Does DVinfo has a backup of it's information? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old August 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Does DVinfo has a backup of it's information?

Hi,

maybe stupid question here as I know absolutely nothing about having a website or running a board, but does DVinfo has a kind of backup of all it's information if there would something crash in the system?
I don't even know if these things can just 'crash', but on this site there is just a wealth of information, for which I and probably a thousand of members are very thankful for (Thank you, Chris Hurd and all the moderators, wranglers and members!) and some sticky's are very useful, and it would be just such a complete sin if everything, all that information, could be lost because of a crash...

Pardon if it's a simple or dumb question, but it popped into my head, so.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Wrangler

I'm sure the site is backed up, but Chris could tell you more. But I think the "archive" is actually a backup copy, isn't it?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/

But if something catastrophic wiped DVinfo out, you could always use the WayBack Machine at archive.org to look at historical copies :-)

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.dvinfo.net/conf
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Our entire database (posts, topics, accounts, passwords etc.) is completely backed up in full every night and is stored on a separate server in a different city. If something bad happened (touching wood), we'd lose at the most only 24 hours worth of activity. Currently thinking hard about going to a 12-hour backup. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thank you very much for the information. It's very re-assuring :-)

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #5
Major Player

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. I was sure that everything was backed up, Chris has established a pretty professional site here so backing everything up isn't something he wouldn't do, but I thought "What if someone or some people went through all the archives and posts up until now to compile a list of all the good information posted on the site? Maybe it could be made into a book, 'The DVinfo.net Encyclopedia' or something like that, or at least a very good compiled list." Then I remembered, that'd take A LOT of work and common sense (ie. not putting up rumors or way off information). I just figured that something like that would be really neat versus diving into the archives for one little thing that was said. Just a thought. =)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements