DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC9 - Feng Shui - Dick Mays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/101386-dvc9-feng-shui-dick-mays.html)

Dick Mays August 15th, 2007 09:11 AM

DVC9 - Feng Shui - Dick Mays

Okay. Back in after missing a few DV Challenges. I work with actors taking acting classes for film, so my shorts tend to be character oriented. We got together Friday night, brainstormed the script, shot it Saturday, Edited it Sunday, and had a week to add music, and tweak it a bit.

Apparently it should have be "theDVChallenge.com" instead of "dvchallenge.com," but other than that mistake, I'm happy with it.

Fire away with Likes, and Suggestions for improvements.

Lorinda Norton August 15th, 2007 09:34 AM

Hi Dick,

I’m trying to be a good girl and not watch any of the movies until Dylan “presents” them, but I just wanted to tell you how much you’ve been missed. It’s good to have you back. :)

Dick Mays August 15th, 2007 09:53 AM

Lorinda,

It's great to be back. Thanks for the well wishes.

Okay, okay, I will hold off on comments until Dylan makes his official presentation, but I like being able to see all the films at once.

Dick

Ronn Kilby August 16th, 2007 07:26 AM

Love the wardrobe - saved a lot of money there.

Dick Mays August 18th, 2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby (Post 729831)
Love the wardrobe - saved a lot of money there.

Hey! You're just looking at the thumbnail!
(Youtube did a great job selecting a frame with high veiwer interest.)

Randall Allen August 20th, 2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Mays (Post 730732)
Hey! You're just looking at the thumbnail!
(Youtube did a great job selecting a frame with high veiwer interest.)

No...I have looked at the toenail!:D This is a cool film.

Thanks

Randy

Lisa Shofner August 21st, 2007 11:22 AM

Great film. I was worried that it wasn't work safe, but it turned out alright (headphones are good too). Lighting and acting and angles were great. I couldn't really hear the husband at the end, still not sure what he said - but everyone else was good sound and easy to hear.

Great job overall.

Lorinda Norton August 21st, 2007 01:47 PM

The concept for this movie is simply hysterical—two crazy neighbors breaking in on the new folks and moving stuff around. I love the line about the glass, “Uh oh, look at this…..Get a load o’ the ridge on that sucker.” Hahah! Good taste isn’t something you’d expect from a guy like that, nor a guy who dresses like Mr. Tartan does.

Unfortunately, a few lines were lost on me—in particular, the one Lisa mentioned. It was tough for me, also, to watch the husband being such a wimp. I hate watching a guy who’s whipped. That gal would be feng shuiing with those other two on their property, with all her stuff out on their lawn if it was up to me.

With the exception of some interesting audio issues, technically, I think this is the best I’ve watched so far. Images, angles—all that stuff looks great. LOVE your lighting.

All in all, this is a really good movie, Dick. Yours are always interesting; I find the time flying by when I watch, which has to be a good thing! :)

Daniel Kohl August 21st, 2007 03:31 PM

I love the scottish accent.

What did the husband ask?

Kris Holodak August 21st, 2007 06:06 PM

Very nice camera moves. Good lighting and composition. Spotty audio, as has been noted. There several lines that I missed, not just the husband at the end. My one outstanding question: How did the neighbors go all through the house and not see the trail of clothes leading to the bedroom?

Smile,
Kris

Dick Mays August 21st, 2007 06:51 PM

Audio

Well, the whole gimmick was going to be that everything the Irish guy said was not understandable, and then we would have subtitles underneath, but too much of his dialog WAS understandable and then the subtitles seemed not as funny, so we went with the dialog the way it was.

The ending dialog had to be looped, as one microphone fell into the pool, and I thought my beachtek adapter was in the stero position and I was still getting good audio on one channel, bt the switch was in mono (thanks to my fiv eyar old playing with the camera the day before), and the noise was on both channels. If I turned the vovlume up oud enough for the looped dialog to be understood, then the ambience did not mix, and it was too jarring. The guy is from Switzerland and has a fairly strong accent, so I decided it wasn't all that important to the story to know what he said, and just tried to make it sound natural.

What he saids in the last two lines are something like:

I still like the sofa in front of the television.

and...

Tonight -- it's my turn.

The ending isn't as strong as the rest of the piece, but endings are a bitch.

Dick

Dick Mays August 21st, 2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris Holodak (Post 732203)
My one outstanding question: How did the neighbors go all through the house and not see the trail of clothes leading to the bedroom?

The clothes are in the hallway and it is possible to enter the kitchen and the living room without seeing the clothes, although it might not be apparent from the way the film was shot.

Dick Mays August 21st, 2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 732085)
All in all, this is a really good movie, Dick. Yours are always interesting; I find the time flying by when I watch, which has to be a good thing! :)

Lorinda,

Thanks for the kind comments. We'll just keep shooting them until it all comes together.

Dick

Stacy Dudley August 21st, 2007 08:26 PM

This one looked like a lot of fun to make! I really like the "wife's" name (Stacey). :) The quality looks so good it makes me realize how much I have yet to learn.

Stacy

Marco Wagner August 21st, 2007 08:44 PM

Love it, especially when they start decorating, lol!!!