DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC12 - Hello - Not a safe place (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/116620-dvc12-hello-not-safe-place.html)

Fredrik-Larsson March 9th, 2008 04:44 PM

DVC12 - Hello - Not a safe place

Well, here's the feedbackthread for my latest DVC-entry. Fun trivia to know is that it's shot on a Canon XH-A1. We also tested different microphones and we decided to go for a wireless and a hypercardioid. I have the Rode NTG-2 as well but it picked up more room and didn't sound as good as the others. The wireless was the best but unfortunately some movements distorted the sound of it. All in all it was better sound than earlier DVC:s I have been in but there is still room for improvement. I will do more tests on using microphones so I will know which one is best to use at what scenario.

Uhmm.. that's all for the moment.

Jim Montgomery March 10th, 2008 09:26 AM

Fredrick

Conceptually good, however the acting seemed a little forced, the timing of the whole piece seemed off a little. Tighter directing and editing could make this work really shine.

Jim

Fredrik-Larsson March 10th, 2008 10:18 AM

I agree Jim. I don't think it was the best story I have ever made either. But it turned out a bit better than I expected and a lot crazier as well. I didn't have any ending to start with either. But at least I did a short and I hope it doesn't take almost a year for me to record my next one. Damn I have been lazy... :) (though I have been acting in others shorts and feature movies as well... so I haven't been THAT lazy ;) ).

Robert Martens March 10th, 2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson (Post 840073)
I hope it doesn't take almost a year for me to record my next one. Damn I have been lazy... :)

Hey, welcome to the club! It's been over a year since I actually sent in a submission for one of these. I did help out on a film, but it wasn't my idea or script, and although I have shot a few entries for several DVCs since then, none of them were good enough to show people, and I haven't entered in ages. The way I see it, I haven't really done this since August of 2006. Beat that!

You're correct, your sound has in fact improved, I like the way this movie turned out. That big, flat wall directly behind your head did seem to add some reverb to your dialogue, but you are coming in clearly, and all of the speech is understandable.

Particularly your, shall we say, 'exclamation'. Seeing "psychooooo" on the doctor's pad was hilarious enough, but when your character reacted to it, I just burst into laughter. I couldn't contain myself, and then you go beating the guy to a pulp in the corner of the room. I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything during that scene.

A guy pummeling the snot out of his shrink is a can't-lose premise, and I think tighter editing, as suggested, could sew the whole thing up quite neatly.

Jesse Steele March 10th, 2008 05:37 PM

psychooooooo....
hahaha that was classic. I agree with the others here. tighten up the acting. No laughing and breaking character when the guy is about to punch the shrink. At first I thought you were making fun of one of those acting exercises where you read a script that is nondescript and place it into a situation of your choosing? great idea though! tighten up the direction and acting.

Great job! Congrats on getting one done!!! it took me 2 wall of shames to get back into it! So I hear ya on that!

Best of luck to you

Josh Chesarek March 10th, 2008 05:59 PM

The note pad made me laugh. I am not sure why but this type of thinking and comedy always puts a smile on my face. Adds would be for what others have said. The acting to be a little less "forced." I know this is way easier said than done. Over all though, I liked it.

Alex Chamberlain March 10th, 2008 10:22 PM

I really liked the "silly" feel of this piece and thought you pulled that off exceptionally well. This feedback is totally personal taste, but I tend to feel that harsh profanity like "The 'F' Bomb" should be excluded whenever possible, since, to me, it distracts from the content like. . . well, . . . like a bomb. For a few seconds, it's hard to concentrate on what's going on. Anyway, like I say, personal taste, but it's what I think. Overall, very well executed. Congratulations on a finished piece!

Dick Mays March 12th, 2008 06:11 AM

I grew up on military bases, and didn't even notice the F-bomb until I viewed it a second time. Seemed like a normal reaction. Reminded me of marriage counselling. Now that is a business that would go broke if they had to give a money back guarantee. Sometimes punching out your therapist is the only reasonable response.

I think the story could benefit from a little longer treatment. Maybe more time spent beating on the therapist. That is always fun to watch.
And blood... lot's of blood.

Hugh DiMauro March 12th, 2008 10:16 PM

The characters cracked me up. The accents made the movie for me. This movie had a "British humour" feel to it. Technically, well, the black spaces threw me. Was that intentional? I could not read what the therapist had printed on his notebook. It did seem a bit rough but, heck, the tone of the piece kind of saved it.

Bruce Broussard March 13th, 2008 05:24 AM

Pretty funny piece "Have you killed anyone lately" was really good. The Psycho bit and programmer lines were great. I am looking forward to your next entry.

Lorinda Norton March 13th, 2008 11:20 PM

Fredrik, we're kind of like DVC pals, right? So I can tell you that I really worry about you? ;) j/k

For me, the small talk in the beginning was the best part of the movie. Very natural from both of you, I thought. It also made me think the psychologist was every bit as much a psychooooo as the killer with the world record!

I noticed the hard lighting, which may or may not be a good thing. Tell you what other thing I really liked, though, is the angle of the psychologist looking at "me" as if I were in your place. Great impact, great way to make me feel like a part of the movie.

One more thing, that music was killer!!!!