DVC 10 - "Zombie Love" - by Meryem Ersoz - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old October 30th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #16
Wrangler

the film projector was meant to be suggestive of film rolling--like when my dad used to project Super 8 flicks on a sheet in our backyard....it was intended to be subtly nostalgic.

if i had run a continuous loop of that theremin fragment, you would have lost your mind! it was not easy to find free, royalty-free theremin music. that loop was very short. i also was using it to patch the audio differences between the opening sequence and the graveyard, um--somebody forgot the wireless mic kit, so we had to use the shotgun to capture the dialogue and that introduced a lot of unanticipated ambient noise. i had to do a lot of audio patching to keep it somewhat consistent. shame on that careless person....(me...).

i did try to create a sound morph between the retro theremin sound motif and the "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" theremin, but it didn't work, the tones could be equalized, but the quality of the music was just too different.

the girl zombie was not the same person as the victim. it was her older sister. they are such different people in every other way, that it didn't even occur to me that they look alike and could be mistaken for each other.

thanks, daniel, for the feedback! it's always interesting to see what other people see in something that becomes too familiar through the editing process...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #17
Trustee

That is some great zombie stuff there Meryem. The b&w, the graveyard, the girl -the fall -classic. I enjoyed it. I would've like to hear the girl scream but it still came out great. :-)
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #18
Major Player

This one is good work, the BW is a good choice. The zombies look pretty convincing giving the right feel. As Marco mentioned, the girl screaming would probably add to the setting.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #19
Wrangler

dammit, i forgot the scream! you are so right, marco! that easily qualifies as the best piece of feedback yet!! how could i have overlooked such a crucial bit of archetypal zombie-ism? back to the NLE!
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #20
Trustee

Well hit us with a link if you do that, lol I want to see that.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:52 PM   #21
Trustee

Sorry Meryem, I've tried to watch your video but some how my computer wont download it, (it's anew PC so I'm not sure if I have the right prg installed). Just wanted to be scared in my night time lunch break :)
Zombie love sounds like fun though, do you have a youtube version of it?

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM   #22
Wrangler

Hi Geir, thanks for trying to watch my little Halloween tribute. It's not downloadable...it's an .swf file (Shockwave) in an .swf wrapper. Should play on both platforms. I don't have a youtube version, mostly because putting this together left me with no time. I am panicking on a Monday deadline now, because I went into the DV Challenge rabbit hole last week!

So if I am so worried, why am even I reading this thread, hmmm???
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:06 PM   #23
Trustee

Cat meet curiosity ;=)
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #24
Trustee

I managed to watch your "Zombie Love", Meryem.
it was my new computer (job computer) didn't have the right program installed.

Your short is great and I think black and white suit very well to your story.
Also you have some great shots down low from the ground, clever done, and some great angles and with pan and tilt.
I expected a scream (Alfred Hitchcock style) and maybe the girl should run for just a few more seconds with heavy breathing?
Just a thought though :)
The cutaways with squirrel and the pigeons was neath.
I always try to listen to the sound when I look at shorts, cause I think it's half of the movie. You have a great soundtrack, and that spooky tune (from a saw playing?) is great, but as I said; maybe a scream and some heavy breathing from the girl as she try to run away.

Sorry, I forgot to mention editing and storyline (shame on me), but as always; You have great skills in both, so I wish you all the best and good luck in DVC, Meryem.

Geir Inge
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #25
Wrangler

that missing scream is dogging me!! i gotta get on that for the extended version.

there's a bunch of stuff i would have done differently, if i had budgeted more time, but the one thing that came out of this little exercise was the experience of working with an actual cast. i never do that. i mean, i work with a lot of corporate clients and have shot some pretty big events with thousands of participants, but actually assembling the gang into some kind of (very loosely!) pre-conceived story line was more fun than i expected. guess i am learning not to be such a lone wolf/control freak on my own pet projects, thanks DV Challenge.

and thanks, geir, you are transforming into such an amazing creative force...i value your feedback--and the fact that you went out of your way to watch my little monster flick.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!