DV Info Wiki Reference - How About That? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old September 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #16
Major Player

If there is enough demand for HDV/DV wiki content then why don't people just add stuff to Wikipedia? Is there really any reason to have another wiki on the Internet? I don't see the point to setting up a seperate wiki site, when the resource is already there - and free! It seems a little silly to ask Chris to spend more money on a wiki, when free wiki facilities already exist on the Internet.

I would think it would be better to build upon the already existing Wikipedia. For topics such as "which microphone should I buy", you to provide an external link to the DVi forum archive. (Obviously copying and pasting DVi forum content onto another site is NOT allowed).

However, I personally agree with Chris in that FAQ stickies are the better way to go. Having only recently found out what a wiki was, I already find them pretty annoying. Wikipedia is a handy resource - but it has so many problems and issues. I would much prefer to do a search on this lovely forum interface, and be able to view personal opinions, than read a biased one-sided article. That's why I come to DVi for information and not just do a search on Google.

Question: can you add stuff to the vBulletin FAQ? That could be something worth looking into. For example, you could do a search for "boompole" and it will return a FAQ article with some basic information and also links to all the relevant threads. Not sure if it's possible though...

My 2c.
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #17
Major Player

One of the links posted by Boyd reminded me that the DV Info and HDV Info articles are constantly being updated! I completely forgot about them! Also, in the past I always clicked on the HDV Info Articles page (as opposed to the DV Info Articles page) because I tend to shoot mostly in HDV. But after looking at the DV Info Articles, it seems there are a heap of very general articles (such as a ME66 vs 416 mic comparison).

Suggestions/Ideas/Comments:

Is there a way to merge the HDV and DV articles together (and I guess the P2 articles as well)? I guess the reason being, as more technology is introduced, you don't really want to have to keep purchasing new domain names, and setting up new sites.

At the end of each article maybe there should be a link to a specially created forum thread that allows people to discuss the article, offering their own ideas, suggestions and comments. This also means that when someone does a search for, say "ME66 vs 416" on the forum, they will be shown a post which links to the article - keeping everything tied together.

Comments? Suggestions?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I've previously suggested a system where the moderators receive submissions and vet them to be put into a hierarchical structured html database (or wiki) with little interest. As long as the structure is done right (broken down into obvious sensible and straight forward structured categories) it should be obvious and easy to navigate, just type in keyword or make several clicks to get exactly what you want. With the chance to put an advertisement on each page, attract people from all over the video world, and double membership, I would have thought it would be a great idea.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements