DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Image verification for searches? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/90862-image-verification-searches.html)

DJ Lewis April 6th, 2007 08:46 AM

Image verification for searches?

What????

Love this site, I do.... HATE this new search engine. I haven't been able to find anything without searching outside the site via google. No matter how many times I type the sequence in the verifier, I get the same thing: "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed."

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2007 11:00 AM

That image verification check should have appeared only if you're NOT logged in to the site. Regardless, I have turned that function off for the time being. My apologies for the previous inconvenience.

DJ Lewis April 6th, 2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 655195)
That image verification check should have appeared only if you're NOT logged in to the site. Regardless, I have turned that function off for the time being. My apologies for the previous inconvenience.

Thank you. Please know that in no way, shape, or form, am I telling you how to run this site; I wouldn't even know where to begin. If there is reason behind the verification tool, please do not take it down on account of my remark. I didn't realize this option goes away once you're logged in.....

Boyd Ostroff April 6th, 2007 11:38 AM

From my experience, it's common on other sites to limit some of the functions, like searches, to registered members....

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2007 11:54 AM

There was a time when the Search function here was limited to registered members only, but then I realized we were getting a number of registrations just to use that function alone. I want the registrations to reflect actual participating members who choose to post and interact, so Search has been enabled for guests and lurkers in order to cut down on that (and non-active members, with zero posts who have not visited in awhile, are frequently culled out of the database).

Quote:

in no way, shape, or form, am I telling you how to run this site...
Believe me, friendly suggestions are always welcome. To be honest, I had no idea that guest searches even required that image check until you pointed it out. We'll see how it goes without it for awhile.

Greg Boston April 6th, 2007 12:21 PM

The image verification for non-members prevents an unknown person from using a bot to initiate multiple non-stop searches which would create something like a denial-of-service attack. Forcing a human to input a verification thwarts efforts to use automation as an attack mechanism.

-gb-

DJ Lewis April 6th, 2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston (Post 655251)
Forcing a human to input a verification thwarts efforts to use automation as an attack mechanism.

I totally get that; I was just surprised by it, that's all....

I applaud Chris' efforts to ensure we are a real community. My only issue was that I couldn't ever get past the verification, and didn't have the foresight to log in and bypass it all together. My bad....