DVC10 Josh Chesarek "Instant Message" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Major Player

DVC10 Josh Chesarek "Instant Message"

I am not sure how the feed back thing works so I am following by example... I think... any ways!

I knew sooner or later I would try for one of these things but I never seem to be able to find the time between work and school and bla bla bla bla.... BUT I found it! At strange hours of the day and night but either way I was able to pull something together that resembles a short film done by just 2 people (3 if you count a flying cat). It was a lot of fun and cannot wait for the next event :) Feedback is very appreciated. The main thing I was trying to lean in this was how to film in low light. The thing I find most frustrating is that every screen I watch it on it looks different, sure, I can modify the screen settings on each monitor but how do the pros do it so everyone can still see what is going on without having to tweak their TVs?

| About |
Instant message was filmed over the course of a few days totaling about 20 minutes of tape. It was done with only 2 crew members (also doubling actors). A Canon XH-A1 was used for filming along with Sennheiser audio equipment. Lighting was done on the cheap using household lighting. A glidecam 2000 was also thrown in for fun.

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; October 29th, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Wow, Josh….darn good movie.

When you said something about a flying cat I thought I might have to call the ASPCA on you, (j/k) but that wasn’t bad at all. Her exclamation made me wince, but that’s just me.

I liked the music, the pacing, the camera work, the story. I thought the lighting worked. It could have been shaped just a bit more on the guy outside and on the kitchen scenes, but I’m so terrible at it I feel funny saying anything. Maybe someone else can answer your questions about that.

What did the killer do with the phone? Just turn it off?
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

ok, the flying cat was pretty funny...it kind of took me out of the story a bit, though, because i found myself wondering, "who threw the cat?"

good story, just right for this amount of space. the plot twist worked perfectly.

i'm keeping one eye looking behind me as i type this....

of course, probably some gory hand will reach out from my computer screen and choke me to death. i've been watching too many of these things!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Josh,

I thought this was pretty scary. But she died really fast after getting the info that her boyfriend/husband wasn't the person she was IMing. My slow mind didn't finish processing this before she was dead on the floor.

Good scary audio too.

The dark lighting worked for me. I loved the lilghting by the fridge.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Wow, Josh….darn good movie.

When you said something about a flying cat I thought I might have to call the ASPCA on you, (j/k) but that wasn’t bad at all. Her exclamation made me wince, but that’s just me.

I liked the music, the pacing, the camera work, the story. I thought the lighting worked. It could have been shaped just a bit more on the guy outside and on the kitchen scenes, but I’m so terrible at it I feel funny saying anything. Maybe someone else can answer your questions about that.

What did the killer do with the phone? Just turn it off?
Haha, thanks. Yeah, he just hung up on the boyfriend. I was going to try and do a little more showing the cell phone screen showing a disconnected but that particular phone I was using does not work anymore and I did not want to use another sidekick so I left it out. Plus trying to work the camera and hold the cell phone in a way that would make sense isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I was also really close to adding in a "persephone973" has signed off at the end but I ran out of time / forgot.

I also felt cramped for time just like everyone else :). I wanted to try and get a story in there and "explain" a death. So by the time I was done with the story well... I had to kill her quick :p
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Wrangler

oh, i thought he was taking her picture, with a camera phone maybe, but that it got lost in the execution...it might have been a good idea, though...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Ahhh... that would have been a another nice ending... sending pictures of his girlfriend bleeding out.... oh.... evil.... next time :)

For anyone interested a little extra back story, HD Version, and pictures can be found @

http://www.simplethoughtproductions....stant-message/
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Josh!

This was a good film.

I liked your dark lighting to establish mood. Must admit that I was laughing at the flying cat, like Lorinda and Meryem but it was ok.

Loved the fridge scene!

Jenny did a nice job with her acting too.

The music by Bjorn worked very well in your film.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Trustee

Hey I love flying cats! One word -trillian rocks! ok that's two. Wonderful concept and sweet looking blood. I really liked this film.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for the feed back guys :) The more I get the more I want to make another short. Getting feed back from others with similar passions is great. Where is DVC11 and why did I wait so long to join in?!?!?

Bradley: The cat was a toss up (no pun intended), we figured either it would startle people or make em laugh ( I fought so hard to not let my self turn this into a comedy) Personally each time I watch it I laugh my butt off and can now see how this could distract people from the "scary" bits to come if they hang on it too long which is likely as they are fairly close together.

Marco: Blood was pretty easy, Corn Syrup mixed with a little red and blue food coloring. Be sure to clean as you go as that stuff likes to stick to what ever it is on.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Blood Recipe

Hi Josh (and Marco),

I liked the look of the blood you had in your film too, Josh.

Here is a recipe I came across a while back. The chocolate powder really helps. Also, if you need brain matter, add chunks of peanut butter and stir it up a bit.

Give it a try next time you plan a massacre!

Recipe # 3 Great Looking Blood

2/3 c. Corn Syrup

1/3 c. Warm Water

5 Tbsp Corn Starch

4 tsp red food coloring

1 Tbsp Powdered Cocoa

2 drops of green or yellow food coloring

Mix the corn starch & water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the corn syrup. Add the food coloring slowly, checking for color.
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Decent film. The first one to sort of scare me.

A couple of things that I think would have made it stronger.

1. The instant messaging portion before she gets the call is a little long and drawn out.
2. After her husband says he left the laptop at home, cut to her expression, then we hear a light switch and the lights go out to black. Leave the rest to our imaginations.

Just my two cents... Nice job on the story.

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:35 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for the blood recipe I will have to give the peanut butter a try...

I also thought it might be a little darn out (length of IM) but I wasn't sure how else to get a story in there with this particular situation.

Thank you for the feed back guys, please keep it coming :)
Old November 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Great short Josh! The cat was a great element, it actually made me jump a bit.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM   #15
Trustee

Being on the tail end of feedback threads does not leave much option for comment. But you did one heck of a job. Although I foreshadowed the ending, the film was still scary. Good job.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!