DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   DVC Feedback! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/)
-   -   DVC12 - The Globe - Andrew Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/dvc-feedback/116668-dvc12-globe-andrew-hood.html)

Andrew Hood March 10th, 2008 12:52 AM

DVC12 - The Globe - Andrew Hood

Well I'm not on the wall of shame this time. But it shows that this is a 'last few hours' effort.

After the usual procrastination I came with a couple of ideas that would have been decent. But not enough time to organise them and make it happen. So here's plan C.

It relates to another project I'm part of. The idea is not to force an opinion but create awareness and promote questioning things we take for granted. Along the lines of... don't blame industry for greenhouse problems... blame the people who create the demand for it - consumers.

Why does inspiration seem to be inversely proportional to the time left in the challenge?

Jesse Steele March 10th, 2008 06:18 PM

I love the music building to create tension and uneasiness. great job. I don't think it looks like a last second effort at all. Good message and I think you told it appropriately

Great Job
Best of luck

Robert Martens March 11th, 2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hood (Post 839893)
Why does inspiration seem to be inversely proportional to the time left in the challenge?

Truer words were never spoken. I'm exactly the same way.

I know I had complained about environmental stuff just as this contest began, but I think you did a great job of it. Yeah, okay, it was last minute, and maybe more views of the industrial setting would add something, but it works the way it is. I can't get enough of that pounding sound underneath the picture (where'd you get that, anyway?), and that color correction as time goes on was a simple but effective technique. Seems you made good use of the little time you had left.

Bruce Broussard March 11th, 2008 03:22 PM

I agree with how well you created tension with the music. the result was a lilttle polluted though:) I have done two of these that were very last minute and I think your results good considering the time factor.

I also liked how the image changed so gradually that you could barely tell what was happening. Nice effect.

Joseph Tran March 11th, 2008 03:39 PM

I agree with the others. If I had a choice between turning in a last minute project like this one, versus turning in no project at all, it would be a no brainer. I'd do exactly what you did. This is a great piece with a great build.

In fact, the piece has such a powerful message -- perhaps you can put some text at the end letting the viewers know that they can do something about it? Whether it be a "you can do something about it now" or a link to more information... something along that line, maybe?

"Barely escaping the wall of shame"... haha, I like it. I think you did more than that.

Cheers.

Alex Chamberlain March 11th, 2008 09:45 PM

Well done on a tight (time) budget. Your message was clear and the color shift was a good idea. I felt like it brought out the smoke rising from the stacks as you watched. Good job.

Lorinda Norton March 12th, 2008 10:05 PM

It seems I’ve told you before that your movies always intrigue me because they vary so much. This one is certainly no exception.

Today, as I flew from the hazy valley in Idaho across the country to Kentucky, I thought about your entry, because I was amazed and unhappy that the “haze” seemed to be everywhere. It’s quite unsettling. Then, as I was shuttled behind some jets at O’Hare in Chicago I saw, for the first time, a line of tailpipes (is that what they call them on jets? :) rather than the fronts. I thought of your movie again. Thanks for the reminder, Andrew.

Dick Mays March 15th, 2008 10:04 AM

Don't give away the magic tricks!!! Nothing about this looks last second. Visuals and excellent music track. Where did the sound track come from?

Andrew Hood March 15th, 2008 07:01 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone. The one plus to doing things late is the pressure makes you work harder. It's just your judgment goes out the window normally.

The music/sound in the background. Initially it's the wind I created for a previous UWOL (filtered noise slowed down with echo added). That fades into a more industrial sound. I used Cool Edit to generate white noise, and there's actually a glitch in it's time resampling that caused a series of discrete bursts of noise, insterspersed with longer stints of silence. Adding an echo chamber to that, and some additional echo filled in the gaps a bit and made it more of a rhythmic beat.

I didn't have lots of time to look for music, and I haven't figured out how to make it with any audio programs yet. So this was my alternative to silence.

Robert Martens March 15th, 2008 07:54 PM

That has got to be the single coolest glitch I've ever heard of. It really sounds like machinery, I never would have guessed at how you achieved it. Great story, thanks for sharing!

Hugh DiMauro March 16th, 2008 08:23 PM

Andrew, your movie gives wonderful food for thought. We've come so far. How do we stop? See? I asked the question! Your movie did it's job!