DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC9 Feedback - "Brian Takes a Meeting" - Ronn Kilby (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/101039-dvc9-feedback-brian-takes-meeting-ronn-kilby.html)

Ronn Kilby August 10th, 2007 10:36 AM

DVC9 Feedback - "Brian Takes a Meeting" - Ronn Kilby

Let her rip folks - whatever you think about "Brian Takes a Meeting" by Ronn Kilby.

Got lots to do this week, so had to get mine in early. It was as much fun to do as it looks - and wait til you see the out-takes!

Marco Wagner August 14th, 2007 09:04 PM

Can't wait to see the outtakes. Great short. I kind of had the feeling that he had a video feed going though, maybe the device itself looked advanced, lol...

Daniel Kohl August 15th, 2007 03:29 PM

Very Funny,

Way to improvise. The TeleCon 2000 is very nice. I'm trying to figure out what the thing that looks kind of like a light meter is, on top of the base unit. (I know, I know ... but what is it in real life).

I've got to hand it to you: it takes guts to dance around in your underpants in-front of so many virtual friends and colleagues.

I like the details like your racquetball safety goggles... the humor definitely increases the more often you watch it.

Ronn Kilby August 16th, 2007 07:31 AM

Thanks Daniel. The TeleCon 2000 is made from 5 items, glued together, listed here from bottom to top: BetaSP tape (base), AKG wireless receiver unit, Nikon rear lens cap, AKG 2 channel mini-mixer, diffuser dome from Sekonic light meter.

Daniel Kohl August 16th, 2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby (Post 729834)
BetaSP tape (base), AKG wireless receiver unit, Nikon rear lens cap, AKG 2 channel mini-mixer, diffuser dome from Sekonic light meter.

Rock and Roll! I hope you used hot glue!

Randall Allen August 20th, 2007 11:29 AM

Great film....

Very "Risky Business" feeling. Don't know if it was intentional or not but great take on a great scene.

Randy

Kris Holodak August 20th, 2007 11:40 AM

Actually laughed out loud. Don't let my boss see this or she'll never let me telecommute again. Loved the way he found swing for the fences.

Nice camera work in the opening. Generally good composition over all. Good tight editing. I appreciate the fact that you avoided the temptation to add 20 more seconds of him goofing off just because you could. That would have wrecked it. I think the pacing as it is is just right.

Smile,
Kris

Bruce Foreman August 20th, 2007 12:10 PM

Ronn,

I envy folks like you who not only have the skills I admire but also access to acting talent of the calibre of Brian Minter.

I could not fine one single thing I would dare to suggest improvement on. Lighting, camera work, editing, and the general pace was tremendous.

Having spent half of my military time in the far east and photographed several folks in martial arts disciplines, Brian cracked me up with his samurai "cameo". Facial expressions and posture/posing made that sequence.

I really liked what you did here.

Lisa Shofner August 20th, 2007 01:08 PM

Great short. I like the idea and execution of the story. The timing is great, I think it would have been strange to go on any longer. Just enough to get the idea of what was happening. Sound was great, lighting looked good too.

I can't think of any issues with the film at all. Overall a really good implementation of the theme.

Stacy Dudley August 20th, 2007 05:46 PM

Loved it. Great ending!

Stacy

Dick Mays August 21st, 2007 05:30 AM

Ron,

Great lighting. You have a 25W in the practical on the table? Great music.
It sounded a little llike the good, the bad, and the ugly, western theme in there at one place. Good antics from your actor. He has mad skills. Can fake or play the guitar, juggle, and make that obscene hand gesture real natural like. I call that "good use of self."

Great editing too. Technically beautiful, but I'd kind of liked to have not seen the end coming quite as soon. Maybe he starts off the meeting all serious and reporting numbers, and then gets silly. But we only have three minutes.

I use to work in videoconferencing in the early days, so maybe not everyone saw the end in advance. Our favorite gag would be to all freeze and stop moving at the same time, the other side would think they lost the connection, and then they would say the things they really thought about you behind your back.

Dick

Bruce Broussard August 21st, 2007 08:46 PM

Outstanding job. This was really funny. The ending was pretty easy to see, but thats one thing that made it so funny, you knew he would be found out! Sounds, lights, camera, music; all good job. By the way, how did you know how I behaved during my meetings?

Jonathan Jones August 22nd, 2007 12:52 AM

That was really fun to watch. Brian did a great job with his gestures and expressions. Your selection of music was spot on and matched especially well with the guitar sequence. I really liked the touch of starting with just the sound of the snore behind black screen before fade in. Nice touch.

I just wish my hair looked as good as his when I wake up (as opposed to just stumbling around the house all day in a cloud of eternal bed-head like I normally do.)

Great movie.

-Jon

Mike Teutsch August 25th, 2007 04:43 PM

I enjoyed it very much. Nice pace and great story, and an ending with a twist made it great! Good job Ronn!

Mike

Jesse Steele August 26th, 2007 03:44 PM

Excellent idea! That would work so well as one of those "gotta get away" commercials? i believe it is for some airline?...

loved the samurai scene! as well as the last crude hand gesture he throws out as his boss is thanking him! That is definitely the way i feel when my bosses are thanking me.."from the bottom of their heart!"

Great film! best of luck!

Jesse