not* implied. Either way I'm not getting any richer.