Looking forward to meeting anybody at these events... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old February 10th, 2002, 06:24 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Count me in...I'm there! How about Hawaii? (Heck of a lot closer for me and Adrian than Texas)

:)
Old February 10th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #17
Major Player

Timing is everything! I plan to be in Boston in March, which is a "little" too late to meet anyone at the NYC show.

Regarding John's (and other's) comments, this is a pretty special community. There are several active ones around, but most seem to degenerate into platform wars, sniping, chest-thumping, and personal attacks. This one doesn't, due in large part to the efforts of our benevolent moderator. Not bad for a Texan!

(Oklahoma '71-'76)
Old February 10th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #18
Major Player

I agree Vic, most boards turn to mush after a few months. This is the only one I've found consistently on target and helpful. Even the "tourists" seem to get the point early on and become good contributors. Having been a SYSOP (I don't think that term is used any longer?) of a bulleting board in the late 80s, I'm aware of the constant attention these boards demand. Like you, I commend Chris for doing an excellent job. Now, how he does this and still manage to find time to make a real living is a mystery to me. ;-)
Old February 11th, 2002, 12:32 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Aw shucks fellas,

What makes this such a great place are all the wonderful high-class members who've stepped aboard, so give yourselves a hand. As a "moderator" I've actually had to do only very little. The secret as to why things have gone smoothly so far is because you can't get in without a valid e-mail address. That may not seem like a big deal but in my experience, the troublemakers never want to say who they really are. Take away the anonymity and suddenly everybody's honest and polite. I like it! ;-)

As to Adrian's question, I've had *one* chance to go OS, and that was to Amsterdam last year to the IBC Conference, but unfortunately it didn't materialize. You see, my flight on United Airlines was scheduled for 12pm on September 11th, 2001.

I would love nothing more than to take a trip down under to Oz and there is a major show, the SMPTE event, which I'll try to find somebody to send me to. ;-)

In the meantime, a DVinfoNet Getaway Weekend (or week would be better) in Hawaii sounds like the ticket. But I doubt we would get much done except try to run the place out of tropical drinks and screen some old movies.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2002, 12:37 AM   #20
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<But I doubt we would get much done except try to run the place out of tropical drinks and screen some old movies.>>

Like I said...I'm there!

;)
Old February 11th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #21
Trustee

I don't know about getting no footage. Everyone can bring their cameras down to Sunset and shoot me getting delt the goods by that nasty mother of a wave.

Then I'll be leading the push for some soothing tropical drinks or 50
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2002, 03:01 PM   #22
RED Code Chef

Count me in! Be there with my XL1S :)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Ozzie Alfonso: it was *great* to meet you at the New York DV Conference. Thanks for stopping by!

Old February 15th, 2002, 06:58 PM   #24
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Ozzie Alfonso: it was *great* to meet you at the New York DV Conference. Thanks for stopping by! -->>>

Likewise Chris. I just spent a 12 hour, non-stop day taping actors - directing and working the XL-1s. I'm beyond tired at the moment. When I get a chance I'll put in my two cents re the XL-1s. The short of it - great camera! Weakest part - the EVF. After 12 hours looking through it you just have to trust the focus is okay. The reason is more complex than just a low res color finder. But more on that on another occasion. Now to meet with the clients and try to settle on a cast. Another few hours worth.

Oz
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

Drop by and say hello if you're coming to any of these events:

ShowBiz Expo in Los Angeles, June 2 - 4 for Canon USA

InfoComm in Las Vegas, June 12 - 14 for Canon USA

DV Expo East in New York City, June 25 - 26 for Canon USA

MacWorld in New York City, July 17 - 19 for Canon USA

VideoMaker Expo in East Rutherford, NJ, July 25 - 27 for Canon USA

Los Angeles DV Show in Burbank, July 29 - August 1 for Professional Tape and Communication Supply

-- it was great to meet everybody at NAB -- thanks,

Old August 20th, 2002, 12:32 AM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Anybody going to the WEVA show (Wedding & Event Videographers Association) in Las Vegas next week, Aug 26-29, drop by the Canon booth and say howdy! It would be great to meet you. My "booth buddies" will include Don Berube, Adam Brooks and Daniel Berube, all moderators of various forums here in the community. You can make fun of our tradeshow attire. Be sure to pay us a visit,

Old September 12th, 2002, 11:34 AM   #27
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

Chris are you going to be at RESFEST in SF this year ?? or any of the RESFEST showings ?
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 09:11 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Donatello,

As always, it was great to see you at RES Fest in San Francisco last year. Unfortunately they're not sending me to that particular event this time. I might get to do some other RES Fest, but I really love San Francisco so I'm kinda feeling left out right now. Hope to get up there again soon... should make it to MacWorld there in January at any rate.

Old November 28th, 2002, 01:45 AM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Anybody going to DV Expo West... Dec. 10 - 12 in Los Angeles

www.dvexpo.com

Drop by the Canon booth and say howdy -- it would be great to meet you!

Old December 8th, 2002, 05:28 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Chris,

Having lived in Houston the last two years, I was really spoilt by having everything I wanted within a 24 hour shipping distance, if not just a run along the 610 loop. Now, my beautiful home country, South Africa, has succeeded in it's siren songs and I'm happily perched on the scenic slopes of the 12 Apostles in the 300 dwelling community of llandudno just a few kms south of "The most beautiful city in the world", Cape Town.

Having the XL1S and a Titanium 800 with FCP3, I've caused quite a stir down here, but man, do I feel lonely. Don't get me wrong, the DV Community is a life saver, but nothing beats the opportunity to spend a day "shopping" where you can touch and feel all the goodies.

With all that said....How about a Dv Expo in Cape Town? This place is a mad house with top international commercials and features, yet the only store that has anything DV related, carries a Cokin adapter and holder and a 1.6 extender. Anything else has to be shipped in. In the few months I've been here I've met 3 XL1's, an XM1 and a PD150 and I'm a hermit, so they are here.

I would also seriously consider being a local rep if anyone is interested.

What do you say Chris, ever had the chance to step into an enclosure with a beautiful cheetah and hear her questioning purrs as you stroke her?

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements