DVC-9 "...in person?" Jesse Steele at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old August 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVC-9 "...in person?" Jesse Steele

This was my first short film and I had a blast working on it! I know the lighting sucked but any feedback from all of you would be awesome!!!

Thanks Jesse
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #2
Contributor

Jesse,

Nicely done. I don't believe that this is your first short film (or are you not including all of the feature length films you've made?).

Your lighting is excellent! I'm wondering if this is due to your not being contaminated by all of the lighting theory a lot of people learn before they get started.

Your lighting is good for the following reasons:

You didn't always attempt to light everything evenly.

You created depth by putting your actors on the front edge or somewhere in the middle of the room space.

And you managed to light complex scenes without double shadows.

The only technical suggestion I can offer you, is you should work on reducing the difference in luminosity between the darker parts (where action is happening) of contrasty scenes and the lighter areas. By doing that, you can light scenes where people who are sitting in the shadows remain visible while the people in the lighter areas won't be over-exposed.

Nice Job

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Trustee

what he said above plus...

Great job. "She's going to look like a banshee" and that shot of the truck driver puckering were classic!
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ya the trucker was actually my dad! He is very shy and wouldnt do it! but with a babe like my leading lady pushing him into it, what guy wouldn't say yes!

and daniel that was actually my first attempt at lighting, But I have read up on the process and I understand the concept? I just don't think I'm very good at it?

Thanks for the kind words!

Jesse
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Steele View Post
This was my first short film and I had a blast working on it! I know the lighting sucked but any feedback from all of you would be awesome!!!

Thanks Jesse
Excellent film to be your first short. BTW, the lighting DID NOT suck. What you tried and did with it was much better than trying to work with ambient lighting that often records far different that what we see.

You seem to be able to "see" what you're doing with lights and that is most of the battle.

I enjoyed your film very much.

Very well done.

Last edited by Bruce Foreman; August 15th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Its a great film....nothing about it "sucked". Thanks for the great fun.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I thought the lighting was fine and set the mood quite nice. I see this as the "true reality" of the ever so popular "You've got mail".

Nicely done.

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #8
Major Player

I made my notes before reading the thread (which is what I do for everybody so that I'm not contaminated by other people's opinions). The first thing I thought was I'm jealous at how good your lighting turned out.

--

Really nice lighting. Good story too. I had been expecting them to be chatting to their roommates and not knowing it, particularly the first time the guy's friend shows up. That would have been predictable and boring. This story felt much "truer" if you know what I mean. The editing was nicely done as well.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Wrangler

The “hairiest trucker named Michelle” was by far my favorite part of the movie—glad your dad got talked into helping.

As everyone else has stated, lighting was awesome. Loved the effects you used for their minds-eye shots. “Perfection” describes that last shot in the diner. Great job.
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

many thanks

thank you everyone for the kind words!
Old August 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Very nice job Jesse! Nice Lighting and story. Keep up the good work.

Mike
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Jesse, you did a great job on the film. I liked the story, the acting, the camera work. All of it came together very well. This is definitely one of my favorites.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #13
Trustee

Wow, I loved this movie. The actors looked great and seemed very natural (other than the fake typing on the couch and the bed).

The dialogue and the pacing was perfect.

What I initially imagined as it got towards the end as that I thought they would both exit their apartments to meet for a date only to find that they live next door or something....but then that would have too cheap. What you did instead was a bit of genius, punctuated by great cut ins of their 'minds eye' view (I think Lorinda termed it that way). Those shots were excellent.

The final shot pulling out from the table with the credit roll was absolutely perfect.

You did a great job.

-Jon
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Everyone nailed all the good points. The ending of this piece was really really strong, and the decisions you made regarding story were great. There were several things I feel would have improved the story - 1) if you had done voice overs instead of them talking out loud... maybe you did it for particular reasons but it seemed bizarre for them to be talking out loud to their computers and I noticed sometimes it didn't match up to the speed of their typing. 2) The dialog between the female friends was a tad expository for me... I know you had details you needed to reveal, but the way the friend was saying them didn't sound supportive at all, it sounded a little patronizing. Those are minor details, I really liked this piece, those are just my thoughts on possible improvements!! Great work
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!