DVC11 - Ponderer's Room - Peter Silk at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #1
New Boot

DVC11 - Ponderer's Room - Peter Silk

Hi guys,
I know my entry may seem a bit random for the theme but instead of going for Christmas (although some of the Christmas entry's i've seen are really clever) - i decided to take light as the process of life so my film goes through life process (highly summarized though :P) in reverse - i tried to make it more obvious by putting in light objects - candle, lights at the end of the film but i'm pretty sure it came across slightly subtle - hence my ending quote lol. Anyway it was fun to make and i look forward to entering more competitions - all feedback welcomed, thanks.
Peter Silk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey Peter. Very cool imagery, great use of monochrome, acceleration of the frame speed and great job of editing. The film is very "edgy" in my mind, meaning that it pushes the envelope in terms of the film making process. Wish I had that imagination. I have to admit that I will have to run it a couple of more times to get the message out of it, but maybe that the point.
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Very arty and cool. There was a lot of style to your entry and with short films that often works very well. I'm glad you decided to join us.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi Peter,

You spoke of your movie maybe seeming a bit random. One of the things that bothers me about getting old is that my mind is turning more concrete (okay, okay…dense). Now that you’ve explained your film I would love to be able to say, “Oh, I get it!” --but I would be lying!

I agree with Kris and Chris in saying that it looked great from a technical standpoint. You really know how to create interesting images. I was especially intrigued with the scene where the Bible drops to the floor then comes back into his hand and back to the shelf--whatever it meant.

Thanks for sharing this Peter, even if you did bend my mind ‘til it hurt. ;) Looking forward to more!
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
Trustee

I loved your stylized visuals. Reminded me of the experimental films of the late 1960s. Everything meshed together nicely; music, cuts, shots, timing. Loved your use of close-ups and thought your actor had a very photogenic face. An interesting film.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Peter,

Very experimental, interesting imagery. But I'm even older than Lorinda, and get dumber and dumber each year. So without your explanation, I wouldn't have understood what you were trying to do with the film.

But you do have a great eye for creating a mood, based on your editing. I'd like to see more entries from you because I believe your way of storytelling could be quite compelling.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Peter!

I enjoyed this film very much!

**** SPOILER ALERT **** Do not read this if you haven't seen Peters' film!

I really like your style of delivery and they way you choose to do it through black and white and most especially the editing.

Charlie Boyle has a great face for film and his subtle acting was very good.

I like abstract films. For me, it's a way of expressing something that doesn't follow the traditional line of thinking. Our minds want to "make sense" of our surroundings. As such, experimental films like these don't seem to get the credit they deserve.

My interpretation of this film could be completely different than what you, the Filmmaker, tried to convey. And that's ok.

Associate significance with the choice of three 3 on the clock. "My Name is Death" - "My Name is Age" (with the apparent blood on his face) - "My Name is Love" (while reading a book). And the three, silently delivered lines. Hmm

Playing the piano at a feverish pace. A metaphor for how fast life passes us by?

"This is Light" (after he lies down). Interesting to me that he was out of focus at that moment. His POV of the light is out of focus too. I'd equate that to a rather "dim" view on life. Then, for the first and only time, a color scene and we hear him say - This is Life while turning out the light. This seems to reinforce that idea.

So. You see? I can take all sorts of concepts and thoughts away from your film. They may not even be close to what you were saying but for me, that's ok. I enjoyed it.

Happy Holidays!

PS: I like your Undercover Films logo. Very cool! :)
Old December 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi - Thanks for the comments guys!

Hi, i really appreciate the feedback - my problem at the moment is now that I've had a camera for about a year now (well in a month at least) - now on my third of consumer camera's is trying to find a style and in terms of style i think out of all the work I've done before (for example Blood Diary which is also on my channel on youtube) it's very typical - anyone could have made it - which is why in my opinion this was the best thing i've done. So to get comments about the visionariness of the short and type of feedback i've gotten i'm really pleased. The next film i'm writing (a short film - perhaps 6mins max in length) - is going to be less experimental as i need the film to work in terms of narrative but is going to have alot more pure style in this vain. Also the theme is similar to this - so it's your guess guys what it's about. I'll reveal the title when i've got a teaser worked out and will be in another thread as I'm preety sure this is not the right thread to talk about my next film. Anyway thanks again for the feedback - no idea what my next dvchallenge project is going to be like yet but looking forward to it :)

-Peter

P.S. Thanks Bradley for the comment on the logo - made it in After Effects - its third and hopefully final iteration.
Peter Silk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!