DVC9 - Cat Calls - Lorinda Norton at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old August 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Wrangler

DVC9 - Cat Calls - Lorinda Norton

When faced with no actors and less than 48 hours ‘til the deadline, rather than hang on the WOS I did what any rational (read “desperate”) person would do with a theme like “meeting”—I took my camera to the neighbor’s dairy farm.

A friend of mine watched it and offered, “Of course it stinks! It’s a barnyard!”

:)
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Trustee

My wife had a pet chicken, Henny Penny, and trained the dang thing. I never met the hen, but this reminded my wife of that and she laughed. At least no WOS and you did have some good cuts with the dialog. Good job!
Old August 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Personally my favorite part was whent he dog snagged the bowl. Good wrangling.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #4
Contributor

Animals, and Kids are the two hardest things to film in a narrative type production. Considering that you had no time for the animatronics, I'd say you damn good job of telling a story.

I admire humor and resourcefulness. You get gold stars in both of those categories... And you avoided using any foul language in your spot ... sorry I couldn't resist.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

LOL....great choice of actors. Worked out well I think.

Thanks for staying off the wall.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Wrangler

I’m going to write a bit now, only because I’m headed off to the end of the world (Wyoming) to help Brad Marlow shoot a wedding and might not get to see today’s and tomorrow’s films until late Saturday night. I know everyone will miss the feedback on their movies. ;)

Thanks, fellas, for the early remarks. I laughed out loud at yours, Daniel. It was like, “Anima-what???” ;)

Seriously, I do appreciate the kind comments. So far, this little movie has only been a hit with the over 60 crowd. One of my friends cut me to the heart by telling me it’s the best one I’ve done yet. Ouch!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Lorinda, you do come up with some unique ideas on some of these. You did pretty good getting dialog to match critters movements, or you shot enough barnyard "talent" to be able to match them to dialog.

Or you paid your acting talent "union" scale (hmmn...For the right price maybe I'd put on feathers and learn to cluck).

The above is a very "smartass" way of saying I like what you did and the way you did it. Pulled it off very well.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM   #8
Wrangler

Lorinda:

Couldn't find your film in Dylan's listings--maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Just wanted to let you know that I tried again to use your hand-me-down 1980's era video camera on another film project where we were doing flashbacks; we went so far as to actually shoot the scene with the camera but also covered ourselves by shooting it again with the Varicam that we used for the rest of the film. Although everyone loved the "awfulness" of the old camera, it was too radical and jarring to cut against the Varicam HD footage for the quick shots that it was in use. Well, we're getting closer! One day this will be just the thing.

I'm still planning a trick film for Youtube that will masquerade as home movie footage from the 80's and eventually reveal itself to be current day...hopefully soon I'll get around to making it.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Major Player

[QUOTE=Charles Papert;733346]Lorinda:

Couldn't find your film in Dylan's listings--maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
QUOTE]

Charles,

You can see Lorinda's film here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0CLpVEjxps

Lorinda,

I bet this was fun to do, dubbng the voices over the animals. It reminds me of that TV show with the monkeys, where one monkey was a spy, and dressed in a trenchcoat. Talking animal's funny stuff.

When I heard the line, "what a bunch of pigs," I half expected to see a PIG talking this way about the chickens.

When I lived in the country (a long time ago) we had chickens, named Dee and Lloyd. A fox got Dee, so we got another chicken and named her Dee Two. Then the fox got Lloyd. We got a replacement for Lloyd but named it R2, so now we had R2 and D2. Then R2 disappeared, and D2 was left alone. Dee 2 made it several years by sleeping on the front porch swing, instead of hanging around the chicken coop. But eventually, the fox got D2 too.

Then a mean neighbor shot the fox. I really liked the fox even though he got my chickens. Only saw the fox twice. I was thinking of that fox when I watched Bruce's bobcat video.
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

This was neat, and fun to watch. The voice over(s) fits perfect. I liked the "nag, nag, nag".

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Major Player

That was really funny. Felt like you got the personality right for all of them. "Nag, nag, nag" And that's so what a cat would call a meeting about too. As a quickie, stay off the wall of shame short it was great.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #12
Wrangler

Bruce, I can’t remember which came first—“the chicken or the egg.” ;) I did shoot quite a bit of footage and the story did change because Bruno (the dog) was supposed to rush in like he usually does and break up the meeting. He got really camera shy.

Hi Charles! Of all the short movies I’ve done this would be the last one I’d want you seeing, so I hope you didn’t follow the link Dick so kindly provided. I smile every time I think about you wielding that old camera setup, and I agree with you that its day is coming. I hope you get the trick film done—would love to see it! Thank you so much for stopping in to say hi.

Dick, Stacy and Kris—thanks for taking time to comment! Dee and Lloyd, R2 and D2…great names. :) We did have a little fun in the recording studio, only because my friend Rich thinks like a chicken. The other two friends just happened to show up so we kind of pressed them into helping.

I knew a voiceover ala Funniest Home Videos wouldn’t play well with a filmmaker crowd, but I don’t do animatronics, and wouldn’t even if I’d had time. Even though it’s an embarrassment here, there’s some consolation in knowing that older people seem to think it’s funny—after the third or fourth viewing. When I tell them it bombs with everyone else they remark that young folks don’t know what’s really funny anymore. LOL! Maybe I should do seniors videos. Is there a niche for that? :)
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Lorinda, I suppose if the contest was for the "silliest" film, we would both be right up there at the top. It just goes to show you, if you think long enough you can make a film about anything, a cat talking in a barnyard or a jogger hitting wall! Good job.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Lorinda, I suppose if the contest was for the "silliest" film, we would both be right up there at the top. It just goes to show you, if you think long enough you can make a film about anything, a cat talking in a barnyard or a jogger hitting wall! Good job.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #15
Major Player

That was pretty funny. Nice to see 'Benji' is still working.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!