DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   dvc9 - The Otherside - Randy Allen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/101219-dvc9-otherside-randy-allen.html)

Randall Allen August 13th, 2007 06:28 AM

dvc9 - The Otherside - Randy Allen

Well here we go.....some things about my entry:

The audio stinks....gota work on that.
Make sure the camera is recording.....lost about 10 minutes of footage.

I had a lot of fun with this. I'll edit in the link here when Dylan posts the films. Thanks for watching.

Randy

Marco Wagner August 14th, 2007 08:50 PM

It was interesting to see the "otherside" of those meetings. What made you compelled to protest the rezoning?

Nice cuts, nice VO work. Great job Randy

Randall Allen August 20th, 2007 12:07 PM

Marco....thanks for the kind words.

I did not want a body shop in my residental neighborhood. The building is already there, and has been used in the past as a general contractor's warehouse. I really don't mind the auto repair shop, I do some shadetree stuff myself. My main concern was zoning a piece of land as Commercial in the middle of, not on the edges of, but in the middle of my residental neighborhood.

If you want to see the full meeting it is at
www.romega.us/Archive.asp?ADID=207

When the video player loads you can select the part of the meeting that you want to view.

Thanks for watching....

Randy

Stacy Dudley August 23rd, 2007 06:11 PM

Interesting. Your neighbors should thank you for saving the neighborhood. I agree with Marco, nice cuts and nice video work.

Stacy

Lorinda Norton August 24th, 2007 01:30 PM

As one who has spent way too much time having to sit through city and county government meetings, my first thought was, "Nooooooooo!" (lol) But...I got intriqued with the twist of you, as security/camera guy, having to leave your post to comment. That was pretty cool. :)

Randall Allen August 24th, 2007 07:09 PM

Stacy and Lorinda:

Thanks for the comments. I cut out a small clip right after the first shot of me at the desk. It showed a closeup of one of the camera's and the VO went something to the effect of "These are my eyes into the room. With these 3 cameras I record everything that happens" but I felt like it made the transition from opening to the meeting feel wrong.

We film the meetings for airing on our local PEG cable channel. The city was nice and spent a boat load of money to install 3 robotic PTZ cameras. I used to stand behind a single GL-2 all night and then cause people to get sick when I fast panned from one end of the desk to the other.:D

I have been hoping to find a way to use the system for a DVC or UWOL. When Dylan announced the theme I was real happy.

Randy

Jonathan Jones August 26th, 2007 07:54 PM

Hey Randy,
I have to say that this was easily one of my favorites. As you noted, probably not a perfect production, but I found the content so compelling, like being invited into another world, into a realm of daily life that we don't know much about, or don't even think about.

I thought your title was excellent, in the sense of both inviting the viewer to the 'other side' of the meetings - behind the cameras, and having you come out from 'anonymity' as you called it to stand in front of the cameras.

You took 30 minutes of footage documenting an important local subject, and deftly cut it down in a way that imparts the message, as well as tells a story about your own life and work.

Very well done.

I loved it.

-Jon

Randall Allen August 29th, 2007 06:05 AM

Jon:

Thank you for the kind words. They do make the process worthwhile. I really had not considered the double meaning of the title, and as much as I would like to take credit for that I can not. I approached this idea mainly as my having to go to the otherside.

I glad you enjoyed it.

Randy