DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC 11 Twas the Light Before Christmas Jim Montgomery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/110445-dvc-11-twas-light-before-christmas-jim-montgomery.html)

Jim Montgomery December 17th, 2007 01:08 PM

DVC 11 Twas the Light Before Christmas Jim Montgomery

This one gave me the opportunity to play with a bunch of new toys. Had a ball and was really glad to see my brother Jim and my baby brother Jim once again.

Hope you all enjoy.
\
Jim

Lorinda Norton December 17th, 2007 01:16 PM

I have one question for you, Jim. Is that your house??? Good heavens, it looks like a 5-star hotel lobby! :)

Because I don’t do special effects I always marvel at what you guys can achieve; that scene at the end was very cool, as was the star-shaped security beam.

Thanks for a relaxing Christmas tour. This was fun to watch.

Chris Barcellos December 17th, 2007 01:38 PM

What fun it is to get together with you brothers....:) So, what did you use to get them there..... AE ?

Fun Film...

Kris Holodak December 17th, 2007 02:02 PM

Nice smooth camera moves. The very first DVC I signed up for was expressly to give myself a reason to practice my camera moves. The resulting raw footage left me slightly sea sick. So I'm always impressed by people who can do that well. Good work.

Jim Montgomery December 17th, 2007 02:16 PM

Lorinda - Yea thats mine, but its for sell if your interested! We take special pride in Christmas decorations, have a 12 x 20 warehouse just to hold them all.

Chris - Actually that ending shot was pretty easy. It is just a split screen, keep moving around, cut a stack the footage in the timelines until you get the timing right, and oh yea DON'T let the camera/lights move.

Glad you all liked it.

Chris Barcellos December 17th, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 794248)
Chris - Actually that ending shot was pretty easy. It is just a split screen, keep moving around, cut a stack the footage in the timelines until you get the timing right, and oh yea DON'T let the camera/lights move.

Glad you all liked it.

Hmmm. I'll have to rewatch. Seems like I saw a hand cross in front of the Jim on the right side of screen. I did a shot like this about two months ago, but didn't have anything crossing in front of another me.....

Hugh DiMauro December 17th, 2007 10:24 PM

Your images and lighting were very good. What camera and lighting equipment did you use? Also, I agree with Lorinda in that I bet your house is the most fun to be during the holidays. Although this wasn't a classic narrative piece, you really showed your stuff when it comes to special effects, lighting and camera work.

Jim Montgomery December 18th, 2007 07:40 AM

Hugh

The piece was shot with the Sony EX using Ari Lights shot in 1080p24. While most of the footage was shot using available light (testing the EX) a 150 watt ari was used to bring out some more detail in the animated characters. The dolly was a four wheeled heavy furniture cart.

"Not a typical narrative piece" to say the least. My biggest weakness is in developing a story, something I am trying to get a better handle on. I may soon have to admit, at least to myself, that I can't do it all and stick with the technical side of production and leave the creativity to those with left brains, or is it right?

Thanks for tanking the time to watch and comment.

Jim

Dick Mays December 18th, 2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery (Post 794617)
Hugh

The piece was shot with the Sony EX using Ari Lights shot in 1080p24. While most of the footage was shot using available light (testing the EX) a 150 watt ari was used to bring out some more detail in the animated characters. The dolly was a four wheeled heavy furniture cart.

"Not a typical narrative piece" to say the least. My biggest weakness is in developing a story, something I am trying to get a better handle on. I may soon have to admit, at least to myself, that I can't do it all and stick with the technical side of production and leave the creativity to those with left brains, or is it right?

Thanks for tanking the time to watch and comment.

Jim

Jim,

You have the new CineAlta Sony EX???? Santa has been very good to you. I lust for this camera. How feasible do you think it would be to shoot a Feature Film with the EX? I want to shoot a full length movie next year, so...

You do have interesting toys. Were those bears or groundhogs coming out of the logs? The scene with your three brothers was nice. Reminded me of Michael Keaton in Multiplicity. Also cute puppy on the couch.

You could have stronger "story" elements, but you already know that. i think creative is the right side of the brain. At least that is the side that hurts every time I try to come up with interesting things to say on a date...

Dick

Jim Montgomery December 18th, 2007 06:29 PM

Do I think you can shoot a feature...... Well I will let you know in about two weeks. I am trying to get permission to use a script, I think I will leave the writing to writers, for a 5 minute short. Should be a 3 day shoot, with a couple of days in post.

When done I will post it here and probably You tube.

You can also try "Haven't I seen you here before?

Jim

Bradley L Marlow December 24th, 2007 01:51 PM

Hi Jim!

Hello Jim and Jim and Jim and Jim!

Quite the Christmas Paradise you have there. I had flashbacks to my childhood and my grandparents home in Montana. It was decorated to the max as well. Fond memories indeed.

You had some nice camera moves in there. I'll bet it was fun to shoot this.

I liked the delivery of the line, "Oh man! I really love that thing!". Cracked me up. Can you tell me more about how you created the laser star pattern? Nice.

PS: Better change the alarm code from 6 * 0 * 0 * 4 to something new. Especially now that millions of you-tubers, some with undoubtedly sketchy backgrounds, have access to Jim's Christmas Paradise. :)

Happy Holidays!