DVC9 – “Getting Lucky” – Mike Teutsch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DVC9 – “Getting Lucky” – Mike Teutsch

Hi gang! Well I got another one done; I had to after missing the last one!

I had much bigger and bigger plans for this one, but alas you know how the “best laid plans” turn out.

It was getting close to the end and I had no good idea that I could get done. My help was in California shooting sharks and I was getting depressed. Then I’m lying on the couch at about midnight on the Thursday before and I get an idea that I might be able to do. I get dressed again and run to a little cigar bar where I know the owner. She’s there and we are a go, but we have to film on late Saturday night, because of prior commitments.

My friend Ralph and I were up at 6:00am Saturday morning and down in West Palm Beach at G-Star studio for actors auditions for an upcoming feature film. We get back at about 6:00pm and show up at the bar at 1:15 in the morning on Saturday night. The place is packed and she is reluctant to kick them all out, so we end up waiting. They are supposed to close at two, but they often stretch the law a little and stay open later, with the signs turned off. We finally get to start at about 2:30 in the morning. We are very tired.

Mary Dawn, who stars in this movie, arranged to have the extras, the guys at the bar, for the filming. What she didn’t tell us is that she picked guys who had been there since five in the afternoon and we drunk! Two were “really” drunk!!! Toward the end, we had to kick them all out of the bar so that we could finish up and get done without a lot of weird things going on in the background. Let’s just say that Dylan’s film had very mild language in comparison!!!!

We finally finish up and I got home about 4:45 am on Sunday. I get a couple of hours rest and then shoot the parts with Sadie at about noon Sunday. She is the best actor of the bunch and the easiest to work with! I get it edited and on line, but my YouTube version sure sucks. New software on the way! That was the last straw and Premiere CS3 is in the mail, as it has much better encoders and even a YouTube encoder.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy it. There were a lot of shots that I wanted to get, but the drunken crew ended that thought!!!!! It was still fun. Sorry to be so long winded but it was a good story.

Mike
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Well, Mike.

I enjoyed it. I thought the camera work was very good, and the actors carried it off well. Fortunately the guys sitting at the bar didn't have to do much so "drunk" could work.

Neat twist to the ending.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Mike.
I've just seen your "Getting Lucky" and I think it was great.
Mary Dawn did a wondeful job acting and so have you in the editing pros.
The ending was unexpected and worked just fine, it made me laugh.
Dreams can be great, untill you wake up :)
Nice colors and great choice of music.

Best whises
Geir Inge
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Great short. I was definately thrown off until the end, though I was thinking he was meeting a dog in the parking lot. Hahaha.

I liked the different angles and the opening shot was nice.

Very cute pup too.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I love a good dog flick

Loved the fan on her hair as she walks in. The lighting and ambiance was good. Would have liked to hear their dialog in the bar a little better, though in hindsight it doesn't so much matter what she says even when you're supposed to be hearing her. The music and mood were perfect.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Holodak View Post
Loved the fan on her hair as she walks in. The lighting and ambiance was good. Would have liked to hear their dialog in the bar a little better, though in hindsight it doesn't so much matter what she says even when you're supposed to be hearing her. The music and mood were perfect.

Smile,
Kris
Thanks Kris. The fan I used was one of those little three speed black and decker that just have a small rectangular opening. It was easy to keep it positioned. But, we still did about 8 takes!

I would have liked better sound too, and had a lot of gear there, but had to settle for the on camera mike with all of the weird things going on. No body else was sober enough to hold a mike!

Thanks---Mike
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Trustee

A fun piece with a clever twist at the end. The timing on everything from they way she walks in, all the heads turning, sauntering by everyone down the line....exceptionally well timed and played out perfectly with your excellent choice of music.

As far as the use of color and lighting the way you did, I have to say that this may certainly be the most beautifully vibrant imagery I've seen in the DVC. It really looked great.

And extra points to you for doing such a great job in such a short amount of time and after a long stretch of no sleep.

Well done.

-Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Jones; August 22nd, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree with Jonathan on the color and lighting. Makes me want to pack up my equipment and find another hobby.

Enjoyed this very much.

Stacy
Stacy Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Wrangler

Hahaha! Mike and Sadie ride again!!! Oh Mike, that was just too much. :)

Even though I know that Sadie is one of your favorite “actresses,” believe it or not, I kept wondering, “Why is that woman making all those dog noises? And why can’t Mike say anything but ‘yes?’” You got me, ya big goof.

This was wonderful, and as others have pointed out, technically beautiful, too. Great job!
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Mike,

Great little story. People have mentioned my favorite parts, the heads turning in sync, the lighting, the surprise ending. One add. I would have loved to see your actress give you a big long lick on the cheek.

Makes me wonder about all those nights in my youth. Were they really just dreams?

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Dick, Lorinda, Stacy, Jonathan and all,

Thanks for the kind words you all! I do appreciate them very much!

I'm glad you all like the lighting, as it was one of the hardest parts. The place is so small and narrow, about 18 feet total width and only about 8 feet between the bar and the wall, and with mirrors all over. Hard to light anything and not have it show up in a mirror. We just did the best we could.

Lorinda, you know how much I love my little Sadie, she is just such a sweetheart. She is anxious to give you a few of those kisses very soon.

Stacy, don't you dare pack anything up! You are great and I loved you movie too! Keep going man. I have used two shower scenes in my movies too. Dylan has his shower scenes too! Hum, If I could have gotten Mary Dawn to do one------OK stop dreaming again Mike! :)

Dick, no long lick on my cheek, but there was supposed to be one shot near the end where she was giving me a bunch of little kisses on my cheeks and that was going to be the cut to my bedroom. In all of the confusion and trouble in dealing with the drunks we totally forgot to shoot it. The one who was the drunkest apologized to me when I brought them down some DVD's of the movie and I just said, "no problem." :)

Jonathan, I'm glad you liked the editing and flow, I might have changed a thing or two now that I can see the screen but it worked well. Funny on the music; I have several music libraries and when through them all and put about 20 to 30 songs into the project. But, the last one I found, after hours of looking was the right one. Once I dropped it into the timeline, I deleted the rest without even trying them. I had to extend the beginning a little, but it came out "almost" flawless.

Thank you all----Mike
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike:

This was a blast to watch. Thanks
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Trustee

Mike,

I love the old "great dream turns out to be a dog or pillow" shorts, LOL. Nice production. I love the how all the guys were spaced and seemed to move in a good sequence when she walks in. Was there a shadow or something on the left toward the end?

I can totally relate to working with drunk extras/actors, aka 80% of my crew, lol... You almost have to be a parent, only sometimes with a marker, and a few good words for them to see in the mirror in the morning :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!