DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   DVinfo interested in subforum about scriptwriting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/76239-dvinfo-interested-subforum-about-scriptwriting.html)

Mathieu Ghekiere September 26th, 2006 08:33 AM

DVinfo interested in subforum about scriptwriting?

Hey,

I had a question for Chris, other moderators, but also members here: I know there is a forum about Independent Filmmaking, but is there interest, from people here to have a subforum about writing scripts or not?
We have a forum about sound, light, books, cameras,... but not about stories.
I would be pretty interested, but there should be many people wanting it before it could be released, IF that's the case. I just want to poll some opinions here about the subject.

Best regards,

Pete Bauer September 26th, 2006 08:52 AM

My personal opinion is that though it is an important topic to many of us, there wouldn't be enough traffic to justify creating a new subforum...I think it's more of a "thread-sized" topic that would tuck nicely in the existing Techniques for Independent Production forum.

Barry Gribble September 26th, 2006 12:47 PM

I'd personally really like to see more interest in that topic here. The techical stuff is great, and needed, but the script is where it starts. So you have my vote.

There are some other great place for that too... I frequent www.TVWriter.com and always get good advice there. Larry Brody, who's written for about 50 different TV shows, runs the operation. He is very interested in new media development and would love to have some more people on that site who have some production experience as well as an interest in good writing.

Joe Carney September 26th, 2006 01:45 PM

Also, check out www.celtx.com for free scriptwriting/preproduction/collaboration software. They also offer script hosting services.

Emre Safak September 26th, 2006 05:12 PM

dvinfo does not attract those kind of people, I am afraid. Start your own thread in an appropriate forum, get the ball rolling. We are right behind you.

Richard Alvarez September 26th, 2006 05:32 PM

I don't know that its strictly true the DVinfonet doesn't attract "those kind of people". I happen to be one of them. I consider myself primarily a storyteller. I enjoy writing screenplays, and have won numerous awards and optioned two of my feature scripts.

And I hang out here.

Emre Safak September 26th, 2006 06:19 PM

Half a dozen people won't cut it, if you ask me. The forum structure is, let's face it, equipment-centric. If you want a discussion on screenwriting, you have to set up a system that enables people to submit screenplays. Like photo-gallery for writing.

Keith Loh September 27th, 2006 02:07 AM

Since I sold the last of my video equipment I've been spending most of my creative time writing. Actually, I'm a moderator at the CeltX forums now. However, I do skim DVInfo.net all the time. If anyone wants to discuss screenwriting, there is activity over there.

Marco Leavitt September 27th, 2006 10:13 AM

Seems like this comes up every year or so, and the general feeling is that this forum can't be all things at once, and should concentrate on hardware, software and shooting techniques. Personally, I'd love to see a screenwriting group in here, as all of the other forums I've checked out are very poorly moderated (haven't checked yours yet Keith). One thing I think it would accomplish is encouraging the technical and creative sides to find mutual ground. A lot of times filmmakers regard the script as just the jumping off point for their own ideas, and feel no particular obligation to treat the writer's work with respect. On the other hand, you have writers who think every little comma is gold or something. Ideally, I think both processes should evolve organically together in the creation of project. I consider myself primarily a writer, but learning the technical side has greatly changed my writing. I have a much better understanding now of how a scene will play out. I don't think the two disciplines are that much different actually, both are crafts more than they're art.

Joe Carney September 27th, 2006 10:37 AM

Marco I'm actively seeking a good screen writer who is willing to work for deferred payment (points). I know what you mean about how writers are treated, but I view them as the cornerstone of the entire film. A strong one and you have the potential for a great film, a weak one and the rest isn't worth the time. (I get "Fade In" every month). I'm not a writer, but I know great writing when I read it.

Pete Bauer September 27th, 2006 10:54 AM

Interesting comments about being unhappy with the web sites that already do discuss screenwriting. Do you guys think a screenwriting forum moderated in the no-nonsense DVi style would fill a need that isn't otherwise filled elsewhere -- for enough writers to make it worth it?

DVi usually waits for a groundswell of support for a new (non-camera) topic before investing the resources into a new forum. But if you think the "build it and they will come" approach would work here, I'm sure Chris would give it fair consideration.

Marco Leavitt September 27th, 2006 11:32 AM

There's definitely a need. Hard to say if there's enough interest to support it here. People do keep asking about it though. Like I said, count me in.

Keith Loh September 27th, 2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
One thing I think it would accomplish is encouraging the technical and creative sides to find mutual ground.

I think there are as many hobbyist, indie filmmakers as there are screenwriters who are starting out. I know every week or so someone on craigslist is asking for a screenwriter to help out.

One challenge I've found personally is that it is hard to write a short script for most beginning screenwriters. From my experience, most of the screenplays I've seen posted are feature-length. The other part of that is that many shorts are aimed at contests which require writing on the spot in collaboration with the director. For that most filmmakers would go with people they know rather than advertise for it.

All: what are the parameters of a *good* screenwriting forum that you feel are missing from the ones you've seen?

Marco Leavitt September 27th, 2006 01:20 PM

I would look at it as way for screenwriters to advance their craft, not so much as a place to solicit or offer services, although that would be cool too, wouldn't it?

It would be difficult to deal in a lot of specifics about works in progress because writers, almost to a person, are a paranoid lot. Posting a log line on the Internet for a script you haven't written yet wouldn't be a very smart thing to do anyway, paranoid or not. Maybe some feedback could be done off list, with more general comments made online in a way that doesn't give too much away.

I would also see the new forum as a place to discuss strengths and weakness of scripts from popular movies, style rules, tips on marketing, getting an agent, and so on. People could also share their experience of watching their work get made. It's really weird to see your words coming out of somebody else's mouth for the first — surest way to find out you're stuff isn't as good as you thought.

My problem with pretty much every (public) site on screenwriting is that the topics always devolve into pettiness and arguments. I find the forums at the otherwise excellent www.wordplayer.com to be unnavigable as well, especially the way people abuse the subject line as the sole method of replying. So annoying!

Keith Loh September 27th, 2006 05:38 PM

I guess my question is how a new forum would be any different from the others. I know you speak of the DVInfo.net moderation... My moderation on celtx came about because so many people had very basic questions on screenwriting - basic enough that I could answer them. But, like DVInfo.net, people came originally because of the software tool.