by Art Adams: The Judd Offset: What I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know About OLED Monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > DV Info Net Recent Articles

DV Info Net Recent Articles
Our authors welcome your feedback.

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

The Judd Offset: What I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know About OLED Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Adams
The first series of Sony OLED pro monitors looked green to me, and until recently I didn’t know why. It turned out I wasn’t hallucinating, and I now know a little more about what I didn’t know I didn’t know.
Read the full article: The Judd Offset: What I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know About OLED Monitors at DV Info Net

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: The Judd Offset: What I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know About OLED Monitors

Lost me almost immediately when it got into the color science, but that's my failure. I'm not much of an "under the hood" guy.

This did give me pause: "One or two rental houses have Flanders Scientific (FSI) monitors, whose color is relatively good but aren’t considered robust enough for field use." I've carted my FSI 2641 all over the place for three years and it's going strong. Has been back for calibration a couple of times but it was only marginally out of spec. Many of the DIT's I work with consider them workhorses and several own them. I've sniffed at the Sony OLEDs but still consider them a little "dangerous" to use as a reference on set.
Old November 30th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: The Judd Offset: What I Didn’t Know I Didn’t Know About OLED Monitors

The trouble is that we're now in a situation where (for a cinematographer) just what is "correct"?

In the early days, it was (at least in theory!) much easier as all aspects of the chain were defined for colorimetry etc. With a vastly greater array of display technologies, that's far more difficult to precisely define nowadays.

But no display should have anything like a definable colour cast per se. It's easy to define a neutral input signal - in the analogue world it was zero subcarrier for PAL/NTSC, in the component world it's where the colour difference signals are null. So feed such a signal into the monitor, and then the relative r,g,b drives of that should be made so that the (greyscale) image looks neutral - simple as that.

Simple as that for monochrome signals at least. Start adding colour into the image and the various colorimetric factors will define how exactly the rendered colour actually matches the real scene - and any R,G,B system can only ever be an approximation to the real (spectral) scene. Hopefully an approximation that is accurate enough for a human eye to perceive as reasonable.

But that's a different matter to an overall colour cast. Feed a greyscale into a monitor and it should look grey, end of story.
David Heath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > DV Info Net Recent Articles