by Bill Davis: NAB Tips For Trade-Show Rookies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > DV Info Net Recent Articles
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Recent Articles
Our authors welcome your feedback.

Old March 13th, 2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

NAB Tips For Trade-Show Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis
In the 25 years I’ve been regularly attending NAB, I’ve learned a few tricks. For instance, when I was starting out, trade shows were about seeing all the shiny things on display, because for decades the big trade show was the only place to get information directly from multiple manufacturers. So most attendees would end up flying home with bags and bags of of brochures and product sheets to study. But those days are gone.
Read the full article at NAB Tips For Trade-Show Rookies at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: NAB Tips For Trade-Show Rookies

Chris - the paragraph you quoted was exactly the "life cycle" I went though. We, wife and I, went to two Vegas trade shows each year, the Winter Sports Ski Show (SIA) (since moved to Denver) and the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), both held at the end of the winter months. Like you said, early on it was all about collecting catalogs and business cards on anything that looked interesting. However, it is expensive and time consuming to attend the shows.

To tag onto what you wrote about getting organized, even a few weeks before the show I would get a floor plan with the booth numbers, get a list of exhibiters and their booth numbers, figure out who were "must see" and "like to see" vendors then figure out where everybody was and how to get to them in an organized manner. With the ski show we had to do a lot of ordering so that took time. We had our open-to-by lists prepared before we even arrived. With CES it was different because that wasn't a show where one placed orders but being organized before arriving was highly important.

As for the seminars, we really didn't attend many of those because much of the content was already pretty covered in the trade magazines or via other sources.

It would have been really nice, though, to live in a place like Arizona and just drive there but coming from a long distance there is a lot of travel cost and travel time.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > DV Info Net Recent Articles