DVC10 - The Knock-Knock Freak - Mugurel Dragusin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 29th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC10 - The Knock-Knock Freak - Mugurel Dragusin

Well, let it all out in this thread and blame me for stealing a few minutes off your time/life/boredom/etc but don't forget to mention your likes and dislikes about my entry, it will certainly help in the future :)

I shall provide more details after it's going to be published as don't want to influence the viewing.
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin View Post
Well, let it all out in this thread and blame me for stealing a few minutes off your time/life/boredom/etc but don't forget to mention your likes and dislikes about my entry, it will certainly help in the future :)
Mugurel,

I won't be able to view these until tonight, but I will use the term I was taught to use in acting class, "Likes and Adds." Tell what you Like about what you see, and then what you can Add next time to make it better. Dislikes serve no purpose!

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Love the character

Mugurel - I was not at any time scared - But I was intrigued by the character. I think you should expand/persue this idea to its fullest, perhaps with some backstory. It may take more than 3 minutes to do so.
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Wrangler

ok, i loved the mood, loved the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the opening with a single match and the title was great, in a very minimalist way. i loved the look--the yellows are very suggestive and set a pretty eerie, creepy tone.

but what the heck was the story?

i couldn't read the writing on the pad, which might have explained a few things. maybe that was youtube's fault...? or maybe i'm looking for meaning where there isn't supposed to be any, just mood and suggestion?

waiting on that explanation! bring it!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the feedback so far, Meryem let's see what others make of this entry so I can correctly understand if my message goes across :)
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Wrangler

i'm not sure which is the more suspenseful, mugurel, your entry or your feedback thread, heh!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Mugurel!

Great to "see" you again!

Interesting film you have here. The match stick, the opening angle on the door knob...I really liked these shots in your short.
Great music too. It really helped to add that certain feeling of strangeness.

The opening, to me, suggested a possible misunderstanding of a special group of people. So I think I found myself expecting a revenge type scenario. I believe in the end you were showing that, albeit in a very subtle way. How pleased he seemed to be.

Am I on the right track?
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hmm….I’ve been thinking on this one ‘til my pea brain hurts. Trying to figure out what this character’s unusual powers are is driving me a bit bonkers, so I guess I’ll give up and wait for you to throw us a bone.

The slow-motion match burning is cooler than cool, Mugurel. You win the prize for best opening shot, in my opinion. :)
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Trustee

That was freaky, no pun intended. The opening was great -nice work. Lil lost on the story too.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
The slow-motion match burning is cooler than cool, Mugurel. You win the prize for best opening shot, in my opinion. :)
As Bradley said, the door knob shot was great too. You had us at HELLO! But then you lost us Mugurel!

In a way this is the scariest entry of all, because I was scared to admit I didn't get it!
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Good work in many ways, as said above.
Not scary, though I think I get the plot... there just isn't that much of it-- unless I'm missing something, which I really don't feel like I am.

Color correction was good, but the whites were too blown out. Writing on the pad was too hard to read, and the paper pads in general looked weird. His shirt and the highlight on the door also looked some some strange "solarize" filter, etc. Careful with that. Colors and contrast were good, but keeping a minimal level of detail in those areas would not have hurt.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:15 AM   #12
Major Player

Ok, here it is

The freak, is able to create events from a distance, in this case knocking at a door. In the beginning it shows how he is troubled, trying to make his experiment a success and suddenly it happened, to the point that even he gets scared; and writes it down in his log (all the notebooks on the table were supposedly filled up already).

Then he decided to do it very clearly and conscientiously, by knocking and making the sound to be at the door; to which he shows a freaky satisfaction such "I did it, it works".

Daniel Ross - the current look is the intended look, the original footage is neither overexposed/underexposed.

Lorinda - Glad you liked the match.

Hope it's more clear now and ... more freaky :) Now, watch it again and see it through this story's "eyes".
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:31 AM   #13
Major Player

I assumed that the original footage wasn't blown out; the look is ok, but having no contrast there makes it look like it's displaying incorrectly, not like a style. Even the slightest bit of detail there would clear that up. Again, it isn't that it doesn't feel right, but that it just looks like my monitor is having issues.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 05:48 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ross View Post
I assumed that the original footage wasn't blown out; the look is ok, but having no contrast there makes it look like it's displaying incorrectly, not like a style. Even the slightest bit of detail there would clear that up. Again, it isn't that it doesn't feel right, but that it just looks like my monitor is having issues.
What you see it's right so I don't think there is any problem with your monitor (smash it a bit though and see if anything changes) :) Just felt the right thing to do though, tried blues, even black and white, normal contrast and this felt the most ok for the mood. Many thanks for the feedback!
Old November 1st, 2007, 06:32 AM   #15
Major Player

I realize it was intentional, especially now that you have said it, and that nothing is wrong with the monitor; however, having that simply makes it LOOK like there is something wrong. Hey, it's your art, so do what you want, but I just was a bit thrown off by the absolute white.
Daniel Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!