DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Announcements (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/)
-   -   Logged in non stop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-announcements/92913-logged-non-stop.html)

Ervin Farkas May 1st, 2007 01:08 PM

Logged in non stop

I just got a new PC here at work and I am noticing an important difference. While on my old PC I had to constantly log in (was getting kicked out every 10-15 minutes or so of inactivity), on the new PC I am logged in all the time.
The old one had IE 6 and Slimbrowser running on top of it, the new one came with IE 7 and I have not changed any settings. In the morning I am connected (logged in) to DVinfo.net in a heartbeat, and I can now close the browser and open it up any time of the day and I'm logged in without delay (when accessing the page from the Favorites).

Does this mean I'm constantly connected to the DVi server? Because if it does, than I'm screwed as internet activity is monitored!

Thanks,

Randall Allen May 1st, 2007 01:35 PM

Nope....

It should be a function of the way your system is handling cookies. Sounds like your previous system was not storing the cookie right so the server did not recongnize you when you logged in. One test would be to look at the right side of the screen between the two quick link bars....it will say something like "Welcome back, Ervin Farkas It's great to see you again. You were most recently informed: Today at 11:23 AM."

Generally speaking you do not have a constant connection to any web site unless they are sending you constant updates, or in the case of remote terminal services. It would not be good to tie up server and network resources for that.

Randy

Rob Lohman May 2nd, 2007 09:38 AM

Randall is right! Your IE7 simply stores the details for logging in (without getting too technical).

I'm using firefox on a mac and it does the same thing.

This is totally normal!

Richard Zlamany May 2nd, 2007 09:49 AM

Rob are you saying that you do or do not stay logged in to DVi on a mac with safari?

I do not stay logged in. Every 10 minutes I log out with a mac & safari.

I've tried everything I know to correct this problem.

Ervin Farkas May 2nd, 2007 02:48 PM

Where is that setting in Internet options? I'd like to set up my home PC as well so that it won't kick me out every 10 minutes.

Boyd Ostroff May 2nd, 2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Zlamany (Post 671367)
Rob are you saying that you do or do not stay logged in to DVi on a mac with safari?

I do not stay logged in. Every 10 minutes I log out with a mac & safari.

There's an issue with Safari and the new forum software which causes this unfortunately. But it seems a little inconsistent. I'm using Safari on two different computers and haven't seen the problem myself.

I have mentioned this to Chris a couple times already, and will remind him again. Evidently it's a known issue with this version of vBulletin software.

Denis Danatzko May 2nd, 2007 06:46 PM

And all this time I thought maybe I was being punished.

(Is my paranoia showing)?

I always get kicked out after a few minutes, and it's particularly annoying if I'm in the middle of replying to a post.

I'm running XP Pro, and use Firefox for my browser.

Chris Hurd May 4th, 2007 07:02 AM

No doubt, it's a definite issue. I'll ask our server maestro Jeff to look in on it.

Randall Allen May 4th, 2007 08:14 AM

Cookie setting for IE are found in the Internet Options dialog box. Located in the "Tools" menu of both IE6 and IE7. Select the Privacy tab. Mine are set at medium which should block all 3rd party cookies but allow most 1st party cookies as well as session cookies.

1st party cookies are ones that are set by the server that houses the web site you are visiting. In this case Dvinfo.net

3rd party cookies are set by any server other than the one hosting the page you are visiting. For example, IF Chris was using some junk add server for banner adds from any Tom, Dick and Harry....THANK YOU CHRIS FOR NOT DOING THAT!.....then when the web page calls for a banner image from SomeStupidBannerAdCompany.com that server also tries to set a cookie so they can track you across multiple web sites.

Session cookies are set by the site and only last until you log out or are timed out due to inactivity. They allow the user to navigate the site without having to place login info in the URL of each page that you request. If your settings were such that you were not storing session cookies you could not go from one page to another without having to log back in.

If the Medium setting does not work for you you can click the "Advanced" button and overide the 1st party cookie settings.

Randy