DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DV Info Net Recent Articles (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-recent-articles/)
-   -   by Steve Mims: The One-Offs: A Short Film Made with the Canon EOS C300 (new article on DVi) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dv-info-net-recent-articles/506718-one-offs-short-film-made-canon-eos-c300-new-article-dvi.html)

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2012 09:42 AM

The One-Offs: A Short Film Made with the Canon EOS C300 (new article on DVi)

Steve Mims, a brilliant filmmaker and one of my former film instructors at UT-Austin, took
a crack at the Canon EOS C300 in late February. Rather than shooting the usual camera
test, he created a short little film from a script and an organized two-day shoot. Steve has
written for DVi before and made the national talk-show circuit last year with his award-
winning documentary "Incendiary: the Willingham Case" (co-directed with Joe Bailey, Jr.),
easily the best documentary I saw in all of 2011 and no, I'm not saying that just because I
know him. Anyway, Steve has provided DV Info Net with an in-depth look at his experience
with the C300. Read on...

"I’ve included all the details I think are essential to not just the camera
and it’s function, but the script and process as well, compete with names,
dates, work flows and strategies. We’re finishing post production as I write
this, and the film looks great. We had a delightful time shooting, thanks to
a genuinely bright and funny cast, a small, industrious crew and an amazing
new camera, the Canon EOS C300."

Page One -- The One-Offs: Introduction and Project
Page Two -- The One-Offs: Pre-Production, Production & Post
Page Three -- The One-Offs: Camera Evaluation & Conclusions

Charles Papert April 6th, 2012 10:17 AM

Re: The One-Offs: A Short Film Made with the Canon EOS C300 (new article on DVi)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1725485)
Rather than shooting the usual camera
test, he created a short little film from a script

At this point Chris, I would say that IS the "usual camera test"! Never in more evidence than the C300 rollout...

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2012 11:06 AM

Re: The One-Offs: A Short Film Made with the Canon EOS C300 (new article on DVi)

A change for the better, isn't it?

Robert Sanders April 6th, 2012 01:04 PM

Awesome. Thank you.

Chris Hurd April 6th, 2012 01:16 PM

There will be more to add... I still have to put together a fourth page
which will have some tech info and credits, plus some graded vs.
ungraded clips to show in a player. I needed to get it online though,
so what you see there will be embellished as soon as I can. Steve
will release the complete film for public viewing sometime after NAB.

David Knaggs April 12th, 2012 08:57 PM

An excellent write-up. I'm in complete agreement with what he says in the Conclusions section and the look of that still from the restroom scene. I think it really opens the door to much more intimate lighting set-ups. Even a simple thing like a reflector can create a much bigger effect with the practical use of high ISOs. As he says, in the right circumstances it can "change everything for contemporary filmmaking".

Chris Hurd April 12th, 2012 09:07 PM

Fully agreed, David, and thanks for your comments.

I hope to have the previously mentioned Page Four added in before I leave for NAB.

Chris Hurd April 15th, 2012 02:17 PM

Instead of adding a fourth page, I have made revisions to all three original pages.

New material: BTS video, color grading sample, credits, tech info and yes! the finished film.

The link is The One-Offs: A Short Film Made with the Canon EOS C300 at DVInfo.net